Author Topic: The Sathanas - Warship or transport?  (Read 8666 times)

Re: The Sathanas - Warship or transport?
I always though the hud node indicator gave you the limit...

Maybe it's bigger for the shivies, given their more advanced subspace tech
All of these problems go away if we allow that the hud indicators are simply showing you the region of space you must be in to trigger the node opening, not the maximum size of the opening generated.  I'd contend the vortex expands to accommodate the vessel, though you'd still have to trigger it within the sphere shown by the hud.

Nodes that have been stabilized by a Knossos though would present a problem for obscenely massive ships of course, as they'd have to plow right through the Knossos in order to enter the node.  But those are hardly naturally occurring factors that would influence the ship designs of a culture that didn't themselves build Knossos gates.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
the damn hud-indicator is just what its named.....an INDICATOR.....marking only the spot, nothing more.....

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I noticed 2 distinct possibilities here. 

First there is nothing that says the Knossos portals and the regular jump nodes operate in the same way. 

Second even if they do then maybe the Ancients created the Knossos devices as locks to prevents the big ships from coming through.

Now back to the size limit.  What is to say that subspace is limited to this universe?  Could it touch other universes?  I can here those mad scientists now.   "Lets see if we can create a node big enough to suck our universe into that universe"   :lol:
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well you'd first have to get the entire universe to vibrate at exactly the right frequency. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Great thinking on the idea   ;):yes:

The Sathanas i think could probably be a shivan version of perhaps a deimos. Though there's far more of them. A real destroyer of the shivans would be massive! The lucifer could of been a strike warship, but maybe the shivans are continuously getting more advanced technologocically, the shivans that destroyed the ancients would of been dreadfully more primative, but still massive in number and technological, if the lucy had BFReds on it's arms, the second incursion would be 200 times (give or take) more powerfull in fire power!!

Whith the warships they will have in another 20 or a hundred years, who knows how powerfull they'll be?  :eek2: :jaw:

Great thinking on the idea   ;):yes:

The Sathanas i think could probably be a shivan version of perhaps a deimos. Though there's far more of them. A real destroyer of the shivans would be massive! The lucifer could of been a strike warship, but maybe the shivans are continuously getting more advanced technologocically, the shivans that destroyed the ancients would of been dreadfully more primative, but still massive in number and technological, if the lucy had BFReds on it's arms, the second incursion would be 200 times (give or take) more powerfull in fire power!!

Whith the warships they will have in another 20 or a hundred years, who knows how powerfull they'll be?  :eek2: :jaw:

If the Shivans advance in 20 years to the current state they are now from the state they were in FS1, then what the heck were they like 5000 years ago in the war against the Ancients? Did they toss rocks at each other or what? (Reminds me of the Orks from Warhammer 40k)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 05:39:57 pm by Gamma_Draconis »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
For all we know the Shivans could have slept for 1000's of years until we re-awoke them.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Hmm, that doesn't sound right.

Here's my view: is it possible that the Shivans have already reached the height of technology? Given that they defeated the Ancients 8000 years ago, isn't it possible that they've already gone as advanced as they can go in terms of weaponry, and can go no further?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Or they are just not trying to advance their weaponry (perhaps because they have no need to).  This still leaves the question of why they didn't have beans during the Great War though.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Maybe they try to use the minimum tech-level possible in each extermination task.

The rationale is simple: if you leave a couple disabled fighters drifting in space for a later race to find, they'll gain all the technology on those ships. So you want to keep your real big guns in reserve until they're absolutely needed.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Maybe they try to use the minimum tech-level possible in each extermination task.

The rationale is simple: if you leave a couple disabled fighters drifting in space for a later race to find, they'll gain all the technology on those ships. So you want to keep your real big guns in reserve until they're absolutely needed.

