Author Topic: How do i get my Thrustmaster HOTAS working?  (Read 976 times)

Offline Lyk

How do i get my Thrustmaster HOTAS working?
So, FSO is set up now properly (i find KNOSSOS very confusing) and wanted to use my new Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X now, well it's not working found plenty of things here thats supposed to help? vJoy and such. But how do i exactly set this all up now? I do not know where to start, Windows is recognizing everything properly.

As far as i understood i'm now somehow supposed to create a virtual Joystick through vJoy now, but how do i do that at all? Where? I also read something about some Wizard Stuff.

I never had such problems with my old Joystick, just plug-in, done.

If anyone is using the Thrustmaster and knows how to set everything up a step-by-step help would be very much appreciated.

Offline Lyk

Re: How do i get my Thrustmaster HOTAS working?
So, i take nobody can help.

I tried to set things up in vJoy but i have NO IDEA what i am doing and no video or anything i find online is helping either, i all just goes over my head. Had hoped someone here who had set things up for FreeSpace could help with a Step-by-step explanation.

But i guess not

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I had that HOTAS and I’m now using the newer HOTAS 4 (the blue and black one.)

Neither required any complicated set up to work with Knossos. You will probably need to install its drivers of course, but after that all you need do is make sure it is plugged in BEFORE you boot up Knossos and it should detect it. On the Settings tab on the Knossos launcher there is a drop down list for joysticks. If Knossos has detected it it should appear on that list. Then select it and it should work fine. This Knossos guide may help: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1kKXaTMhO57RCHi24mhJpO2Bt5PjeV8WvweDkyr7xKrw/mobilebasic?pli=1
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Note that you will probably need to go into the games control options to set the throttle up.

Also, the HOTAS X has a large dead zone problem which makes making precise shots difficult. Look up auto-aim in this guide to find a workaround: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97961.0
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I was going to say, the game engine should now be able to support multiple input devices natively. (I tried to look up exactly when it was added, but the forum search is horrific.) You shouldn't need to use an external program like vJoy just to use that controller, unless you're trying to do something esoteric with it.

Offline AV8R

I've had a TM T.Flight Hotas X for years and it works perfectly with FSO (deadzone issue, really? Haven't noticed). BIG NOTE: be sure the joystick's switch is set to PC, NOT PS3 and the LED throttle button is GREEN [4-axis], not RED [5-axis]. If you have to change the switch settings, you'll have to pull the USB plug and plug back in to let Windows redetect it after changing the switch from PS3 to PC. Also, make sure the joystick is fully functional under Windows by calibrating it (open the "Set Up USB Game Controllers" applet in Windows 10/11). The joystick should show up in the dialog box with a Status of OK

Now, you can click the Properties button and test all of the buttons and axes (you should see joy control, Z Axis, Z Rotation and Slider controls as well as 12 buttons and a hat switch tester). If you feel you need to recalibrate it, go to the Settings Tab under Properties and click the Calibrate button. Read the instructions and do whatever the calibrater dialogs ask you to do while clicking Next after each step to calibrate each axis. After calibration is complete, go back to the Test tab and test all of the options on the joystick again to make sure all of the buttons work and axes move.

Now you can start Knossos and go to Settings and under the Joystick option, make sure it sees the same joystick Windows sees (T.Flight Hotas X). Uncheck all of the force feedback options (not needed here). The final step is to go into the game and use the BIND option under the joystick configuration options to BIND certain joystick actions to either an axis or a button until all of the buttons and axis controls are set to their preferred controls - with the axes set to X+Y on the stick, Z-Axis set to throttle and Z-Rotation set to roll craft. The HOTAS X has a rocker on the back of the throttle that can also be used to roll the ship - use which ever you prefer to roll: twist the stick or use the rocker lever.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 05:05:26 pm by AV8R »

It's important to not that Knossos does not always put the correct GUID into the config file for your devices.  I was having this issue, and ended up needing to run the command-line utility to spit out all the hardware devices the game could identify, and then manually entered that into the config file Knossos generated.

Offline Horizon

I have a Virpil throttle and a VKB stick.

The game only recognizes one, or the other.  Never both at the same time.

I'll give Vjoy a shot.