Author Topic: The Last of Us  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I don't generally tend to have a lot of time for as much gaming as I'd like, less when it comes to a console.

That said, I really do hope we see a PC version of this game, because that would be awesome and remove the so far only problem I have with this game, which is the controls mechanics.

That said, the opening sequence before the actual gameplay was ****ing awesome. Initially perfectly hilarious at spots and utterly believably real at spots and then slaps you upside the face with a "oh ****, they're not .... oh **** me, they did... DAMN" and then gives you control.

Still get chills over the opening.

I'd cautiously recommend getting it, but bear in mind that I'm not all that far into it, but so far the initial impression that I have for this is fairly favorable.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
I feel i should point out the same company made Uncharted, the flagship of PS3.

don't see no pc version in the near future
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
What's not so great about the control mechanics?
"No"

Offline Drogoth

I had no problem with the controls, although I have been a playstation player back since shortly after the ps2's launch, so maybe that's it.

As to the game itself.

Blew me away. Absolutely amazing. A work of art. This doesn't just go up there as being near the top of my top ten games list, it's near the top of my top ten narratives list.

The gameplay was solid if not inspired.. but the story. I don't think I've ever actively cared for characters in a video game like this before.

12/10. If you can play it, play it. If not, bully, bribe, or beg your way into playing it.
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I might get the HD Re-release on the PS4
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

I'll wait for the PC release.

Offline Drogoth

I'll wait for the PC release.

Naughty Dog is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony, there won't be one.
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline Aesaar

If no PC version, I'll pick up a PS3 for dirt cheap in a year or two and play it then.

Offline Luis Dias

Didn't play it, but watched most of the narrative on youtube.

I was blown away by the ending. Gut wrenchingly brutal. The kind of ending that will be remembered as a standard for these kinds of things long past.

If no PC version, I'll pick up a PS3 for dirt cheap in a year or two and play it then.

This sounds like a good plan, then.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Picking up PS4 as Sony has promised support for PS1, PS2 and PS3 titles through its Gaikai cloud gaming system seems like better long-term value to me.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Picking up PS4 as Sony has promised support for PS1, PS2 and PS3 titles through its Gaikai cloud gaming system seems like better long-term value to me.

Waitaminute. Support for PS2 titles?

Well then, I just need to find a way to transfer my Ace Combat 4/5/Zero saves over and I'm a happy, happy man.

In other news, I wish Naughty Dog would go back to the Jak and Daxter games. They were astonishingly fun.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Technically, I suppose it's possible to include software emulation for PS2 and PS1 (Emulating a PS3? Not bloody likely.), but given that they're going to use Gaikai, it's all happening "in the cloud". Which means no safegame transfers for you.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I started watching an LP yesterday.  This game is incredible; sad there will likely be no PC port.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Which means no safegame transfers for you.
Given that there's practically zero details on how it's all going to work in practice, it's way too early to say if it is indeed impossible to carry savegames over. For all we know, the cloud could support import of savegames. But it's yet another question whether such feature would be available immediately at launch.

Naughty Dog is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony, there won't be one.

I'm sure you're right, and I know what you're saying, but the logic in it is a little flimsy. Sony totally makes PCs too :P

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Bought a PS3 for this.

So worth it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Double post for great justice.

The Last of Us is, in my estimation, one of the best 3 games of this generation. It takes The Walking Dead and adds some more dynamic gameplay (While at the same time reducing variance by not giving you dialogue options). If one were to be critically inclined, one would call it rather linear.

However, linearity is not always a bad thing. In this case, it allows the game to tell a story and concentrate on getting it just right, hitting the exact tone it wants to hit.

I would compare it to three other games, Naughty Dog's Uncharted series, the Tomb Raider reboot, and Bioshock Infinite. TLoU's gameplay and design take themes from these games and remixes them into a compelling whole.
From Uncharted, we take the incredible sense ND has for building environments. Graphically, this is one of the most beautiful games out there. Yes, of yourse it looks dated when compared to Crysis 3 running on my PC, being locked to 720p and suffering from the need to have some low-resolution (but not low quality!) texture work here and there. But what it does bring to the table is an incredible amount of verisimilitude. The designers have put great care into making a believable, living world, and there will be times when the game will leave you stunned at the vistas it throws in your face.
From Tomb Raider, we take the scavenging theme. Unlike Tomb Raider, however, this aspect of the game is way more relevant, as it will make the decision to use ressources, especially ammunition, very relevant. You will find yourself running around with your guns almost empty for long stretches of time, you'll absolutely have to scavenge for crafting materials or you'll run out of critical ressources at the most inconvenient moments.
This basically has the effect of forcing you to be extremely careful in approaching combat, with stealth and plain old running away being the right choice more often than not.
From Bioshock Infinite, we take the dynamic between the main characters. However, where BSI's Elizabeth is more of a plot device than anything else, Ellie feels much more like a real person. The voice and motion actors for both characters are excellent, with Joel showing you all of the world-weariness and Ellie all of her 14-year-old-ness with a lot of nuance and detail. Another thing TLoU does much better than BSI is acknowledging the things Joel does over the course of the game.

Short version, if you can, play this game. It is sooooo worth it, and definitely one of the best games for the PS3, period.

For another insightful look at the game, I would recommend this article on gamasutra.