That makes them sound more like a conservative race, when they are in fact xenocidal. However, it does make sense.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
I was just about to say that :nervous:

No i was!  :lol:

Anyway, that sounds like a good theory, they have reached a peak and can go no further, or they are moving very slowly, through technology, and will only launch bigger weapons and bigger civilizations, and smaller weapons at smaller civilizations. If you sent a planet sized juggernaut that could rip through a planet (perhaps) why would you let a tiny civilization see it? Species can be very differant, one may take trillions of years to advance to subspace, others maybe able to build beam cannons after only seeing them for a month.  :nod:

The shivans didn't know how powerful the human race was, they launched a warship that could wipe through most races ( :beamz: ) but it went BOOM. They sent a Ravana, that went boom, they sent a sath, that went boom, and they kept on loosing so they got rid of their capital in a way thast would surely damage them (perhaps they didn't know how big we were, wether we could of thrashed or get thrashed by 80 Juggs). That could of been just a time buyer so they could get the big guns ready, and, BUM BUM BUM!!! Superhuge warships with OMGHUMOUNGEOUSAURUSBURGERBEAMZ lets see how good this race really is? If they win this next one

A. Well this is a big powerfull enemy this multi-race, this will really be war

B. This is a dire threat, i wonder what they'd be up against a real army

C. Hmm, this fly is starting to become a misquito, maybe we should squash it

D. "Another petty problam, hey waiter, can you get us a cup of tea? The soldiers Middle of the Orion arm in the milky way are having a little bit of a problam my dear, but if they made a co-ordinated attack I'm sure they could do it."
"But what if they loose father?"
"Oh, they won't, and if they did, we'll just send in the army from the neighbouring galaxys of NGC 4414, M104, NGC 4013, NGC 3314 and NGC 4945."

C'mon, someone prove me wrong about that one, i know someone can!! Someone can always cannonically or logically proove a theory wrong (out of the ones i've seen. Also, most of this is speculation using logic, not cannon, i mean the logic of; if Mrs Smith could be first named Johnathon, Robert, Rebecca, or Ben, I'd think it would be Mrs Rebecca Smith, that's the logic i mean.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 02:50:55 am by Killer Whale »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well I'm fairly sure you can't suck the entire universe through a subspace node. Where would it come out? :p Maybe we can say that's the limit. :D

Infinite size, infinite power...the limits will come well before that, but they will be limits of the technology, not subspace. Besides, how do you make vacuum vibrate?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

(...) The shivans didn't know how powerful the human race was, they launched a warship that could wipe through most races ( :beamz: ) but it went BOOM. They sent a Ravana, that went boom, they sent a sath (...)
C'mon, someone prove me wrong about that one, i know someone can!! Someone can always cannonically or logically proove a theory wrong (out of the ones i've seen. Also, most of this is speculation using logic, not cannon, i mean the logic of; if Mrs Smith could be first named Johnathon, Robert, Rebecca, or Ben, I'd think it would be Mrs Rebecca Smith, that's the logic i mean.
If the Shivans were aiming to exterminate us, why did they blow up Capella instead?

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
If the Shivans were aiming to exterminate us, why did they blow up Capella instead?

ngtm1r theorised that they just wanted to show the GTVA how powerful they were. That does sound a bit unorthodox for a warning, considering also the fact that Shivans are xenocidal, but I think it has some grounds for being valid.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.

and they kept on loosing so they got rid of their capital in a way thast would surely damage them (perhaps they didn't know how big we were, wether we could of thrashed or get thrashed by 80 Juggs). That could of been just a time buyer so they could get the big guns ready, and, BUM BUM BUM!!! Superhuge warships with OMGHUMOUNGEOUSAURUSBURGERBEAMZ lets see how good this race really is? If they win this next one

Good one. However, I wonder what the 'larger problem' is, of which the Shivans are 'merely a symptom', as stated by :v:.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Good one. However, I wonder what the 'larger problem' is, of which the Shivans are 'merely a symptom', as stated by :v:.

Or it could be that the Ancients (or some other race) are chasing the Shivans. :wtf:
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That has been done a hundred times in the HUGE campaigns started by n00bs that never get finished.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
That has been done a hundred times in the HUGE campaigns started by n00bs that never get finished.
No wonder nobody mentions it. :drevil:
My blog

MP-Ryan