Author Topic: Dynmap nonsense (split from Minecraft thread)  (Read 4218 times)

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Dynmap nonsense (split from Minecraft thread)
Work on the rail line has continued. 

Edit:

The rail is done for now, it now stops short of the snow to the far west.

Cool beans. Maybe I'll continue it onwards into the snowy area sometime. Haven't played in a bit though.

Btw, I noticed that dynmap doesn't work with Chrome apparently? One more reason to not use that browser.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:54:29 pm by Mongoose »
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Edit:

Cool beans. Maybe I'll continue it onwards into the snowy area sometime. Haven't played in a bit though.

Btw, I noticed that dynmap doesn't work with Chrome apparently? One more reason to not use that browser.

Yes I know, but when I tried to manipulate the map I would not get the click and drag hand icon, rather it would just seemingly grab a block of the map in a semi-transparent state and when I let go it would disappear. Wouldn't zoom in either with the scroll wheel.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

Edit:

Yes I know, but when I tried to manipulate the map I would not get the click and drag hand icon, rather it would just seemingly grab a block of the map in a semi-transparent state and when I let go it would disappear. Wouldn't zoom in either with the scroll wheel.

1: You don't need a special icon to do things.

2: The rest is on you, and only you, Dynmap works perfectly in Chrome.

Edit:

Oh okay, that was entirely unhelpful.
Thanks

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

Edit:

Thanks

Actual reaserch to see if anyone else had the problem would have been a good idea before blaming the browser for your own problems.

Edit:

Thanks

Actual reaserch to see if anyone else had the problem would have been a good idea before blaming the browser for your own problems.

If you've got nothing helpful to say, keep your mouth shut. Seriously.
If you recall my initial post was in response to the rail being built, the comment about Chrome was a side comment.

Just saying the thing doesn't work the same way. "All on me"? **** man, a left click is a left click, a scroll wheel is a scroll wheel, I do the same two things in Chrome and Firefox and have a different result. Sorry but that's ON CHROME, not on me. And I don't use chrome by default at home, but I do at work because it's mandatory, which is why the issue arised.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Thanks

If you recall my initial post was in response to the rail being built, the comment about Chrome was a side comment.

Just saying the thing doesn't work the same way. "All on me"? **** man, a left click is a left click, a scroll wheel is a scroll wheel, I do the same two things in Chrome and Firefox and have a different result. Sorry but that's ON CHROME, not on me. And I don't use chrome by default at home, but I do at work because it's mandatory, which is why the issue arised.

Take your own advice. Don't make stupid comments on the side, it's unhelpful, so keep your mouth shut. That way I won't have to show you that you're wrong, and then you won't get all pissy about it. Seriously.

And once again, now in light of IronBeer saying it's fine too, it's on you. You are the only one managing to screw it up. I don't know how you manage to mess up a left click, but you do. Good job.

There is a dedicated pit somewhere... I know this becasue I "fixed" it by dropping around 30 blocks of sand on mongoose's head at some point. It's the "Sand Farm" telepad at the telehub.
Fun times!

But yeah, the actual "pits" don't exist anymore because Kyad graciously filled them in, so if you pick the right spot, you pretty much get a 30-block-deep cube of pure sand.  Woo!

I really should set it up to just re-fill once a month or so on it's own, but then there's the risk of it falling in on some one without warning.

Thanks

Take your own advice. Don't make stupid comments on the side, it's unhelpful, so keep your mouth shut. That way I won't have to show you that you're wrong, and then you won't get all pissy about it. Seriously.

And once again, now in light of IronBeer saying it's fine too, it's on you. You are the only one managing to screw it up. I don't know how you manage to mess up a left click, but you do. Good job.

Go **** yourself dumbass
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:49:11 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Okay, we're playing the "stop this **** now" game.  I'm not going to take any action in here myself, since there's obviously a conflict of interest, but either this conversation continues civilly, or it ends immediately.

Hey I've said all that needs to be. Succinct and to the point.
Censure me or don't but I have no tolerance for people who take the time to post impolite, unhelpful bull****.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Then report them. If you respond with insults you're likely to find that you're the one on the receiving end when it comes to moderation cause there's simply no excuse for insulting behaviour of the type you've used.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Then report them. If you respond with insults you're likely to find that you're the one on the receiving end when it comes to moderation cause there's simply no excuse for insulting behaviour of the type you've used.

