Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 763961 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
Let's not start that up again :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Just in case, shame on you Turey, you didn't put stuff in the right folders. :P

Unless [DW]-Hunter changed something while I wasn't looking, the Installer doesn't download INF RC1.

EDIT:I checked, it still doesn't download any Inferno stuff.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 01:51:01 pm by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Who said there was an inferno build in there? AFAIK theres nothing even related to inferno in the installer.  :wtf:

Offline Q

thanks guys for the help  :)

Cobra was on the right track - i had a "INF_Main.vp" file in main FS2 folder somehow.
i havent put any other custom files in my FS2 folder so far. as far as the inferno stuff
is concerned, i double checked that stuff and its the only file i have from inferno, despite
the other 6 files coming along with that package.
well strange. something for the space of unexplainable mysteries  ::)

again thanks a lot!

ps: i guess some small program / addition to FSO to check for a clean FS2 install would
help newcomers tremendously  :nod:
before this installer it must have been hell  :blah:
i am coming from the ofp scene which is very modable as well and has the same problems,
so thats nothing new to me  :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Checking for a clean install is kinda hard cause there are so many ways you can screw up. I do give manual instructions on how to clean up in my FAQ.

As for it being hell to install before, it was tricky. Again my FAQ explains what you have to do manually and it's not an easy thing :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

earlier it was installing the wrong root_fs2.vp when its fixed now. It was uploading GotY 1.2 version tables.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Hey, this installer is great. So far its complete when it comes to asking me what i wanted to download.
Just cleared out my fs2 old install to usher in the 3.6.9 release the lazy way. I also figured out why this installer can run on linux...because of java. That's cool and all, and the ui of the interface wasn't that bad really, it just went along with the theming of my xp, after that it had some blue buttons and that was it.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
I just noticed that there's a problem with the pre-existing file checking in the Updater. I have the fix coded and tested, and I'll re-compile and upload after dinner.

EDIT: Uploaded. Now, it can even check the files within zip files without downloading the whole zip file!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:44:12 pm by Turey »
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Turey, are you uploading a new version?

The file size keeps changing, but it's not 20MB and won't unzip.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Turey, are you uploading a new version?

The file size keeps changing, but it's not 20MB and won't unzip.

Yes. I'm uploading. I found some bugs in the way the Updater was handling already-installed files, so I fixed it.

EDIT: Upload finished, should work now.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:47:51 pm by Turey »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Just a suggestion, maybe not practical:
Have the GUI ask this question first:
Do you want to use the Wizard (Recommended for Beginners), or Tree (Advanced) view?
Then, if the user selects Tree view, have all of the yes/no questions as a list of check boxes, sort of like the Retail installer.  That way no-one has to go through all the questions if they don't want to, they can just select/deselect and go.
Of course, maybe you're already working on something like this, or maybe that wouldn't work...  but I thought it was worth suggesting.

;) :cool: Great work though, keep it up!!!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
I don't have a tree view coded yet, though I'm working on it.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:yes: :cool:

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Lol, extremely simple to install a full featured game. The only thing that sucked was that there's a problem with the fsport audio, and of course this is definitely sounding like an unrelated problem to the installer.
Anyways sweet, now i can get people this game a lot easier :)
For reference i like it just the way it is. The ability to resume eeeehh, i don't care about that, good thing to go for, i mean i did like download a couple of gigs for the game. The dos windows is cool, yes it was scary at first because it brings up this console window and i'm like wtf is this? Then i was patient and the gui part came up. After that the dos window continually posting how far it got with what part of the download was cool as hell.
But, yeah, a wizard for beginner users would be recommended, same thing for the advanced portion as well.
If you could make it sort of like the fs2 installer...the part of it where you get to check and uncheck what you want installed, that would really make the installer go much faster, as opposed to confirmation question after confirmation question. Just check off what you want installed with everything the installer has to offer to install, then click download. Also perhaps another notion of making the installer create a directory for fs2 to be installed too along with the existing choose a folder to install to feature. With the installer i had to go into my games partition, make the fs2 folder, then make the installer choose that. That little side trip wasn't hard, but yet another thing that can confuse noobs (reminds me of when my friend installed his doom3 with the install directory as nothing more than "c:\"  :lol: ). Or maybe the installer does let me create a folder and i just missed it :pimp:
Anyway, it works perfectly as it is, since it is java, you probably could get rid of the dos window for a graphical representation of the download and installation progress (then again i know **** of java).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 02:02:37 am by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Or maybe the installer does let me create a folder and i just missed it :pimp:

one of the buttons at the top of the choose folder dialog is a create folder button. I just don't remember which one.

hio
i got the hotu version, but somehow with the retail VPs at correct size
the MVEs were just dummy with 1KB, so i ran your openinstaller and selected everything for PORT and OPEN
also the new .ogg files, but when the dos window disappeared there were neither the FS1 nor the FS2 .ogg files
im downloading them now manually and hope to put them in the right directories
btw: should i move the new media_vps now to the main folder or they work fine where the installer puts them ?
the readme in the media_vp directory tell me to move them :S
somehow its all a little confusing here

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Or maybe the installer does let me create a folder and i just missed it :pimp:

one of the buttons at the top of the choose folder dialog is a create folder button. I just don't remember which one.

See pic:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline calvin

Hello,

I havn't read the entire thread and so I'm not sure if it was mentioned anywhere.
But I think it would be nice, if you can read the size of a package before marking if for download.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
but when the dos window disappeared there were neither the FS1 nor the FS2 .ogg files

You shouldn't need to download them again. The .oggs are there, they've just been packaged into a .vp file. If the intro movie plays, then they're there.

btw: should i move the new media_vps now to the main folder or they work fine where the installer puts them ?
the readme in the media_vp directory tell me to move them :S
somehow its all a little confusing here

The mediavps are in the correct spot. That readme is old.

Hey installer dude :) (Turey) any new FS2 updater's around that I need? Last one I downloaded was the one where you have to type c:\games\feespace2

Yea I'm too dam lazy to read  ;7 For real I actually don't have the time to search around I got 3 cars in the yard to fix by Friday.
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP