Author Topic: RELEASE: Rise of the Corporate.  (Read 8935 times)

Offline wistler

RELEASE: Rise of the Corporate.
This is a 6 playable mission mod with 1 in-game cutscene.

It needs FSO to run (I believe) and is my first ever release so I hope you enjoy it.
Although it has a story, it is not very story-centric. It is instead more aimed at producing playable and enjoyable missions, a bit like the original FS2 campaign.

Needs LightSpeeds nebula pack for the background.

Feedback will be much appreciated, and if you any bugs show up just let me know.

Story:
In order to stave of a new depression following the Second Shivan Incursion, the GTVA undergoes "The Handover" which involves selling off its aging and mothballed ships to various trusted Corporate and Business interests. With this added revenue, the GTVA can continue its rebuilding effort.
But when the public realize the extent to which the Han-Ronald Company has exploited the citizens of Mirfak, the GTVA Security Council is forced to act, and take up arms against the very ships that they had supplied to the Corporations.  

Download here

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 07:47:07 am by wistler »

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: RELEASE: Rise of the Corporate.
Ooo, sounds interesting, will DL now.

Sounds promising, am downloading now. :)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
****... have I already mention how much I hate having my motherboard burned?   :mad:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Are the two breifing tracks included from 300 or something?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline wistler

Are the two briefing tracks included from 300 or something?

One is. "The Hot Gates" is one, "Hectors Death" from Troy is the other. I think i put the info in the readme if your curious as to which one is which, but you can probably guess  :)

Offline Droid803

Ok, just gave the first three missions a run.

The story writing was surprisingly good. The bad grammar (?) in the title (Corporate is an adjective?) would have led me to expect otherwise, but it was pretty well written. I didn't hear MS Sam hiccup over any words meaning spelling mistakes were kept to a minimum.

However, the missions themselves have a long way to go. The first mission makes me unable to load anything but a single bank of Prometheus. If I can't change anything, why bother letting me see the loadout screen at all?

The second mission similarily only allows me to load one primary bank. If this is intentional, then it's rather stupid. There ARE extra weapons, why not let the pilots use them!?

The capship battle in mission 2 is badly scripted. The Vengeance kept firing though it suppositively had a reactor problem, the Book of David never fires at all, when the Vengeance says it's fixed its guns, it actually stops shooting, and then proceeds to do nothing until I kill the Spear of Congress myself, at which point it swings around like a bat for a while until it finally manages to show its side to the Book of David and finish it off.

Apparently, you can dodge AAAf beams, something that I cannot do. Asking me to disarm a Leviathan is suicide, as is trying to charge 10 AAAf sentry guns. You should probably tone down the AAAf beams - by two minutes into the mission, I'm usually at 1-10% armor left. This is not helped by the fact that the missions are goddamn long, being fifteen minutes apiece. I'm not sure whether to continue, as flying for 15 minutes in a ulysses with only 1 bank and 5% armor isn't fun - please tell me I get to fly something else. I absolutely hate that piece of crap. Sending Ursa bombers against a bunch of Elysiums seem like MASSIVE OVERKILL to me. Why would the Corporations send multiple waves of craft that cost as much as a small moon to kill some civillians? That's -not- how you make money!

The list of mission problems go on, but I think I should stop here.

Contrary to your goal, I think that the story is pretty good, but the missions are severly lacking, and needs rebalancing, and more testing.

My $0.02.
(´・ω・`)

Offline wistler

:wtf:

OK none of that sounds right, and after booting up the mission I can see the problem your talking about, which is strange because I haven't got a CLUE why its decided to change the players ship.
I think somethings went seriously wrong between playtesting and putting it up for download. I'm really sorry about that.

EDIT: Unfortunately right before uploading the mod for download I went through every mission spellchecking, but had a different ship.tbl in use, so FRED reverted every ship back to Ulysses  :mad:

I've put a link in the top to new missions that should replace the old ones. I just hope you haven't been put off it completely  :shaking:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 04:17:37 am by wistler »

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
No worries, it happens.

Incidentally, this is why I always wait a week or two before downloading a new mod/campaign. I'll let other people discover the remaining bugs and "oops"es for me. :D

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I got something like that when betatesting Behind Enemy Lines ,I couldn't
play the last mission because of old campaign file. No problem ,such things happen sometimes.
(and FSMods have no option of editing the uploads)  :)

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
I think you posted the wrong set of replacement missions on freespacemods.net.  There is a campaign for single and multiplayer that has to do with the NTF in the zip file.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline wistler

I think you posted the wrong set of replacement missions on freespacemods.net.  There is a campaign for single and multiplayer that has to do with the NTF in the zip file.

I've dowloaded the file to check it out and your right there not the right ones, but i don't even HAVE those files on my computer 
:confused: I dont know where there from but there not from me.

Offline Droid803

Yeah, I'm getting stuff like "Ravana Ravage" in that mission pack.

Good to hear that it wasn't intentional to make me take out a Leviathan in a Ulysses with a single primary bank. :P Looks like I just turned out to be the guinea pig. Oh well.

I'll keep playing once the mission pack thing gets fixed.
(´・ω・`)

Offline wistler

Good to hear that it wasn't intentional to make me take out a Leviathan in a Ulysses with a single primary bank. :P Looks like I just turned out to be the guinea pig. Oh well.

I'll keep playing once the mission pack thing gets fixed.

;) My malicious streak does have limits.

The complete file has been put up for download and is at the top of this page. I've ran through it and everything seems to be in order, ships are were they should be and so are the weapons, and without a Ulysses in sight!
Killing that Leviathan should prove a little bit easier.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
my pc is back!!! downloading now ^^
el hombre vicio...

The debriefing of "Through the Eye of the Storm" is screwed up.  It says that I kept the convoy alive despite the arrival of a cruiser, but there was no cruiser.  It also says that I both did and did not lose one of the Omicron transports.  (I did not lose any.) 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline wistler

The debriefing of "Through the Eye of the Storm" is screwed up.  It says that I kept the convoy alive despite the arrival of a cruiser, but there was no cruiser.  It also says that I both did and did not lose one of the Omicron transports.  (I did not lose any.) 

Urgh. It sounds like debriefing texts are showing up when they shouldn't. I thought i had solved it  :doubt: Chalk that up to the limits in my FRED skill. If you can recommend how to set it up better I'd appreciate the help. Sorry bout that bud.

FRED and I do not get along; you'd be better served asking someone else. 

Also, the capital ships periodically say gibberish, like a random assortment of letters that don't make up words.  It's actually the same gibberish every time, but I don't remember exactly what it was. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
it's ok, but you could have gave it a play before releasing I found a bunch of problems as:

gramatical errors
missing messages

those are not so wrong but these:

wrong debriefings
directives triggering at the wrong time
mission objectives wrong

these should have been fixed before release.

the story is ok, and please the worst error ever which I've been seeing on recently released campaigns: NO STARFIELD.POF!!! OMG it felt so anoying I even fixed it myself, I could not bare to play the missions without it.
el hombre vicio...

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
What is this Starfield.pof that people murder children for?  :confused:
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.