Yeah, and I made that post full well knowing that. I don't have an issue with that.
And it's not against the rules so why bother reporting it? There's no rule on this board that actual requires people to contribute in a meaningful way to a discussion.  There no prohibition against "zero content" posts, or unhelpful posts. But this sort of behaviour is a regular thing on this board.

1 - Someone asks a question
2 - Someone who knows the answer responds , doesn't bother to give the answer, and instead just tells them to google it.

OR

1 - Someone asks a question
2 - Someone doesn't know the answer, but responds anyway with a pointless post meant only to waste everyone's time.

KyadCK did the exact same thing a few pages back when Trashman asked a general minecraft question.

Whereas a polite and helpful response to what I said would "Oh, I haven't encountered that problem personally, but if you check online someone else may have had the same question and come up with a solution"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Speaking personally, without my mod-hat on, it originally seemed rather silly to me that you'd jump right to blaming your browser for what you were seeing, instead of phrasing things like, "Hey, is dynmap supposed to work with Chrome?  Because it isn't for me."  I mean I can't think of any reason why we'd be using a service that flat-out didn't work with a standards-compliant browser.  I saw Kyad's initial response as poking fun at that, and while you may have viewed it as rude, that's not an excuse for escalating things as quickly as you did, nor do I condone Kyad for responding in kind.

And no, we can't force people to be polite or helpful 100% of the time, and outside of certain cases (like handling newbies), I don't think that we should.  Yes, someone who knows the answer to a simple question could always post a link, but in the year 2013 there's frankly no excuse for not taking the 5 seconds required to track it down yourself.  The only exception would be a case where you've already tried looking, and/or you know what you're looking for is obscure/complex enough that it'd take more than a Google search to find it.  It's something of a common Internet courtesy to not ask other people to do work that you're too lazy to do yourself.  As for the other point,  Kyad's initial posts weren't unhelpful: they showed that dynmap works fine in Chrome, which would lead one to believe that the problem was indeed on your end.

Speaking personally, without my mod-hat on, it originally seemed rather silly to me that you'd jump right to blaming your browser for what you were seeing, instead of phrasing things like, "Hey, is dynmap supposed to work with Chrome?  Because it isn't for me."  I mean I can't think of any reason why we'd be using a service that flat-out didn't work with a standards-compliant browser.  I saw Kyad's initial response as poking fun at that, and while you may have viewed it as rude, that's not an excuse for escalating things as quickly as you did, nor do I condone Kyad for responding in kind.

And no, we can't force people to be polite or helpful 100% of the time, and outside of certain cases (like handling newbies), I don't think that we should.  Yes, someone who knows the answer to a simple question could always post a link, but in the year 2013 there's frankly no excuse for not taking the 5 seconds required to track it down yourself.  The only exception would be a case where you've already tried looking, and/or you know what you're looking for is obscure/complex enough that it'd take more than a Google search to find it.  It's something of a common Internet courtesy to not ask other people to do work that you're too lazy to do yourself.  As for the other point,  Kyad's initial posts weren't unhelpful: they showed that dynmap works fine in Chrome, which would lead one to believe that the problem was indeed on your end.
[/quote]

Excuse me? ME, escalating things? You must have a short memory because Kyad was the first to be rude so don't put that on me. My reply was a simple explanation of the facts. His second response was being an ass. And yeah there's no excuse for me telling him to go do with himself, but I don't care. Maybe other people are going to put up with his bad behaviour but I'm not.

As for internet courtesy, treating people with respect is the only courtesy I care about. And there's a distinct lack of it on most forums including this one. That lack of respect is not enforced at all unless someone is outright blatent, and even then if their blatent behaviour is the opinion of the majority it can be overlooked with the minority held to account instead.   

And mod hat on or off, you're speaking as yourself and as yourself you're a moderator so you're reflecting your views as a moderator whether you believe it or not. And I don't expect people to help me, in fact I wasn't even looking for help I was simply remarking something that I experienced 30 seconds earlier but, the fact is, if someone asks a question and you don't want to help them, there are two choices:

1. Say nothing
2. Be an ass

A lot of people go for #2. And no one cares. So if no one cares if someone's an ass to me then why should I care about being an ass to them?

