Author Topic: I need a few testers for the upcomming MediaVP  (Read 39381 times)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Re: I need a few testers for the upcomming MediaVP
DaB, what's the timeframe for this testing period? I ask because I think I might be able to finish the Loki in a couple more days if all goes well, and considering the work that everyone's put into this release, it'd be nice to get it in there also. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Probably till next weekend. Unless there aren't any errors left already. Which is unlikely... ;)

can i be a tester?

My test crew is complete already.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Excellent, that should do nicely then. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I've just noticed that mipmaps aren't good for glow points. I don't know why they make these lights very dim if you are far away.

Here you got an example over the Arcadia. I've just erased mipmaps in green_glow.dds. The mouse is pointing what I'm saying.

As this textures are usually quite small, maybe it could be a good idea not using mipmaps in them. (I suppose we aren't going to suffer a really big performance drop  ;) ).

[attachment deleted by admin]
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
light get dimmer as you get farther away. its realism!

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Yes... some effects don't really like mipmaps...

I'll take them out for all glowpoints. However, the mipmaping quality depends the gfx drivers...
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Assuming that the glows points are DDS with pre-generated mipmaps, then it's the DDS converters fault.  You can change the quality of the sampling used for mipmap resizing to something that works better and doesn't distort the image so much.  With NVDXT I use the gaussian filter, which does quite well.  If the mipmaps are created properly then they actually look pretty good, and you generally don't see any issues with them.

There are exceptions though (beam textures, some missile trails), but that is primarily due to code issues than actually being a problem with mipmaps.  We don't really handle blending differently for anything, so it's a one shot deal.  At some point I'll try and deal with proper filtering modes for different effects (for explosions, weapons, and things like that we need to use LOD bias rather than anisotropic filtering, for instance).  But, crappy mipmap quality is generally to blame, and using box or cubic filters when making mipmaps has a tendency to suck pretty bad the smaller that you get.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I think that the problem with glowpoints is that the lower mipmap (8x8 and lower) pixels are a "mix" of the inner bright colours and the black background. So you have a green dot but a darker green dot.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

GTC Fenris (cruiser1.pof) - (Although maybe it isn't the final model because the turret error):
+ LOD2 is bad mapped.
+ This isn't the version that comes with vp 3.6.8. and it seems worse. It has more maps and has a 'GTC_Orff' instead of the correct 'nameplate' so IIRC, nameplate name changing within existing missions is going to fail.
+ (BTW. In the actual edition of vps, the cool lightspeed-nebulaed FS2 campaign is not included).
Well spotted. :)

Right, DaB brought me into the testing group, and I've now taken a very thorough look at all the ships I've done that are in the current "mv_assets_new_v2.vp", checked them against my most up to date set and have also made some small to large improvments using new techniques I've learned since I first did them. For example, the Fenris' terrible over-smoothing issue has been improved, most of the shinemaps have been improved greatly, and all the formats have been corrected.

Here's the to-do list based on the current state of mv_assets_new_v2:

===Fenris===

Remove: (old and no-longer used at all in anything files)
- Fenris-HTL_b.dds
- Fenris-HTL_b-shine.dds
- Fenris-HTL_Subs.dds
- Fenris-HTL_Subs-shine.dds
- FenrisTrim1.dds
- FenrisTrim1-shine.dds
- FenrisTrim2.dds
- FenrisTrim2-shine.dds

Update: (grab the new versions from following RAR file)
- Fenris-HTL.dds
- Fenris-HTL-shine.dds
- Fenris-HTL-glow.dds
- Fenris-HTL_debris.dds
- cruiser01.pof
- cruiser01.ibx

from http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Ships/HTL_Fenris_V2.1.rar

Done!

===Leviathan===

Remove:
- Levy-HTL_b.dds
- Levy-HTL_b-shine.dds
- Levy-HTL_Subs.dds
- Levy-HTL_Subs-shine.dds

Update:
- Levy-HTL.dds
- Levy-HTL-shine.dds
- Levy-HTL-glow.dds
- cruiser01x.pof
- cruiser01x.ibx

from http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Ships/HTL_Leviathan_V2.1.rar

Done!

===Aeolus===

Remove:
- Aeolus-HTL_Beam1.dds
- Aeolus-HTL_d.dds
- Aeolus-HTL_Flak1.dds

Update:
- Resave Aeolus-HTL-shine.dds as a dxt3 rather than 5 maybe? The Aeolus is otherwise already 100% up to date. :)

Done!

