Author Topic: Cannot click "Play" in wxLauncher  (Read 4506 times)

Cannot click "Play" in wxLauncher
Before i get to the issue, i just want to say that even though i haven't played yet, and just going by the trailer and the Good Game review (which was the first i had heard of this project), FRAK YEAH!!!! WELL DONE!!!

Please bear with me, may seem like a wall of text but just want to provide as much info as possible, sorry  :D

Well i downloaded the torrent for the Windows version, verified it after it finished, downloaded the patch then installed both with no issue. Running the shortcut in start menu, I set my res for 1920 x 1080 in basic tab then disabled vsync in advanced tab and saved profile. This was when i realized there was no "Play" button in bottom right corner of wxLauncher  :eek2:  "oh well" i say to myself, then i reboot and try again.

For a split second i see both the "help" and "play" buttons, then they both disappear when the msg "Detected openAL version: 1.1" basically takes over the bar. I minimize the launcher then restore, both buttons appear again yet i cant click either of em :P

There is more than one way to skin a cat they say, so i ran the exe from the Diaspora Directory, it loads perfectly, but in windowed mode at 1440 X 900 :D i can set pilot name and get to menu (which looks FRAKING AWESOME!!!!) i can listen to briefing of 1st mission but the Windows taskbar blocks the "Start Mission" button and i cant click.

Could someone tell me what i am doing wrong and how to fix this (imo) minor problem so i can play at 1080p full screen please??

I am using:
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
AMD Phenom II 550
2GB DDR 2
HIS 1gb 6850

Thank you for you time in reading this and for your future help :D

Re: Cannot click "Play" in wxLauncher
very short term solution while waiting for an actual solution from someone clever would be to 'auto-hide' your taskbar, after rightclicking taskbar and going to properties.

thanks for the reply :D No offence, but I did think of doing that but nah, i want to experience this in full screen, the way it was developed :D Il "wait and see" if anyone has a full solution to this :D again thanks for your reply :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Run the debug version and give us the debug log. Instructions can be found here.

That should give us a little more information about what is going on.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

here is the log file that was generated. thanks for the reply :D

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well one issue I spotted straight away is that you've ticked the Advanced Settings->Dev Tool->Run in window option. That's why it isn't running full screen. You're also running in 1024x768 x 16-bit and still getting part of your screen trimmed away? What resolution are you running your desktop in? Cause the launcher issue sounds like one I get on my netbook when I run in 1024x600.

here are some screenies of my settings in the launcher, in next post i got one of first screen in game

i run desktop at 1920 x 1080

here is the screeny. thank you very much for your time and patience lol :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
i run desktop at 1920 x 1080

It seems to me that something is screwy with your desktop. Diaspora is still running in a window sized 1024x768 (try saving the profile if you can't click play). More strangely I don't believe you're actually running in 1920x1080. The Launcher Window is 645x700 in size (or thereabouts. I just cropped a picture of it to grab the size) yet your launcher seems to take up almost the entire screen even though you should have around 300 pixels of height left. The width settings make even less sense. The launcher seems to take up most of the screen not 1/3 of it like it should.

I think you're running your desktop in 1280x720. It would explain all the symptoms and the screenshots I'm looking at.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Have you changed DPI settings or set windows to use large icons? because that start button is huge.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline borizz

Right click on your desktop -> Screen Resolution -> make text and other items larger or smaller

Is the setting there 100% or are you running it higher? While you're at it, look at the left side of the window and find the DPI setting, (set custom text size) and return it to 100% and try it again.

You might want to jot down the values if you prefer the big ass interface, so you can put them back.

Doh!! that was my problem. Sorry Peeps !!   :wtf:  ;) :D
I have higher DPI settings cause i have the PC hooked up to lounge tv 32" lcd,  so i can still read text etc in files\folders (or else i need a telescope from the couch to read anything lol).  didnt think it would be an issue lol, only other game iv had an issue with DPI is Starcraft II.

Anyway thanks for the all help Peeps, it's all working now. Play button works. Just have to change DPI settings everytime i want to play.

Now to take some Toaster's out!!! 

BTW didnt know The Babylon Project was here, havnt played for 2 years or something, might have to have another look. Been wanting (neeeeeed) to take a White Star for a spin :D

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:00:36 am by scifi983 »

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Doh!! that was my problem. Sorry Peeps !!   :wtf:  ;) :D
I have higher DPI settings cause i have the PC hooked up to lounge tv 32" lcd,  so i can still read text etc in files\folders (or else i need a telescope from the couch to read anything lol).  didnt think it would be an issue lol, only other game iv had an issue with DPI is Starcraft II.

Anyway thanks for the all help Peeps, it's all working now. Play button works. Just have to change DPI settings everytime i want to play.

Now to take some Toaster's out!!! 

BTW didnt know The Babylon Project was here, havnt played for 2 years or something, might have to have another look. Been wanting (neeeeeed) to take a White Star for a spin :D

there's a compatibility setting where you can disable scaling for high dpi values, just right click on the exe you're running and go to properties.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife