Author Topic: How would the GTVA be changed by a return to Sol?  (Read 7068 times)

Offline Vrets

How would the GTVA be changed by a return to Sol?
I'm bored, so here's a thread. Does there have to be a war with Earth? :p Anyways, first, some assumptions and founding thoughts:

Manpower/Population: Vasudan homeworld has been eliminated with massive loss of life, and the remaining settled areas of the GTVA are essentially the colonial remnants of the PVN and GTA. Capella, a "densely populated" system, has a population of 250 million. Sol's population might equal or even exceed that of the GTVA.

Industrial capacity: It's taken for granted that the Earth has been stripped of industrially-useful resources (not an unfair assumption, look at the poor thing now). The remainder of the system, however, is likely highly developed and extremely productive. Gas giants to mine, planets to colonize and build-up, and hundreds of moons to exploit.

Technological development: It all started when the better half of the Lucifer floated sheepishly in front of the Earth ("damn, almost"). There's the potential for Earth to have had developed beam weaponry/etc parallel to the GTVA. Even if not enough useful bits of the Lucifer made it to Sol, development of beam technology is still highly probable. Earth was the industrial core of the GTA...the Avenger prototype traveled to Earth from Antares, and the shield prototypes from distant Beta Cygni! If work was started on beam weapons prior to the destruction of the Lucifer, then it is probable that important materials were already at Sol.

First conclusion is obvious and has been explored by every campaign featuring a return to Sol: Earth is very powerful, and would make a credible opponent in battle with the GTVA; but, perhaps it is more likely that reunion results in a subtle subversion of the GTVA political system over time, with the terran blocs (I've always assumed that the GTVA "General Assembly" was representatives from each bloc) aligning to Earth.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:34:41 pm by Vrets »

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Re: How would the GTVA be changed by a return to Sol?
This sort of idea would make a great Post-Capella campaign. (Just saying) However, with the collapse of the Sol/Delta Serpentis jump node. You're talking about complete political instability in the Sol system for about, at most, 30-50 years assuming that no one was able to re-unite the Sol System. So, unless Sol somehow had re-united into a almost complete utopian like state, then these resources, population, etc wouldn't be very useful as the entire system fell into absolute disorganization chaos and anarchy. Making this argument irrelevant.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Vrets

Oh, well, I suppose. Order would be especially difficult to maintain because Sol seemed emptied of military forces at the time of isolation. If there had been military reserves at Earth, then it would not have been neccessary for the Bastion to track the Lucifer en route to Sol. A destroyer waiting in Sol could have met the Lucifer in the tunnel (Sol -->BOOM<---Delta Serpentis).

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
A destroyer waiting in Sol could have met the Lucifer in the tunnel (Sol -->BOOM<---Delta Serpentis).

Not necessarily, the destroyer would have had to attack the Lucifer from the front, where 2 of its main beam cannons lie. It would be a rather short battle. Besides, many campaigns (including SOH, BP, and the FS port) all depict an Orion class destroyer waiting for the Lucifer above Earth. 
Stuff

I don't see any particularly compelling reason for the Sol system to devolve into anarchy. It's the capital of the GTA, and the GTA would probably retain power during isolation without any real challenge. In this case, when Sol is reunited with the other systems, the GTA would probably still see themselves as the rightful governing authority of the colonies.

That said, we know next to nothing about the structure of the FS1-era GTA or the extent of its governing authority and power, so if your campaign requires a period of anarchy or the emergence of a new power in Sol, you can create plenty of perfectly plausible justifications. I just don't see a solar civil war as being a good basic assumption when discussing this topic.

A destroyer waiting in Sol could have met the Lucifer in the tunnel (Sol -->BOOM<---Delta Serpentis).

Not necessarily, the destroyer would have had to attack the Lucifer from the front, where 2 of its main beam cannons lie. It would be a rather short battle. Besides, many campaigns (including SOH, BP, and the FS port) all depict an Orion class destroyer waiting for the Lucifer above Earth.

in BP that could just be the Bastion catching up.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever

in BP that could just be the Bastion catching up.

Can someone from BP confirm or deny that?
Stuff

Offline Darius

Yep, it could have been the Bastion catching up.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
or it could be the GTD Washington which i believe, along with some vasudan freighters and an installation were added by the fsport upgrade team in the credits level.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
or it could be the GTD Washington which i believe, along with some vasudan freighters and an installation were added by the fsport upgrade team in the credits level.
And which is a completely fictional, non-canon ship.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline -Norbert-

[...]Gas giants to mine, planets to colonize and build-up, and hundreds of moons to exploit.[...]
Excuse me, hundreds of moons? Which solar system are we talking about here? Because I really don't remember our solar system having 200+ moons (which would be the first number to barely qualify for being called "hundreds").