And frankly I have pretty much zero faith in the moderation of these forums, but the fact that you effectively just gave people full reign to be rude and unhelpful only reinforces that belief. I'm sorry but the lack of "courtesy" in not googling a thing does not excuse people being equally uncourteous when they're a jackass in response. But the thing is, in your mind, and the mind of the other moderators it is excused isn't? Or at least it certainly is not enforced. After all, the manner in which you are assigning blame in this case is consistent with that train of thought.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:09:37 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Dynmap nonsense (split from Minecraft thread)
Okay, this desperately needed splitting by this point, so it is done.  A bit of on-topic stuff got stuck over here too, but what can you do.

Excuse me? ME, escalating things? You must have a short memory because Kyad was the first to be rude so don't put that on me. My reply was a simple explanation of the facts. His second response was being an ass. And yeah there's no excuse for me telling him to go do with himself, but I don't care. Maybe other people are going to put up with his bad behaviour but I'm not.
Well let's just take a look up the page here.  Kyad's first response was a simple image showing that dynmap indeed loads in Chrome, and his second indicated that it functions completely fine for him.  Perhaps he's a bit short, but hardly rude.  The first thing I'd call remotely "rude" on this page is you calling his posts "unhelpful," which they weren't as I've already explained.  And then you took things to a whole new level when you told him to shut up immediately afterwards, which wasn't called for in the least.

As for internet courtesy, treating people with respect is the only courtesy I care about. And there's a distinct lack of it on most forums including this one. That lack of respect is not enforced at all unless someone is outright blatent, and even then if their blatent behaviour is the opinion of the majority it can be overlooked with the minority held to account instead.
Hate to break it to you, but respect is something that should be earned, not handed out freely, and with how you've responded in here, I doubt you've won many points in that regard.  We do enforce a level of basic civility, particularly when it comes to newer members, but we're not going to make everyone walk on eggshells around regulars who have been here for ages...frankly, this place would be a lot less fun if we did.

And mod hat on or off, you're speaking as yourself and as yourself you're a moderator so you're reflecting your views as a moderator whether you believe it or not. And I don't expect people to help me, in fact I wasn't even looking for help I was simply remarking something that I experienced 30 seconds earlier but, the fact is, if someone asks a question and you don't want to help them, there are two choices:

1. Say nothing
2. Be an ass

A lot of people go for #2. And no one cares. So if no one cares if someone's an ass to me then why should I care about being an ass to them?
Well of course I can't magically separate my mod-self from my actual self, but even before there was any need to put my mod-hat on, I found your original post puzzling/amusing.  And this kind of reinforces it...why would you even bother posting about your problem in the first place if you weren't looking for help?  Just to say, "Oh hey, I have this issue that I'm not even trying to solve, so I'll make an assumption about the whole browser"?  Because that makes little sense to me.

And why should you care about being an ass back?  Oh, I don't know, maybe because playing the tit-for-tat game shows the emotional maturity of a 6-year-old?

And frankly I have pretty much zero faith in the moderation of these forums, but the fact that you effectively just gave people full reign to be rude and unhelpful only reinforces that belief. I'm sorry but the lack of "courtesy" in not googling a thing does not excuse people being equally uncourteous when they're a jackass in response. But the thing is, in your mind, and the mind of the other moderators it is excused isn't? Or at least it certainly is not enforced. After all, the manner in which you are assigning blame in this case is consistent with that train of thought.
Well, believe what you may, but take it up with the admins collectively if you think something needs to be changed, and we'll keep doing our jobs in the meantime.  I'm not going to lock this myself, because I don't want to feel like I'm enforcing the last word, but if someone else wants to, they're welcome to it.

Hate to break it to you, but respect is something that should be earned, not handed out freely, and with how you've responded in here, I doubt you've won many points in that regard.  We do enforce a level of basic civility, particularly when it comes to newer members, but we're not going to make everyone walk on eggshells around regulars who have been here for ages...frankly, this place would be a lot less fun if we did.

Hate to break it to you but that' s a sad philosophy if you don't respect people from the outset.
Further I'm not trying to "earn points" or your respect. If you're unable to separate the issue from the individual that's your failing as an authority, not mine. The fact that different standards are applied for different members is a wholly flawed approach from the outset.

And why should you care about being an ass back?  Oh, I don't know, maybe because playing the tit-for-tat game shows the emotional maturity of a 6-year-old?

