Author Topic: Just a thought....  (Read 3211 times)

Here's something, so the node between Sol and Delta Serpentis was destroyed, but FS 2 is like 32 years later, if you beemed a transmission from Alpha Centarui (something like 1.5 LYs from Sol) it would be a 3 year round trip communication cycle, although not too great, it wouldn't be like Sol was completely lost and severed, and after 30 some odd years, Sol would seem very much so alive...

Just a thought...

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Yeah, alot of people have suggested this. No real reason why not, other that it'd only ever be a minor plot development.

Oh and it'd be about 8 years if memory serves.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Originally posted by an0n
Yeah, alot of people have suggested this. No real reason why not, other that it'd only ever be a minor plot development.

Oh and it'd be about 8 years if memory serves.
Alpha Centauri is 4 light years from earth, which means its an 8 year round trip.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
4.3 Light years from Sol to Alpha Centauri.

The interesting thing is that FS2 suggests that they believe that Earth's civilisation has collapsed but never give any reason for saying that.  
 I think that they say that cause Earth hasn`t made contact with the GTVA even though it's had plenty of time to do so. The GTVA has probably sent messages to Earth but has kept it secret cause it's very demoralising to hear that Earth has yet again failed to reply.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
They probably tried to send messages but never got any response. That'd be why they think Earth has decended into chaos.
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
or maybe they do have replied, but the answer was as demoralizing, and therefore kept secret. Even with gvts collpased and all, I suppose scientists would still have a way or another to keep working.
SCREW CANON!

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Maybe all they got back was strange EM pulses.

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Guys! Where are your manners???:eek:

WELCOME TO HLPBB!!! ENJOY YOUR STAY!:thepimp:

WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR COMPUTERS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUM WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Mmmm and exits are in the left and rear. Shotguns are under your seats. I forget the rest, go find it yourself...:D
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
:thepimp:

Bah! Your green-hat pimp is no match for............my red-hat pimp

Mwuahahaha. |>|-|34/Z me.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Isn't there something somewhere about FS communications systems?  Seems to me like I read/heard somewhere that the GTVA uses some sort of microburst technology that can travel something like 32.4 lightyears instantly before losing strength.  So contact with earth should never have been severed.  Either some fan fiction or a tech room thing, I can't remember which.  But if it is actually out there somewhere, sanctioned or published by :v:, then contact with earth would be simple.

Oh, and you may read the tech room briefing on earth (information section) when you get a chance.  It explains a lot of these things.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
I don't know where you got that from, StratComm.  Must have been fan fiction, I think.

Radio communication should still have been possible, it is true, but even still, it wouldn't be much of a conversation.  Assuming anyone had answered a signal from the GTVA, which they obviously didn't according to the tech room, it would have gone something like this.

GTA: "Are you all dead?"

*eight years later*

Earth: "Not yet.  There's civil war between the inner and outer planets, though."

Terran radio guys from the Antares Federation operating in Vasudan-controlled Alpha Centauri: "Well, let us know how it goes, eh?"

*eight years later*

Earth: "All things are under control, now that the Glorious General Rashtalin is in command.  All will surrender to his Gloriousness's command!"

GTVA: "Right... Okay then, umm... yeah."

*eight years later*

Earth: "What? What was that all about?  'Umm... yeah' what?"

GTVA: "General Rashtalin.  Wasn't he in control of things?  What the hell is going on there?"

*eight years later*

Earth: "Hey, this is, like, totally cool!  My dad bought this old government space transceiver thingy a couple of years ago, after he took control of the energy sector or somethin'.  Are you guys, like, in Cappella or somethin'?  That'd be totally far out, man."

GTVA: "This is the Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance.  Is there anyone there besides beach-bum kids playing with former government property?  We've just had another encounter with the Shivans, and we've also got some technology that might be able to reopen the link between Sol and Delta Serpentis.  We wish to speak with the heads of government in the the Sol system, if there are any.  HelloooOOOOoooooooo?"

:D
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
:ha: That reminded me of the intro from Contact (gooood movie) where you zoom out from Earth picking up radio waves, and you just hear broadcasts going back in time...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Well, I guess the only way we'll know for sure is if they make a FS 3 (for crying out loud they should) it would be very interesting because of what they learned from the knossos they might have regained physical contact with earth, new jump nodes could be opened up to fresh new unexplored star systems (with perhaps hostile alien species, more clues and evidence about the antcient's civilization and lost reminants of the shivan fleet) AND the wormhole the shivan fleet opened up at cappella (although would they actually want to know what was on the other side with 50 some odd shivan juggernaughts?) so much possibility lie ahead for the series, i really hope volition decides to do something with it.  (and hopefully the space combat simulation genre will make a come back as well...)

anyway back to the original point, maybe with the callapse of the sol jump node came a cataclymsic subspace rift that effectively sucked up all electromagnetic communications and distorted it beyond recognition, or something like that...

oh and thanks Corsair for the warm welcome...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Corsair
WELCOME TO HLPBB!!! ENJOY YOUR STAY!:thepimp:

Indeed... nice to have you here. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline TheVirtu

• Firedancer
    • http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
You know, its a real shame there was only one fricken way in or out of the Sol system quickly. Even if they did contact with these messages sent through systems, by the time anyone would recieve them, either side could be gone, a lot can happen in that amount of time anyways.

As far as we know, the Earth could have been destroyed or is in total chaos, they would be trying todo the same thing as us. It would be funny if they opened them at the same time and passed one another in subspace. By then Earth would have completely different designs from the GTVA.

But if they construct the Knossos portal in Delta Serpintis, it would in my opinion take around another 5-10 years to complete anyways.

Oh yeah, and Welcome to Hard Light Productions, you can find a shotgun under your seat in case of an emergency. The admins locked the doors so we can't escape even if we wanted to. :)
Project Leader of the Ascension of Beyond Campaign
"There was a time of peace, this time is over, peace will be paid for in blood."
Site Director of the Auto Assault Outpost- http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Site Director of the Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace
Former Webmaster of i82.co.uk - Shut Down 2/12/03
"If HLP wants your developing, they'll promote you to Senior Engineer, now shutup and focus!" - Shi
Think of the Coke machines! What did they ever do to you![/b]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think that they say that cause Earth hasn`t made contact with the GTVA even though it's had plenty of time to do so. The GTVA has probably sent messages to Earth but has kept it secret cause it's very demoralising to hear that Earth has yet again failed to reply.

That is an interesting idea, and it could well be true, as real life governments have been known to do this sort of thing to prevent a "social meltdown."

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Yeah. The kind of thing that national governments have done on Earth through propaganda and misinformation is startling. I would hate to concede that that thing could happen on a galactic scale... but it probably will, knowing us humans. :(
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Sad, sad things we are...
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Actually I think that in this case it makes sense to restrict this type of information to high government and military officials; humans are very timid in general and large groups would not react well to such a situation. (Vasudans are said to have similar characteristics, though not to such extremes) For a time, it might be better that they not know of Earth's demise, if only to prevent the anarchist movement and the downfall of galactic Terran civilization that is sure to follow.

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
Someome mentioned earlier only getting strange EM pulses in response.

Somehow this wouldn't surprise me.  Old theory: Capella trashed so the Shivans can invade Earth.  Da Da Da.
"Why does it want me to say my name?"