Author Topic: Japanese Localization Patch for FreeSpace 2 is released  (Read 20387 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Japanese Localization Patch for FreeSpace 2 is released
A few off-topic posts have been pruned to another thread.  Sorry about the interruption, Komet.

This is really great stuff. :) Not only is the entire translation and character usage a feat in and of itself, but those are some really cool visual effects that I'm really hoping the team will be able to merge into the SCP codebase.  With any luck, someone will eventually be able to implement true UTF-8 support, so that this and any other future translations can be handled natively.

New version is released. No new features but rendering bug fixes.

- Fixed a bug that fonts are not rendered properly on Radeon.
- It now works fine with anti-aliasing enabled on your video driver.
FreeSpace 2 Japanese Localization Project Lead
http://stardogs.netgamers.jp/

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I ported the some of the beam effects from to the fs open. Next probably taking look at the lead indicator or hull explosions on bigger ships.. or flash, but then again to me the flash just seems just another standard particle effect (only with predefined name)
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

I ported the some of the beam effects from to the fs open. Next probably taking look at the lead indicator or hull explosions on bigger ships.. or flash, but then again to me the flash just seems just another standard particle effect (only with predefined name)

ty for porting!

Flash is not really a standard particle: radius is reduced as it fades. It is a small thing but it makes flash look good.

About flash and hull explosions, it would be good to have them as optional params in weapons.tbl, rather than hard coding.

It might be good to do further discussion about impact explosions in this topic:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=63435.0

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
So what happened with this? Any related builds come out of it? Any progress being done?

Offline gavilatius

• kicking butt... gradius style
i wonder if japanese people play freespace?
any one beat the last boss yet?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
 :rolleyes: Obviously, or we wouldn't have this.

i wonder if japanese people play freespace?

Sadly, not many of Japanese people play space sims. Space sims have never been popular in Japan.

Unlike PC-AT in world wide, main stream PC in Japan was PC-9801 series for a long time. This PC was not good for action games and thus games like Wing Commander and X-Wing were not ported. Japanese people did not have good chance to play those games when those games were very popular outside of Japan.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well hopefully, your efforts will enable a few Japanese speakers out there to find out what they've been missing. :)

Offline Asakura

Yeh unfortunately this game was never really popular in Japan... those who played it loved it, but otherwise it was not really well known :/