Author Topic: Apollo Hitbox Oddities  (Read 6877 times)

Offline Tarvis

Apollo Hitbox Oddities
With port .VPs, I find that lasers tend to go through the ship completely in many places, for example the upper engines on the back of the ship. Doesn't happen in retail. Here's some screenshots depicting problem areas.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: Apollo Hitbox Oddities
Can someone confirm this?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I remember having difficulties to hit Apollos in some Pre-GW-era campaigns, which correspond to the areas pointed above. It was, however, with the Gamma Three-Niner style Apollo that is hanging around somewhere, but I guess they share the same hitboxes (it's supposed to be nothing more than a retexturing)
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Tarvis

It would be useful if FSO had a Show Hitboxes dev feature/debug option to show what's going on. It could be perhaps that the hitbox is simply off-center.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I imagined that weapons use collision detection to determine impact, and only subsystems are dealt with by using hit boxes...  :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Tarvis

I imagined that weapons use collision detection to determine impact, and only subsystems are dealt with by using hit boxes...  :nervous:
Either way, whatever specifies collision detection isn't working correctly in this case.

Also it should be noted that the shield mesh is fine, just the hull is not.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I haven't noticed any shot going through the Apollo, but I continually get the impression that it's harder to kill than it probably should be.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Tarvis

Irregardless, a good testing level for this is Training Mission 1.

As long as you don't target him (or you target him while in third person) then he should be completely stationary.

Offline Water

Can someone confirm this?
A simple method to use without a lot of mission testing, go into the lab - turn transparency on.

Look at the Apollo and Angel first - the fractured triangle look is bad. Then look at the other fighters to compare.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Wow, that's a really helpful technique there. Nice. :D

Ok, so having just gone through everything, the Herc2 topside is partially suspect, and the pegassus and meson bomb are VERY suspect from that test method.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Irregardless

:mad:

don't mind me, just being a language fascist!

Offline Tarvis

A simple method to use without a lot of mission testing, go into the lab - turn transparency on.
Aha, I think this is possibly due to the normals on the faces facing inward on most faces. I guess collision only apply for the direction normals face.

Anyway, here is a list of ships that show this problem in the lab (I am assuming proper behavior is slightly see-through, not all or nothing on some faces)

GTF Apollo
GTF Angel
GTFr Chronos (Chronos #medical does not show this problem)
Terran Probe
Nameplate area of unnamed GTD Orion
GTD Polaris Extension
GTD Polaris Pylon
PVF Anubis
PVDr Jackal
PVFr Bast
PVI Karnak
Karnak Reactor (and #cargo)
PVI Shah Extension
PVI Shah Pylon
Vasudan NavBuoy (and #destructible)
SF Scorpion
SF Gorgon
SD Demon (and #scan)

Missiles:
EVERY SINGLE MISSLE MODEL except for:
Barracuda
All Shivan missiles (incl. #Shivan variants)
Type One
Shrapnel
S_Cluster
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:15:28 am by Tarvis »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Mmph, about half of those are ones I converted. That could just be because they're Port-specific, though.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Water

Mmph, about half of those are ones I converted. That could just be because they're Port-specific, though.
Most of the models I find with that problem, I suspect originate from the Max pof exporter.
Aha, I think this is possibly due to the normals on the faces facing inward on most faces. I guess collision only apply for the direction normals face.
Unfortunately not that simple. The normals have to face out (or be double sided) otherwise you wouldn't see them at all.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I've never had collision problems with any missile model, ever. I think that the game must provide a fixed hitbox for missiles or something, because they will hit any model that doesn't have collision holes every time.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I've never had collision problems with any missile model, ever. I think that the game must provide a fixed hitbox for missiles or something, because they will hit any model that doesn't have collision holes every time.

A radius, actually. And I think it may actually be 2x as big because of the centering (most
missile models have their 'center' at the rear of the missile)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Weapon radius is used only for weapon / weapon collisions and the usually large radius is in this case also usually doubled (unless special flags are in use) making bombs easier to hit.

Weapon radius seems to ignored in most of the other checks.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light