Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 48302 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
A KT needs 7,65 seconds to blow up a Sherman (2 shots from the 88), while a Sherman needs 19 seconds to fire 6 times, using the 75 mm gun.
That's about 2,5 times longer.

It also takes a Sherman an infinite amount of time to destroy a KT if the two meet head on.

That's the difference between a Tier 5 tank and a Tier 8 tank.  Go ahead and take your Tier 2 tank against a Tier 5 tank.  If anything, you'll have less of a chance.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
If you think the armor on a King Tiger is amazing...

...The armor on the Jagdtiger was rediculous.

:blah:

Have you seen the Maus?

I've seen one anihilate almost the entire team.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Then the entire team was full of idiots and deserved it.  Maus may be large, but it's not the best T10, or even in the running for it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
If you think the armor on a King Tiger is amazing...

...The armor on the Jagdtiger was rediculous.

:blah:

Only in a bad way. The JT is actually the worst of the Tier 9 TDs in the game, and can be frontally penetrated with some regularity by Tier 7 guns on a significant portion of its surface. I've done it with both American and French 90s and the German long 88.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The ****? That's the last area you should be able to pentrate the Jagdtiger. The source I've got lists the armor as being up to 9.8 inches thick at the front!

(edit: this is the superstructure armor. I'm not sure about the lower armor regions, or if a shot trap is the concern here. Otherwise, I blame the Russians.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 08:02:51 pm by Thaeris »
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Part of it is by comparison. The other Tier 9s currently in the game are the T95 (which is the only thing in the game whose front armor is truly inviolate against AP as far as I can tell), and the Object 704 (which has sexy sexy slope of 45 degrees or better and moves around a lot faster than other two), and the T30 (which has a full turret and a similar amount of armor on the top bits).

The other part is, as you guessed, it's mounted on a Tiger I chassis despite having a giant casemate on top, and the Tiger chassis is actually pretty high so it's hard to get a hull-down.

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yeah, you can pen it easy from the front with a Long 88 if you hit anywhere on the bottom third.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Part of it is by comparison. The other Tier 9s currently in the game are the T95 (which is the only thing in the game whose front armor is truly inviolate against AP as far as I can tell), and the Object 704 (which has sexy sexy slope of 45 degrees or better and moves around a lot faster than other two), and the T30 (which has a full turret and a similar amount of armor on the top bits).

The other part is, as you guessed, it's mounted on a Tiger I chassis despite having a giant casemate on top, and the Tiger chassis is actually pretty high so it's hard to get a hull-down.

Why the hell is it on a Tiger 1 chassis? The Jagdtiger was a tank hunting variant of the King Tiger!!!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Why the hell is it on a Tiger 1 chassis? The Jagdtiger was a tank hunting variant of the King Tiger!!!

It's not. (I screwed up, but then I think WG or somebody did as well since I remember seeing that in connection with the game.) But armor was removed from the chassis to compensate somewhat for weight gain on the casemate, and the initial suspension system proved inadequate so the final model had a different, slightly higher suspension that further exposed the body and the vulnerable lower glacis.

(If you want a German tank without a lower glacis that is vulnerable, get an E-75. It really pisses people off.)

A Feddie Story

Offline crizza

Lol, the E75 has one big weakspot and it is his lower front plate, if you don't angle it, you're screwed.
And every one of the 60 or so build Jagdtigers were build on a Tiger2 chassis and there was no gun in WW2 which could penetrate the front armour of that beast. Side armour...thats a different matter.
But all german tanks suffer from Wargaming being russians, 'cause the german tree needs some love or you can stop playing them.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
There's actually no such thing as Russian bias, bro. Most German tanks (aside from the E-100) are fine, same with American tanks, and the Russian line has a lot of ****ty tanks in it.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
T10 Mediums and TDs announced.

I am interested in this, how easy is it to pick up and play for the first time?  Am I just going to be murderated starting out?

Out of curiosity if they are adding T-62s and Pattons shouldn't they start using contemporary NATO vehicles for Germany and France like the Leopard and AMX-30?  Most late war drawing board Reich tanks struck me as being for the most part easier to manufacture versions of their current line up rather than technological leaps beyond the Panthers, Tiger IIs.  Certainly not anything that could stand up against PACT or NATO armor.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The game is tiered, so you start at Tier 1 and play against only other Tier 1s and Tier 2 tanks.  The higher tier you get, the higher tiers you fight.  They've also recently (last couple patches) added a tutorial system for new players that gives you a free Tier 3 premium tank if you complete it.

It's a grinding game, though, so be properly warned of that to begin with.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Out of curiosity if they are adding T-62s and Pattons shouldn't they start using contemporary NATO vehicles for Germany and France like the Leopard and AMX-30? 

The T-62 here appears to be the prototype version you can see in Kubinka rather than the one you'd actually see in the wild, and thus might actually be a contemporary to the tanks mentioned. (Note the small gun.)

The moving the French tanks up a tier was a clever method of nerfing them, and they probably needed it, but it's going to suck a lot of fun out of driving my AMX 13s.

EDIT: Apparently the Leopard 1 is in fact planned, though.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:25:30 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
There's actually no such thing as Russian bias, bro. Most German tanks (aside from the E-100) are fine, same with American tanks, and the Russian line has a lot of ****ty tanks in it.
There definitely was a large amount of Russian bias during the beta
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The moving the French tanks up a tier was a clever method of nerfing them, and they probably needed it, but it's going to suck a lot of fun out of driving my AMX 13s.

Going up tiers means more health, though, so that 13 90 is going to be even more of a pain to kill.

A KT needs 7,65 seconds to blow up a Sherman (2 shots from the 88), while a Sherman needs 19 seconds to fire 6 times, using the 75 mm gun.
That's about 2,5 times longer.

It also takes a Sherman an infinite amount of time to destroy a KT if the two meet head on.

That's the difference between a Tier 5 tank and a Tier 8 tank.  Go ahead and take your Tier 2 tank against a Tier 5 tank.  If anything, you'll have less of a chance.

In 6 shots a 75 mm Sherman does on average 660 damage. A King Tiger has 1500 HP (1600 with turret upgrade).
If the difference was 2 shots anywhere vs 6 from flanks/rear, I'd probably never bring up the topic.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
King Tiger was a monster. I know people yell "balance", but I prefer historicly accurate balance..
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I think the question you should ask yourself is : is it a game or is it a simulator.

If #1, then screw historical accuracy. If #2, then screw balance.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras