Author Topic: Big damage  (Read 9062 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Has anyone made any updated tables with all these niggling little things fixed?

Trebs not being used against bombers, Myrmidon being able to carry the Helios but not the Harpoon, Faustus having a fighter armament on one of its turrets...

The list is endless.

I'm pretty sure the Myrm's not accidental. The other ones...maybe, but I doubt the Faustus is accidental either.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Well I can't imagine that it's deliberate. It's out of place to say the least.

Code: [Select]
$Subsystem:                     turret01, 2, 1.0
$Default PBanks:        ( "Terran Turret Weak" )
$Subsystem:                     turret02, 2, 1.0
$Default PBanks:        ( "Terran Turret Weak" )
$Subsystem:                     turret03, 2, 1.0
$Default PBanks:        ( "Terran Turret Weak" "Akheton SDG" )
$Default SBanks:        ( "Tempest" "Rockeye" )
$SBank Capacity:        ( 50,50 )
$Subsystem:                     turret04, 2, 1.0
$Default PBanks:        ( "Subach HL-7" )
$Subsystem:                     turret05, 2, 1.0
$Subsystem:                     turret06, 2, 1.0

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
It's been that way since FS1. In fact, for the FS2 tables, they assigned it FS2 weapons.

I can't imagine :v: would go through that effort, and leave it for so long, if it wasn't deliberate. It may be nonsensical, but it wasn't accidental.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Perhaps they just used Ctrl+H (in Notepad) and replaced all instances of ML-16 Laser with Subach HL-7 and all instances of Fury with Tempest and etc.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Ma'at has one, too:

Code: [Select]
$Subsystem: turret01, 3,1.0
    $Default PBanks: ( "Terran Turret" )
$Subsystem: turret02, 3,1.0
    $Default PBanks: ( "Terran Turret" )
$Subsystem: communication, 5,0.0
$Subsystem: engine, 25,0.0
$Subsystem: navigation, 5,0.0
$Subsystem: sensors, 5,0.0
$Subsystem: weapons, 15,0.0
$Subsystem: turret03, 3,1.0
    $Default PBanks: ( "Mekhu HL-7" )

Offline Snail

• SC 5
No, that turret is a "heavy" turret (it even has a different shape) and so wields a more useful weapon. The Faustus turret is an oddball because it looks exactly the same as all the others (and isn't even in a prominent position) yet has a really weird armament.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
If the Faustus was given an AAA turret, will it have a higher survival rate on a battlefield?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
There are more of these things. The Hecate's rearmost big flak cannon is much weaker than the other three, since its strength value is switched around with some other turret on the ship. This is easy to see if you look at its ships.tbl entry.

As for the Faustus, the real issue with it is that the turret armaments are not symmetric. Turrets 3 and 4 mirror each other on the ship but fire totally different weapons.

I can't imagine :v: would go through that effort, and leave it for so long, if it wasn't deliberate. It may be nonsensical, but it wasn't accidental.

They probably never noticed these things since they don't have much effect on any of the default campaign or multiplayer missions.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The Hecate's turrets are really messed up... but since they got the big beams right, noone really notices.
I wanted to say that the Iceni is messed up, but I realized that it hasn't appeared in a single mission without its turret armament different from the last time it appeared (aside from the first two where it doesn't even shoot).

The Myrmidon has to be accidental - a relic from testing or something. No logic dictates it should be carrying anti-destroyer torpedoes half its own size...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Indeed.
And it's supposed to be a space-superiority fighter, so it's supposed to spend its time killing other figthers, and yet it can't carry the GTVA's main anti-fighter missiles. Madness.

If the Faustus was given an AAA turret, will it have a higher survival rate on a battlefield?

The Hinton has AAAf turrets.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The Myrmidon has to be accidental - a relic from testing or something. No logic dictates it should be carrying anti-destroyer torpedoes half its own size...

I agree. Even if they did mean for it to be versatile enough to carry bombs, they would have given it the Cyclops. The Helios is supposed to be a special purpose weapon that even many of the bombers can't carry.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
What I like about the Myrmidon is its six gun banks.

What I don't like about the Myrmidon is that its missile banks are so small. And it doesn't even match up to the Dragon's speed and manoeuvrability.

The Helios is a special issue weapon, which means that it isn't distributed all over the GTVA.

By the way, Stilettos can be shot down, right?
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
What I like about the Myrmidon is its six gun banks.

What I don't like about the Myrmidon is that its missile banks are so small. And it doesn't even match up to the Dragon's speed and manoeuvrability.

The Helios is a special issue weapon, which means that it isn't distributed all over the GTVA.

By the way, Stilettos can be shot down, right?

Six gun banks can be very useful in some situations.  You'd be surprised how much damage six subachs can do.  If available, I like to put a Prometheus S in the quad bank, and then I usually put a morning star in the dual bank (mainly for shooting down bombs and getting fast fighters in a place where I can kill them).  Granted, its missile capacity and armor won't hold out in a long fight, but it has decent speed and maneuverability.  I like to bring the Myrmidon on missions like Endgame, where tornadoes are available and you won't have *too* many enemy fighters attacking you at once.  Overall, I think the Myrmidon is underrated because people expect it to perform well in situations where it has no place.  The Helios thing is weird though...

And yes, Stilettos can be shot down.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Six gun banks can be very useful in some situations.  You'd be surprised how much damage six subachs can do.  If available, I like to put a Prometheus S in the quad bank, and then I usually put a morning star in the dual bank (mainly for shooting down bombs and getting fast fighters in a place where I can kill them).  Granted, its missile capacity and armor won't hold out in a long fight, but it has decent speed and maneuverability.  I like to bring the Myrmidon on missions like Endgame, where tornadoes are available and you won't have *too* many enemy fighters attacking you at once.  Overall, I think the Myrmidon is underrated because people expect it to perform well in situations where it has no place.  The Helios thing is weird though...

That's probably why I initially liked the Myrmidon more than I liked the Hercules Mark II. :D
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
4 Kysers an 2 disruptors work well too. 

From the description of the Myrmidon:  "This versatility enables Myrmidon squadrons to fulfill a range of combat roles, from light assault to heavy reconnaissance."

Seems to me heavy recon would need bombs of some type.  I always looked at it as the Myr was designed around the ability to carry Helios in a long range strike capacity where both aspects of a fighter and bomber would be needed. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Solatar

It's not like it can carry a LOT of Helios. I think the large 3rd bank can carry two. If you made the Myrmidon able to carry Cyclops, it could then carry several torpedos. Even though the torpedos are more damaging, carrying less still gives the illusion you're not toting around a bunch of bombs.

I'd think they'd be quite useful in a surgical strike capacity. A Myrmidon isn't designed to bring down a warship, but you can knock out a Fenris maybe a Leviathan and knock out some systems and turrets on larger warships.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
It's not like it can carry a LOT of Helios. I think the large 3rd bank can carry two. If you made the Myrmidon able to carry Cyclops, it could then carry several torpedos. Even though the torpedos are more damaging, carrying less still gives the illusion you're not toting around a bunch of bombs.

I'd think they'd be quite useful in a surgical strike capacity. A Myrmidon isn't designed to bring down a warship, but you can knock out a Fenris maybe a Leviathan and knock out some systems and turrets on larger warships.

If the Myrmidon is designed to do surgical strikes, it would've been configured to carry the Stiletto.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline eliex

If the Myrmidon is designed to do surgical strikes, it would've been configured to carry the Stiletto.

It seems then that the Myrmidon is the assassin of the GTVA.    :P

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Zeta wing, I know you're just on a scout mission, but will you take the beams off of that Sathanas please? Thanks.