Author Topic: Spaceforce Rogue Universe next try at FS3?  (Read 6344 times)

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
I hate My signature!

Offline miskat

Re: Spaceforce Rogue Universe next try at FS3?
Vid does indeed look interesting.  I'll have to take a loot into this.  Not sure I like the HUD or the lead indicator, though.  =/

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
We don't need to be the best pilots in the universe. In Freespace, if your opponent is Alpha1, you know you're gonna die.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Interesting video, the music was incredibly FS2-esque.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Looks alot, and i mean alot like freelancer.I tried the demo but it wouldn't work on my computer. :hopping:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Damn! another mouse shooter... :mad: well at least i got my FPS experience to handle that! :)
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Freelancer 2!!!!

What? Oh.

ya. thats what i thought.  :doubt:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I've got to say that I think the mouse-flight space combat games are here to stay.  Why?  Dropping money on a joystick, when they are only useful in one or two different types of game doesn't make sense to the average user anymore.  If the flight sim genre and space action genres hadn't crapped out, the joystick market would probably still be thriving, but the genres lost steam, so joystick sales tanked.  (The situation is a really ugly, cyclic thought process now:  You can't make a game depend on joysticks because they aren't prevalent, but joysticks aren't prevalent because there aren't many games that support/require them.)  In order for the genres to regain a solid user base, they need to adopt mouse-keyboard configurations for broader appeal.

Now, for all of FreeLancer's faults, I think they did a pretty respectable job of creating an intuitive mouse-keyboard control scheme, where other space combat games had half-assed the task, expecting users to have or buy joysticks.  That makes FreeLancer's gameplay the formula to build on and refine for the next several years.  Okay, FreeLancer was certainly no gem, in and of itself, but neither was the first Command & Conquer game, but when you look at the series' successors, they got progressively better, to the point where even modern RTS games still have that little seed of C&C floating around at their respective cores.  In ten years, I think we'll be seeing more space action games that still hang onto FreeLancer's basic control scheme.  Why?  Because it's intuitive; it works, and it doesn't require you double the cost of your game with the addition of your first joystick.

What got me in a twist about FreeLancer, before the game hit shelves, was the choice to completely drop joystick support.  While I fully agree with and support the decision of developers to design the game around mouse-keyboard configurations, it's really, really weak to nix joystick configurations entirely.  I had other complaints about the game, but nothing hit me quite so early or hard as the loss of joystick support.

At any rate, Rogue Universe looks nifty right now, but really, when has a publisher ever put out a trailer that makes a game they're producing look like crap?  I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this game, but I'll withhold judgement for now.

they should include mouse flight, i agree. but they should AT LEAST make a joystick compatible.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
If they are using DirectInput, then, as far as I'm aware, it wouldn't be hard to add Joystick support. I suppose the problem is the scarcity of Joysticks these days, as was mentioned before, it's a vicious circle.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Feels way too cheesy.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

the game or the idea of joystick + mouse steering?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I think he means the game. I used to have a joystick long ago, a Microsoft Sidewinder. Damn, that was one of the best joysticks i ever had!

..... Actually, it was the .... only ... joystick I ever had.  :wtf:

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
The title itself looks full of cheesiness.  Still looks interesting, but it really hasn't gotten many good reviews from the players
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

I think he means the game. I used to have a joystick long ago, a Microsoft Sidewinder. Damn, that was one of the best joysticks i ever had!

Oh, hell ya...i remember having that. It busted a long time ago...damn, i loved that thing :(
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Dang you phreak. I got rick rolled again >.>

I used the Sidewinder to play Hellbender and Fury. Of course, a 8 yr old didn't get very far, but still fun.

i played it up until the time multiplayer died for freespace 2...i have no idea when that happened, it was so long ago for my pathetic memory  :)
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

SFRU is a very moddable engine.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen anything to mod the AI, which is broken like *everything* else in the game.  It's like someone ended the the AI target selection with if (inrange(player) && hostile(player)) then target = player.  IE, you're target number one, all the time.  Combat against more then 2 enemies if therefore very difficult.

And that's before you get into the stuff that desperately needs to be modded - the absurd "take a mission for anyone, including the targets" mission system, the crappy mission design to begin with, the laughably bad plot, and the MMORPG level timesink of a leveling system.

Modders are going to have their hands full just modding the suck out of retail.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Interesting video, the music was incredibly FS2-esque.

Not just that, but alot of everything else as well, like the way the ship moved in third person.

I'm really wondering if :v: licensed out the game engine. Everything is just too similar.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.