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Earth has 4 :p

Big Ass-steroids are moons of the sun too  :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Obligatory "that's no moon, that's a space station".

The GTA actually might have hundreds of those in Sol. Don't need to be Arcadia-sized.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Actually, I think that Sol had a decent military force in it, despite the Bastion being the only ship on the other side of the node. To chase Lucifer, Bastion would have to enter the same tunnel as the Shivan flagship, using data from Lucifer's jump to synchronize it's own drive. It was impossible to do from Sol, because this would require prediction instead of tracking.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Ya know, if the Bastion had entered the node... rather short fight, considering Lucy's shields were down and armament is facing sides / front.  Esp, 1st priority would prolly be to disable the beam turrets (now shieldless) and let the Bastion chew her way through the Lucy.  Ofc, then perhaps we'd get something like Star Trek: Voyager, where the Bastion and the fighter / bomber groups would be stranded in the middle of who knows where (at least, if the subspace corridor fluctuated wildly enough before severing and they exited in one of those said fluctuations).

Campaign ideas, anyone?  lolz

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Because First Fleet is interested in not dying and has a monopoly on combat-capable spacecraft in Sol, if they're even halfway competent a solar civil war is deeply unlikely. Having the only guns remits to you control of the sources of guns or anything else you feel like, so even if the GTA's government goes down in flames, it's likely Sol will remain united and large-scale fighting will not occur.

The Solar System will thus be reasonably intact. Depending on the data of return it's quite possible it will simply join the GTVA, either in the fashion Terran planets did or as a semi-autonomous state like the Vasudan Imperium. People born in Sol are still heavily represented in the GTVA's upper echelons around FS2 in all likelihood and probably will be for another ten or fifteen years. No muss, no fuss, long-lost brothers reunited.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Drogoth

I don't think there are credible mobile military forces in Sol, at least nothing bigger then Cruisers.

Had they been there, no, they would not have met the Lucifer head on, they could have jumped to Delta S at the moment the Bastion BEGAN its chase in Sirius. They could have moved off the Delta S node, waited for the Lucifer to make transit, and then followed it in, which is essentially what the Bastion was trying to do.

In fact, it would be sheer lunacy for the GTA to have not done this. Ships that meet the Lucifer in combat in normal space during FS1 are by definition useless. Obviously they would meet the Lucifer in battle over Earth if there were no other option, but in this case, there WAS another option. For them not to use that option and instead rely on the dim hope that the Bastion, recalled i from at LEAST two systems away would catch up to the Lucifer borders on insanity.

However, any under construction ships in Sol will still be there, in varying states of development, and I'm sure GTA ground forces and limited transport from commandeered civilian vessels could maintain order until ships are completed, which would then assist in the GTA holding on to power. I find it unlikely that the GTA would have been unable to hold on to power because of some kind of violent uprising.

The economic issues of suddenly severing every trade tie you have however, and the societal issues of being cut off from the colonies so abruptly could topple the GTA through social instability.
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline NeonShivan

I don't think there are credible mobile military forces in Sol, at least nothing bigger then Cruisers.

Had they been there, no, they would not have met the Lucifer head on, they could have jumped to Delta S at the moment the Bastion BEGAN its chase in Sirius. They could have moved off the Delta S node, waited for the Lucifer to make transit, and then followed it in, which is essentially what the Bastion was trying to do.

In fact, it would be sheer lunacy for the GTA to have not done this. Ships that meet the Lucifer in combat in normal space during FS1 are by definition useless. Obviously they would meet the Lucifer in battle over Earth if there were no other option, but in this case, there WAS another option. For them not to use that option and instead rely on the dim hope that the Bastion, recalled i from at LEAST two systems away would catch up to the Lucifer borders on insanity.

However, any under construction ships in Sol will still be there, in varying states of development, and I'm sure GTA ground forces and limited transport from commandeered civilian vessels could maintain order until ships are completed, which would then assist in the GTA holding on to power. I find it unlikely that the GTA would have been unable to hold on to power because of some kind of violent uprising.

The economic issues of suddenly severing every trade tie you have however, and the societal issues of being cut off from the colonies so abruptly could topple the GTA through social instability.

Don't forget after the fall of the Sol/Delta Serpentis node, the GTA collapsed.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Drogoth

The external GTA yes, the GTA in Sol? Who can say?
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline NeonShivan

The external GTA yes, the GTA in Sol? Who can say?

If the external GTA collapsed. Then imagine Sol.

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh