Author Topic: HTL Anubis  (Read 20849 times)

Took me some time to complete, but the main shape of the model is complete. Right now, I`m mapping it, but if you got some comments, suggestions, now it would be the best time :)

..That`s how it looks..

EDIT: image reuploaded
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:45:25 am by PL_Harpoon »
no.one

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Cool! I'd like to see it mapped soon :D
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

the wing greebles are too tall
other than that its looking nice
id suggest some detail to the gunpoints, sorta like what you did with the valkyrie

Offline Kaine

holy smoothing errors batman!

OK they aren't that bad but there's a few at the back. smoothing errors can mean the difference between an awesome and a ****e model imho.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Agreed that the wing greebles are too tall, but other than that and maybe a bit more detail on the belly, that's great. :D
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

holy smoothing errors batman!

OK they aren't that bad but there's a few at the back. smoothing errors can mean the difference between an awesome and a ****e model imho.

Yeah, I noticed them after posting the picture. They`re fixed now.
no.one

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Gorgeous! Again, the wing panels are too thick... but, I'd also like to see them beveled more instead of stuck out at 90 degrees from the hull.

So, where's the pilot, in the top or on the bottom?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Gorgeous! Again, the wing panels are too thick... but, I'd also like to see them beveled more instead of stuck out at 90 degrees from the hull.

So, where's the pilot, in the top or on the bottom?

Well, that`s a good question. I haven`t thought about it yet, but it looks like this is the only two-seated fighter in FS2 :)

And the panels are beveled, but they were too high to see it.
I`ve fixed it, and you can see it on the same link.

As for the guns, i`ve left them that way for a reason. I`ve looked at some Vasudan fighters and all of them have guns more smooth, than complex. And, the Anubis is itself a little different, than other Vasudan designs, so I left at least the guns :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:49:08 am by PL_Harpoon »
no.one

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
MUCH nicer! That's the way you do it! :D

Well, that`s a good question. I haven`t thought about it yet, but it looks like this is the only two-seated fighter in FS2 :)

Erm... it's not in FS2, and it's not the only two seater. But anyhow, the Anubis is a flying coffin designed for high casualty swarming and kamikaze attacks. Why in Vega would they put two Vasudans in there?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Holy ****, you are a skilled dude. I wasn't expecting that. :yes:

On SG, we agreed that we could place a sensor array/communications equipment/weaponry heatsink sort of thing inside one of the glass housing things.

Erm... it's not in FS2, and it's not the only two seater. But anyhow, the Anubis is a flying coffin designed for high casualty swarming and kamikaze attacks. Why in Vega would they put two Vasudans in there?
Well, I can`t remember any other two seated fighter...
Anyway, perhaps it is a very old design, and some day it was a great fighter, but now it`s produced only because it`s cheap. This would explain different design and lack of an afterburner. And of course, the question why it needs two pilots. Perhaps later one of them was replaced by the computer, but the cockpit was left just i case...
no.one

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I don't think there should be two cockpits. That would mess up my conscience by two.

Ok. In the place of one pilot i`ll make some machinery, that has do do the things earlier done by the copilot :)
I don`t want to remove or replace the whole "glossy thing" cause it`s clearly seen in the original one:

and I want to make this one just the more detailed version.
no.one

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I agree, I hate it when HTL people completely change the concept of the ship. But IMO, just 1 pilot is suicidal enough, sending two into a deathbox is just downright ugly. Especially given that they are sometimes used as kamikaze ships.

Well, you were killing them both all the time. They were just... covered :P
no.one

Offline Solatar

Same comments as before on the wings, but that's awesome; I love it.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Can someone upload the latest best looking image of it to imageshack in a 320x240 version, and post a direct link here, as I want to see it. And the Valkyrie one. Please? It's the only way I can view them ( unless each 320x240 image is larger than 50kb).

Offline MarkN

The front glossy area looks like it should be a turret (with the guns on either side). What if the original version (storywise) was in fact a bomber (not a big one, but something more similar to the naval dive bombers of WW2). If that small thing carried a very large bomb, it's manouvrability could go low enough to need a turret. In more modern times, the Vasudan have larger bombers with internal bomb bays, and so the Anubis, which is very cheap (and reasonably manouvrable without the bomb), has become a fighter with fixed guns and a more advanced sensor suite in the turret housing.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The front glossy area looks like it should be a turret (with the guns on either side). What if the original version (storywise) was in fact a bomber (not a big one, but something more similar to the naval dive bombers of WW2). If that small thing carried a very large bomb, it's manouvrability could go low enough to need a turret. In more modern times, the Vasudan have larger bombers with internal bomb bays, and so the Anubis, which is very cheap (and reasonably manouvrable without the bomb), has become a fighter with fixed guns and a more advanced sensor suite in the turret housing.
I'm against that idea, something that major would probably be at least mentioned in the tech description. Also, the Anubis has miniscule secondary capacity and is actually quite fast and maneuverable if you ignore its lack of afterburner. And it makes no sense to leave your turret structure there if you're just going to gut it and replace it with something completely different. Its lack of meaningful weaponry and high maneuverability relative to a bomber lead me to the conclusion that it is nothing more than a light skirmish fighter, as described in its loadout statistics, deployed only because of its cheap cost for construction. (Also, it makes no sense to upgrade cheap things you're just going to throw at the enemy red army style)

And it doesn't look like a turret. :P

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Am I the only one who thinks the panels should be facing inwards...