Author Topic: Bringing up an old idea FS, the RPG  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Bringing up an old idea FS, the RPG
Well i'm fixing to take a few of my fellow Starwars RPG buddies and play some D&D ,..actually most likely using the new Ravenl;oft edition (Thank GOD it was re-released) But while sifting through the www.wizards.com site I found something of intrest.

the D20 rules system is completely Open License

http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=srd

So for the most part if ppl were still interested in compiling a "netbook" to port FS over as a pen/paper/dice RPG most all the rules are predone.

Then aside from background info on the FS universe , writting up classes, stats for Vasudens and Shivans and all the ships, it's basically predone ;)

Just thought this info might be of interest to someone :)
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon

To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
I don't really have an opinion in that, since I ain't a fan of D&D, but hell, if it's Freespace, lets do it.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Well it's not really D&D ...it's merely the rules used. Same rules system was used for the StarWars RPG.
Warlock

Offline Anaz

<--- D&D guy, world creator, etc...

hehe...D&D fighter combat...

E-mail me warlock...we can talk about this a bit...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Its not a bad idea. I don't have much love for D20--actually I hate it with a passion I normally reserve for GURPS, but I can forgive the system to have a Freespace RPG. :D

Out of curiosity, why not use Alternity? Its already got most of your space-stuff rules set up.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Yeh, but not having people to play with takes the fun out of it. ;)
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Shrike
Yeh, but not having people to play with takes the fun out of it. ;)

Hey, I'll play it! Just set it up at a decent hour, and I'm in! :)
Probably away. Contact through email.

Though I bought the book, Alternity seemed to technical to learn. Seems kinda dumb, they must have known that 3ED was in the works yet the made a whole new system that is not compatible with anything but itself.

Star wars uses the 3ED rules so the D&D peeps can bring their fav characters to bare against Darth maul and the rest. :nod:

It may be the system to use for FS RPG.

There is another system out there called DRAGONSTAR. It mixes both technology and science and has good 3ED intergration but may not be as suitable... Just thought I'd throw it out there.

It's a thought provoking idea, FS RPG. I like more hands on action though for my space combat.

How about FS BattleTech Crossover. Instead of dropships we got carriers? LOL

Nothing like an 18 hex charge in veritech mode so my fighter can crash land mostly intact but my victim's mech gets hit on the upper table (ie head)... Baboom baby! ;7
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Originally posted by Styxx

Hey, I'll play it! Just set it up at a decent hour, and I'm in! :)

Ditto, time is the only problem - other than where would we play, IRC?
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Actually the original idea I had was to create a netbook for playing out a PERSON in the FS universe just as one playing Starwars RPG decides to play a noble or fringer or what not. Not really a "let's roll dice to see how many fighters I blow up" type thing.

Like Starwars space combat would be included...but doesn't have to really be the focus of the game.

(Hell in the last 4 months we've played...we have only been in space at all twice,..hehe once in a Lambda "whoops we lost and engine, got a Victory class pissed at us and a flight of TIES...of look...a planet coming up fast...ummm sh!t" shuttle and once running like mad in a stolen POS Falcon wannabe once we learned we crashed on an imperial starport :D
Warlock

Offline Xian

Hrm, sounds good.

But i have to tell you.

I was severly disappointed with the text version of Pong!!
-Sexy

The Official Sex Symbol Of PXO!

"Coming To A Trailor Park In You're Area Soon!!"

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
LMFAO!
Warlock

Offline untouchable

• Fear the DA...
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/da
I've got a forum that we could use for this if you are interested :nod:
"The Darkness shall  befall us all."
-Commander William Wright

"Violence is merely the means of the incompotent"
-Felix Steighner
----------------------
The Darkness is Coming

Untouchable has spoken :D

Offline Kazashi

Now I like the sound of that idea. I know that I'd want to play a paper RPG version of Freespace - I still play BattleTech when I get the opportunity (which is decreasing rapidly) - so as long as I don't have to put up with things like Star Wars crossovers I think it'll work well :)
Blatant advertising #1: Keep the Blood flowing!

Blatant advertising #2: Visit TheDDRZone now!

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
I should just ressurect my IRC FS game.... I'll have to get the dice script, but that shouldn't be too hard....
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Didn't I happen across that once? I don't seem to remember..
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
BTW: would it be really systematic.. like character sheets, Check rolls, saving throws etc. That'd be especially (well maybe) difficult with IRC...
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Which was why I never intended this as anything for IRC.

Anyone that plays most RPGs...AD&D ...Whitewolf's game...etc...and does a little looking at the bigger fansites should have the idea....a netbook rules supplement.

The only net parts normally :

The ppl working on it
Settiing it up for download to others.

You just add it to your books and have fun with your friends in town or whereever.
Warlock

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
I'm definately going to have to ressurect it then.  You guys don't know how it's played, it's very simple.

No characters sheets (Except for character descriptions and stuff), no stats..... it's all interactions.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
What's with the dice script then? That sounds good except for the potential power-gaming from a minimal rule environment.
 (you should see the DD at my school :mad2: some of them are so stupid it's not even funny - even the DM)