Author Topic: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)  (Read 115546 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)
I think the best thing to do is to get Raider Wars working, release and then get the others working for the next release.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wesp5

Re: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)
I think the best thing to do is to get Raider Wars working, release and then get the others working for the next release.

I agree. Until then I'll probably have all the Star Fury Pilot missions fixed and checked! I think they could work fine in the base game, as they are standalone missions available only in the mission simulator and thus good for beginners or fans of the show that only want to replay certain battles from specific episodes! I'll also check and fix the Shadows and Vorlon mini campaigns as I love the First Ones ships :)...

Speaking of mini campaigns, in TBP 3.4b included was the Earth Minbari demo campaign. I would recommend to rename this to Earth Minbari mini campaign as it isn't really a demo anymore as there never will be a final version! Unless we do it ourselves ;). There are two cool missions from that time in the Star Fury Pilot pack, "In the Beginning" and "The Battle of the line", basically the first and last missions of that war. Is anyone of you a good enough editor to merge these two with the original missions and thus kind of finish the Earth Minbari war campaign?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You mean just adding them to the campaign without making any other changes? That's a five minute job at worst.

If any changes need to be made to the missions themselves, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Offline wesp5

You mean just adding them to the campaign without making any other changes? That's a five minute job at worst.

Really? They have none of the planning stages all the other missions have.

If any changes need to be made to the missions themselves, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

I'll fix the missions themselves for the Star Fury Pilot pack, don't worry :)...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

Well adding those would count as a change to the mission itself.

Well I posted a screenshot from The Raider Wars on the Babylon 5 Facebook group and within mere minutes there was 55 likes and several comments asking questions about it. I posted some links to this forum as well as for Knossos. There are over 33,000 members in that group and like I have stated before there is a LOT of interest in this MOD.

Update 279 likes and almost a hundred comments
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 02:47:03 am by OverDhill »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Do you have a link? I'm always interested to read comments from outside the community.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@OverDhill: Small correction regarding your FB post: You won't need to buy FS2 to play TBP since it's a TC. The same is true for Diaspora and FotG.
@karajorma: https://www.facebook.com/groups/578108902293988/permalink/1626491150789086/

Offline wesp5

Well adding those would count as a change to the mission itself.

I have not enough knowledge to do something like this. I fixed issues with missing ships or similar stuff that can be found out when using debug mode, but if we would want to do something like this, someone else would need to do it :)!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I can do briefing stages pretty easily. The question is whether adding command briefings, etc is going beyond what we'd feel comfortable doing to someone else's campaign without their permission.

Offline wesp5

The question is whether adding command briefings, etc is going beyond what we'd feel comfortable doing to someone else's campaign without their permission.

Indeed. I'm pretty sure that Shaun Williams has no problems with this as he allowed me to update the Star Fury Pilot missions in the first place, but I don't even know who did the original Earth Minbari war campaign and how they could be reached! It's still intended to include the current version though as it was in TBP 3.4b, no?

Are there any members here that worked on TBP back then? If so do you remember a Robert Arthur who I bumped into in the B5 Facebook room.  He says he made the original B5 station model, vorlon dreadnought & transports back in 2005 - 2007.  He also said " Career and life items made it hard to really dive into since then... However, I might lend a hand here and there if I can get time" and "Well.... I have more time now that I am retired from the military... I do contract work.... So I might be able to revive a good amount of work... I would use the originals as just another LOD, no reason to waste good work." and " I dont have access to Hard-Light.... My DoD Contract has me deployed on USNS boats and USN networks has Hard-Light blocked because it is a game site..... so I will communicate mostly here (or perhaps we should do a FB page of our own if we are going to revisit The B5 Project....".

So I am not sure if you guys are interested in maybe improving the media used for TBP. If so maybe you can contact Robert.  He sent me this private message "I am talking with originals of The B5 Project... I am already playing with some of my old models for grins... However, his is our baby so from the few I talked to they seem interested in tinkering and updating and perhaps adding new missions.... Perhaps the fan base could offer up mission stories for us to consider and bring to life... thoughts?"

What are your thoughts as I was not part of the project and although I programmed a bit my career was a Labview real time data acquisition and control programmer that designed test system for a Ford test lab so my knowledge about any of this is limited. I do not want to speak out of place.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 01:00:37 pm by OverDhill »

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
I've noticed a couple problems with the B5 model and the Starliner Asimov model.  See https://mantis.hard-light.net/view.php?id=1084 and https://mantis.hard-light.net/view.php?id=1087.
The hyperspace nebula doesn't appear on recent nightlies.
If Discord isn't blocked for Robert, that's probably the best place to hang out, and there's even a #tbp channel.  https://discord.gg/YNVP3WR
Edit:  I figured out the issue with the hyperspace nebula.  TBP 3.4 had both a DDS and a PCX texture file for it, but TBP 3.5 used only the DDS.  Switching to the PCX file restored its appearance.  One thing I did notice though is that with either file, the nebula didn't show up at all after the 3/6 nightly.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:55:36 pm by PIe »
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Is there any way to get a DDS that looks like the PCX?  It would probably perform better in game.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline wesp5

Hi, before I continue testing the missions of my patch, can someone from the developer team please acknowledge these issues that I found?

Global changes:
I added "repair" to several "rearm" messages in strings.tbl, because the command is used for both. I recommend to include that in 3.5!

Global issues:
It also seems that the planet Narn is missing, like there still is a SB_Narn_01, but not Stars_Planet_Narn01-03 which were available in 3.4b.

Global warnings:
Sound 'Ship_Jump_3rd.wav' has more than one channel but is used as a 3D sound! 3D sounds may only have one channel. Can you fix this?

Local warnings:
Fast debug gives this "Warning: Could not find a usable muzzle glow bitmap (vorlon_glow) for weapon 'VE Lightning Cannon'!" Can you fix this?
Warning: Could not find a usable bitmap (Drakh_neutron) for weapon 'DH Scatter'!
Warning: Could not find a usable glow bitmap (trailwep_glow) for weapon 'DH Scatter'!

Offline wesp5

Today I tested two more missions of the pack which played fine, except for the warnings I already mentioned here. But I noticed something else: compared to TBP 3.4b all the models look overbright and not lighted correctly, in fact much worse than before! If you can explain to me how to take a screenshot from inside the game I could post some pictures here for comparison. All graphics options in the launcher and the game itself are the same, is there something else in Knossos that I could adjust?

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
The screenshot key is Print Screen and the screenshots are stored in %appdata%\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\screenshots.
The difference may (though I don't know for sure) be due to rendering changes in FSO >=3.8.0 vs <=3.7.4
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline wesp5

The screenshot key is Print Screen and the screenshots are stored in %appdata%\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\screenshots.
The difference may (though I don't know for sure) be due to rendering changes in FSO >=3.8.0 vs <=3.7.4

Thanks for the info, this makes reporting issues so much easier :). But if the quality change is indeed due to 3.8.0 vs  3.7.0, the latter should be kept!
You must admit, that the old version looks much better, so unless the mission itself has a light parameter set that isn't valid anymore this sucks bad...

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline wesp5

While checking out the In the beginning mission I found two more global problems and maybe a model one, see the attached screenshots:

Global problems:

- Sprites connected to subsystems are not removed when the subsystem is destroyed, e. g. EA Hyperion Cruiser.
- When docking you can see through the hull of the shuttle, I recommend to just have it dock at a greater distance.

Model problem:

- Should't the EA Nova have the EA logo on the side instead of this texture?

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Skullar

In my memories TBP was not THAT ugly....