Author Topic: Fortune Hunters fans discussion  (Read 4262 times)

Offline cloneof

Fortune Hunters fans discussion
TADAAAA! Discuss!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: Fortune Hunters fans discussion
now great, that was a joke people  :lol:

Okay, shot. I am going to answer questions about the campaigns and the creation process if you wish.

By the way, who found the Easter Egg in FH2259 M2?  ;7
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
Fan : Hi Mr Vid, (lol)
When will you release FH : episode 3 ? Should we expect the end of this month or the first week of next month ?
And how about a movie trailer or some  concept arts (I mean screenshots lol) ?
TBP's apprentice FREDDER.

Campaign in development:
Guardian of Light (Demo state)(Download DEMO here)
The First Invasion - Part 1 (Planning Concept)

Single Mission :
Human-Narn First Contact (Download here)

Offline Vidmaster

there are some screenshots from FH2261 on the ModDB page, hidden among other ones.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Vidmaster

damn, it probably not going to be May :ick:

Offline Alberio

aw, to bad. guess it gives me time to finish more of the babylon 5 series then.

Offline cloneof

Damm those thursdays...

Offline Vidmaster

good old hitchhiker  :lol:

Anybody having some Hunters related questions for me to ask? No matter what, gameplay related, "production"-history related, ...

Offline Demitri

Ok, bit of a silly question but...

When you were creating the missions for FH, or making missions in general, what difficulty setting are you using? I ask because the 2259 and 2260 were the 2 hardest bastard campaigns i've ever played! I gave up on Dark Children in sheer frustration at being killed all the damn time! (admittedly my piloting skills leaves a hell of a lot to be desired!)
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline VERTi60

• I have faith
    • NetStorm HQ
Vid you really need to start to voice act the FH campaign, even if you start with the captain's log. You did fair enough job for the dark children, you can do this. Any considerations after the third part is finished?
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed...
...it became something greater: Our last best hope for victory.

-watch or download The Babylon Project: Raider Wars the Movie-

-recorded TBP missions & campaigns-

-Freespace Portal SK-

-NetStorm: Islands at War, free online RTS game-

Offline Vidmaster

Ok, bit of a silly question but...

no silly question at all. Only unasked questions are stupid.

When you were creating the missions for FH, or making missions in general, what difficulty setting are you using? I ask because the 2259 and 2260 were the 2 hardest bastard campaigns i've ever played!

Did you play any of MAG's missions? B5 Starfury Pilot?
Anyway, all Hunters missions are tested on Medium by myself, since that's the usual difficulty for me. (TBP defaults to Easy by the way, that's one under Medium).

My campaigns are definitely not the walk-through kind. (okay, for me they are since after playtesting a particular mission part 20 times, you know the drill  :) ).
On the other hand, Hunters are very controlled campaigns, very scripted. I don't put say 5 enemy wings here and 2 friendly there and then set all on attack-all. All missions are controlled and beatable, that's what actually takes most of the time during fredding, finding out what to throw at the player.

The mission design philosophy behind Hunters is simple, it has only two parts:
Challenge and Reward.

Yeah, those missions are often difficult. I doubt the average player can finish any of the later in the first two tries. That's intended. You always have to keep track of your surroundings, learn the special rules of the mission and never let your guard down to succeed.
But on the other hand, all missions really reward the player. The campaign rewards the player.
It's not just like "hey, good work on taking out that army, now look here another one just twice as big". I designed both missions and story to make the player feel that he or she has an impact on things, to make the player feel bad-ass when winning.  ;)

Fast-paced action and fast-paced story that goes hand in hand with the canon but still going the extra-mile to flesh out the universe and the events. I wanted to retell Season 2 - 4 in a way that even a non-B5 watcher could understand.
Mind sound selfish but I think I succeeded.

I gave up on Dark Children in sheer frustration at being killed all the damn time! (admittedly my piloting skills leaves a hell of a lot to be desired!)

DarkChildren on the other hand was never a polished product. As is (sadly) my Operations campaigns.
Hunters is my flagship campaign if you will. The thing I really care about.

Vid you really need to start to voice act the FH campaign, even if you start with the captain's log. You did fair enough job for the dark children, you can do this. Any considerations after the third part is finished?

Definitely. Although I am not sure about the Personal Log and Briefing parts. Ingame will be voice-acted after part three is released, since that way I can make last-minute changes to the whole Trilogy and then release the ultimate final edition (in a steel silver case, only 9999 bucks  :lol: ).
The problem with the log is that if you give the player character a voice, it might prevent you from connection to your alter-ego.
And it would have to be recorded twice, since your charcater has no fixed gender (it was a pain in the ass to write all the lines without addressing Boss as he or she ever, something that happens almost automatically when you start writing fiction).

I am really working hard on getting it done.

Offline Demitri

Did you play any of MAG's missions? B5 Starfury Pilot?
Yes and no. i did play thro EBW, but as far as i'm aware, that is the only one of MAG's campaigns i've tried. That was pretty damn tough as well now that i think about it. Remember lots of pounding my fist of my desk and throwing away my joystick (amazed i never broke the bloody thing!) As i said before, i am a pretty woeful pilot. EA wouldn't be recruiting me in a hurry! :lol:
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Vidmaster

The amusing thing is that the version of Earth-Brakiri War you have access to (aka the released version) is the super-easy version.

I was one of the testers of the original, before he decided to add tons of more wings with the only goal to protect the player and to give the player 3000 hitpoints instead of the standart 400.
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH still doesn't do justice to the difficutly level of the original version.  :lol:

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
And what is the point of creating a damn too difficult campaign that only a very few of people can get pass ? Doesn't that ruin the replayability of the campaign ?

I played through FH2259 2 times, FH2260 1 time, Dark Children 1 time in my whole life and I won't replay them (unless FH2261 is released) although they were wonderful they made me feel frustrated rather than joyful, and it took me too much time to play through vid's campaigns.

And, the only reason why I could get pass them, was that I knew a little of FREDDing  :D
TBP's apprentice FREDDER.

Campaign in development:
Guardian of Light (Demo state)(Download DEMO here)
The First Invasion - Part 1 (Planning Concept)

Single Mission :
Human-Narn First Contact (Download here)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Try playing them in debug mode on insane then you can complain.   :pimp:
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Vidmaster

the problem is that two worlds collide here.
The first belongs to people who are playing FS2 since 10 years, the second one is inhabited by newer players.
I think I've struck a balance. Because of the 5000 downloads (single download link alone, I lack the ability to count the DVD downloads) just about 10 people ever complained and most did so about missions which were made easier in the second re-release. (M6, the CivilWar and M8, the Brakiri Station)

Offline Vash

i've always loved the fortune hunters campaings... the stories were always good and the need to finish a mission, no matter how hard, was always there. some missions were really hard and then i needed to stop, take a rest, play something else and continu the next day. new insights always helped me to beat the harder missions.
and i'm one of those who started playing FS2 Mods when i found out about TPB 3.0 when it was released. it was the first space sim i played since good ol' X-Wing

so please... hurry up with part 3, i can't wait  :p