No, because I don't have faith in you to do your job. So I do your job for you by telling him what he can do with himself.
I mean you read this thread all the time, you've seen Kyad be an ass before and don't say anything. When he was unhelpful to Trashman I called him out on it and only after a few of his got on his case did anyone bother to step and even then you were discouraging the discussion, not the rude behaviour. And this isn't picking on Kyad either, it's just the example, other people have done it in other threads without any moderator so much as batting an eyelash so why would I turn to you?

The fact is, if this is not a place where people are  expected to respect each other from the outset then why would I value it? And if I don't value it, why would I care about your rules? Like what is the rule? You can be as disrespectful as you want, just don't tell someone to **** off? When you make it a place of value where people are expected to respect each other from the outset then it might be a place investing more time.

Well, believe what you may, but take it up with the admins collectively if you think something needs to be changed, and we'll keep doing our jobs in the meantime.  I'm not going to lock this myself, because I don't want to feel like I'm enforcing the last word, but if someone else wants to, they're welcome to it.

I've taken it up "collectively" before, my thread got locked and I was accused of starting a witch hunt. They said take it to PMs and when I did, it didn't go anywhere. So why should I bother? Even if in the thread question was thought to be too personal towards a certain moderator, why was the entire discussion shelved and not discussed on general merit alone? No it was just locked and shoved away. So bringing it up is pointless. Reporting threads is pointless when you know for fact moderators have read them and done nothing about it.

People are being rude and not held to account.
Moderators moderate their own discussions and not being held to account.

Etcetera and so forth.

You talk about being  six year old? Treating people with respect is maturity, not taking **** from some jackass just because rather than try to be helpful he's going to instead go out of his way to not be helpful. If someone badgers a woman on the street and I tell the guy to go **** himself is that being immature? If I ask someone the time and he in a very rude manner points to a clock on the wall and says "are you blind?" and I call him out on being an ass is that being immature? No. It's standing up for myself.

And if equally if someone is rude on this forum I'll do the same and I don't give a **** about the consequences because while the moderators might tolerate that sort of disrespectful behaviour it'll be a cold day in hell before I do.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:18:48 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Hate to break it to you but that' s a sad philosophy if you don't respect people from the outset.

Just a thought
Ever think that you had it at one point, but lost it down the line and consequently dug the hole deeper?
"No"

Just a thought
Ever think that you had it at one point, but lost it down the line and consequently dug the hole deeper?

Ever think, to take Mongoose at his word? He just stated DIRECTLY in the post that he doesn't respect people to begin with, he says it needs to be earned. Same way KyadCK has said he doesn't respect people from the outset either. I'm not misunderstanding anything.

All of which is completely irrelevant to the issue that moderation should be applied equally to all members regardless of standing, length of participation or personal familiarity with the moderator in question. Moderation should be applied to the post, not the person making the post. Who is making the post should only be considered when applying a penalty, with more penalties resulting in subsequently greater consequences.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
He just stated DIRECTLY in the post that he doesn't respect people to begin with, he says it needs to be earned

No, I think you've misunderstood or are biased in your way of seeing things. When I read that statement, I thought it as a neutral standpoint until you either shift your direction into disrespect, or respect
Not as "I disrespect your existence until you earn it"

He didn't directly say "I disrespect before I respect". He just said "I don't respect people until they've earned it". It can be both mind you, disrespect or neutrality, but I would figure it to be the latter
"No"

He just stated DIRECTLY in the post that he doesn't respect people to begin with, he says it needs to be earned

No, I think you've misunderstood or are biased in your way of seeing things. When I read that statement, I thought it as a neutral standpoint until you either shift your direction into disrespect, or respect
Not as "I disrespect your existence until you earn it"

He didn't directly say "I disrespect before I respect". He just said "I don't respect people until they've earned it". It can be both mind you, disrespect or neutrality, but I would figure it to be the latter

Don't use quotations when you're paraphrasing.

"Hate to break it to you, but respect is something that should be earned, not handed out freely,"

You can argue the difference between disrespect and "lack of respect" but either way, there's no respect in either case. And whether I once had his respect and lost it or he never gave it to me to begin with is irrelevant. I don't care either way.

Moderation should moderate the content, not the person posting it.  It doesn't matter who posted something, if it's a new member or if it's Karajama, it should be dealt with in the same manner.

Similarly a point of contention regarding forum practices should be based on the merit of what's being said, not on who is saying it nor the circumstances under which it's being brought up.