Author Topic: [WIP] SCv Moloch  (Read 31074 times)

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
The Greebles are too thick.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         :p :yes:

Lol
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
@Dragon: I believe you are referring to the hairdo called a "Mohawk", named after a Native American tribe which presumably did their hair like that.
Right. Around here, it's called a "Cherokee", but I knew that that the name doesn't function in US. But yeah, I was referring to this one.

Offline Hellzed

In France, we call it an "Iroquois"...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I guess quite a few Native American tribes must've used it, then. :)

Offline Mpez

Awesome model. Can't wait to see how those greebles will look like textured.

In France, we call it an "Iroquois"...

So... made a research and found that it's Irokese in German, irokez in Polish, irokéz in Czech, irokėzų in Lithuanian - ok, it's obviously a French loanword. I wonder why we don't call it an iroquois in English. I mean, I get it that it's from the tribe, but it's interesting that the French version wasn't used in English.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The Mohawk people were part of the Iroquois Confederacy, so the name "Mohawk" for the hairstyle is just a more specific form of "Iroquois."  If Wiki is to be believed, though, what we usually call a "Mohawk" today is far closer to the traditional hairstyle of the Pawnee tribe than what the Mohawk themselves wore, so technically nobody's right. :p

Offline Mpez

The Mohawk people were part of the Iroquois Confederacy, so the name "Mohawk" for the hairstyle is just a more specific form of "Iroquois."

I am aware of that. I'm just curious language-wise, why wasn't the French version popular in English, as I understand both languages started using those names at a similar time. I assume it's probably just "because".

If Wiki is to be believed, though, what we usually call a "Mohawk" today is far closer to the traditional hairstyle of the Pawnee tribe than what the Mohawk themselves wore, so technically nobody's right. :p
Interesting. Now I need to fred in Native American music every time the Moloch warps in in my campaigns.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:37:15 am by Mpez »

The Mohawk people were part of the Iroquois Confederacy, so the name "Mohawk" for the hairstyle is just a more specific form of "Iroquois."

I am aware of that. I'm just curious language-wise, why wasn't the French version popular in English, as I understand both languages started using those names at a similar time. I assume it's probably just "because".
Possibly because no English-speaking Americans could make sense of how to pronounce "Iroquois"? :)

Great work as usual, Rga! Although personally I'm not a fan of the regular-but-not-quite greebling for the Shivans, it is still a marvellous piece of modelling :yes:

Any news? :confused:

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Patience, young one, patience....
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Looks super cool!
I'm not feeling the Mohawks, though. Looks out of place with the rest of the design, IMO. Why not make those areas bony like the neck?
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Just wanted to say the model looks amazing and does what I wanted to accomplish but lacked the skills or poly count. A lot of what I added was a result of poly count requirements as bump maps were in in their infancy. The neck should have been ribbed and the pipes while I thought were cool were added to break the bland nothing. The eye was a good idea I gathered off the concept art but even though I added it I never really liked how it turned out. It needed to be more incorporated that it was.

The turrets however were put back rightthat'd  where V had them so grip at them about that.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Tarvis

I noticed people talking about how the very front of the ship seems too much like a cruise ship bow.

Looking at the retail model, it gives me the impression of a bird's beak more than anything else.

I dunno, maybe that might be some inspiration for changing it up a bit, if you feel like it

Solid work so far. I like the rib design here a lot more than the Rak mentioned earlier (reminds me too much of Dead Space than ribs)

Any progress?

Offline Aesaar

If Rga_Noris had progress to show, he'd show it.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Rga hasn't been around in a long time. I would stop expecting this to be finished until he posts. And posting in this thread to "encourage" progress is going to fall deaf ears for as long as Rga isn't reading the boards.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Sometimes I feel as though there should be some sort of central WiP file repository.

While I do think people should be entitled to finishing their own work, since this is a fan project, they should also be fully entitled to not actually do any work, but it's a huge shame to see stuff get just to the point it is looking awesome before turning into vaporware, so It would be great if other team members were able to pick up where someone left off if they disappear for too long.
I will grant, though, that this is a very minor case of creator abandonment, there's a couple models that started work a couple years ago.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
:bump:

After recent adventures my engineers realized, that those strange quantum-pulses-speaking aliens are good drinking company.

...so I see no reason for this thing to not happen.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
No more Lovecraftian spiky bits on the Moloch, please. You got away with it once and the Moloch is already spiky enough as it is. Spiky bits on the Moloch are fine; Lovecraftian spiky bits, however, might be a bridge too far this time. :p
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Nah man, I'm all about the Lovecraft  :yes: ;) Excited to see what comes of this!
I am a revolutionary.