===Triton===

Remove:
- Triton_HTL1_c.dds

Update:
- Triton_HTL1.dds
- Triton_HTL1-shine.dds
- Triton_HTL1-glow.dds
- Triton_HTLDebris.dds
- Triton_HTLDebris-glow.dds
- Triton_HTL_Turrets.dds
- Triton_HTL_Turrets-shine.dds
- freighter2t-01.pof
- freighter2t-01.ibx

from http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Ships/HTL_Triton_V2.0.rar

Done!

===TC-Tri===

Update:
- TC-Tri-HTL.dds
- TC-Tri-HTL-shine.dds
- TC-Tri-HTL_Debris.dds

from http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Ships/HTL_TC-Tri_V2.0.rar

Done!

===Lucifer===

Update:
- Lucifer-HTL.dds
- Lucifer-HTL-shine.dds
- Lucifer-HTL-glow.dds
- Lucifer-HTL_Debris.dds
- Lucifer-HTL_Debris-glow.dds

from http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Ships/HTL_Lucifer_V2.0.rar

Done!

=======================================

And that's it for now - big list sorry, but there are some big improvments in there from both an aesthetic and functional POV. ;)

Edit: Updated the Fenris and Leviathan to versions 2.1. I had to reconvert them both and fixed a number of other little problems.

Edit: Changed the download links.

Links busted.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Yeah, I get a 403 Forbidden error.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
You were supposed to have d/led them by now. :p

The links aren't busted though - Sectorgames host has come under some kind of attack and has disallowed FTP stuff for the time being.

I do have copies uploaded to freewebs, but the next media VPs are just around the corner really:
Aeolus V2.0
Fenris V2.1
Leviathan V2.1
Lucifer V2.0
TC-Tri V2.0
Triton V2.0
Twisted Infinities

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Are those the flying mirror fix patches?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Yes, but more than that - these have improved efficiency, better shine maps and a number of bugfixes.
Twisted Infinities

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!

The links aren't busted though - Sectorgames host has come under some kind of attack and has disallowed FTP stuff for the time being.

I do have copies uploaded to freewebs, but the next media VPs are just around the corner really:
Aeolus V2.0
Fenris V2.1
Leviathan V2.1
Lucifer V2.0
TC-Tri V2.0
Triton V2.0

What difference with the models in the latest Media VP ?
* MetalDestroyer want screenies ! :D

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Gah!
You know the single most annoying aspect of modding? Looking over past work and going 'eww'. :(
Well I went to get some screens to show the difference, and now the shinemaps of all those ships are doing that to me once more.

The main improvment is the fenris' smoothing - it no longer sucks, but beyond that - to be honest, it'll only be a matter of time before I see them again and go 'GAH!' and redo them then and there. :\
I learned a lot from making the loki - stuff that would really benefit these ships.

Anyways, the pics are here, though they are very dark and there's not a huge amount of difference to see anyway:

So umm, yeah. Won't be staying like that, but I don't have time to upgrade them again for the near future.
Twisted Infinities

Offline Snail

• SC 5
All I see is more pronounced color. Not much of a 'fix,' IMO, more like and upgrade. :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
VA, couldn't you use the command line options to turn up the lighting?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I could have and probably should have, but was too lazy because I like the contrast in the lighting. ;)

These are essentially just bugfixes and optimisations with slightly better shine maps - they don't really deserve these comparison shots, but they were requested by MetalDestroyer. I expect this won't be the final version of any of them either.
Twisted Infinities

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I could have and probably should have, but was too lazy because I like the contrast in the lighting. ;)

These are essentially just bugfixes and optimisations with slightly better shine maps - they don't really deserve these comparison shots, but they were requested by MetalDestroyer. I expect this won't be the final version of any of them either.

Thanks for the screenies. I don't notice a major difference exept color/texture choice. Are you planning to HTL the Colossus and the Iceni ? (I know there was  some work on both models, but we don't have any news since a year.

Aeolus V2.0
Fenris V2.1
Leviathan V2.1
Lucifer V2.0
TC-Tri V2.0
Triton V2.0

What difference with the models in the latest Media VP ?
* MetalDestroyer want screenies ! :D

Thanks for the links