Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The Scripting Workshop

AI - revisited

(1/13) > >>

ares:
Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, so bear with me a little. I am slasher from the game-warden forums.

I am a quite experienced c/c++ coder and I'm currently studying for a PhD in Robotics/AI in Germany. I got here via the Battlestar Galactica mod hosted on game-warden and I am very interested in doing things with the AI. Now, I have heard there are weird things going on when you edit parts of the AI code... there were some forum messages to that effect.

Anyway, I've been reading up on game-oriented AI (which is quite different from academic AI research) and FS2_open in general, which makes me have some questions to you guys.

1) Would it be useful to add Lua scripting hooks to the AI code to add new behaviors that way? I'm not so sure of the details here, but after a brief look at the wiki, that should be possible and maybe a bit more appropriate than another .tbl file?

2) To avoid the whole backwards compatibility discussion, could there be one big setting saying "use AI implementation X" with a default pointing to the current one? I've already gone through the code to identify the "interface", i.e. the ai_* functions called from outside the AI module, which has to stay the same. So, with this global setting, it should be fairly easy (famous last words) to reimplement the AI in some other way. Once I find my way around completely, modularization of the AI code would be my first priority.

3) Any questions/comments/requests/hints from your side are very much appreciated. I've only been reading into this for a couple of days, so I might be completely wrong with my assessment of the situation.

For now, I am still working on getting my development build from the HEAD to run, so it will be a little while until my contributions come in. However, game development (especially AI) has always fascinated me, so I am very motivated. Let me know what you think.

Bye!

Tempest:
I'd like a more dynamic AI system personally. The current AI is a bit plain and quite frankly doesn't fight like a human would. I'd like the game to automatically randomize AI flight characteristics at the beginning of the mission, which could be done in the modular fasion you described. I don't know what the SCP coders say, but I say go for it.

Also, I think the game already allows you to select a different AI version but I've only been able to select the retail version. Correct me if I'm wrong but a modified AI version was used but people didn't like it?

I'd like the AI to dogfight better instead of leading you in circles and also it needs to learn how to fly capships and bombers properly. I was actually thinking that it'd be nice to see an AI take control of a capship and figure out where it should position itself to to maximum damage. It would make capship fights MUCH better.

Again, I haven't touched the SCP code so I'm not sure what those guys will say.

Bob-san:
My turn!  :D

:welcome:

Welcome to Hard Light Productions! Here are the minor offenses, and their corresponding punishments! Never comined "F", "S", or "3" in a thread! This minor offense is usually combated by the use of our standardized Flame-throwers! But, due to budget problems and a few legal concerns (lawyers don't like clients charred to their bones), there is no longer napal in the flame thrower, but rather holy water! Another major offense is disturbing our little buddy (hey! That was my lunch!) called Carl, the resident Shivan who has taken a fancy to living in our walls! Throw him your lunch, and you should be fine... But if you happen to be caught in the wall with Carl, simply take the emergancy saw, and cut off a few limbs! Carl should stop persuit, but if he doesnt... you're on your own! If you wish to leave HLP, simply walk to the back of the ship, and operate the airlocks! The only problem with that choices is the airlocks no longer work! You may check-out any time you wish, but you many not leave HLP! If you should have any concerns, simply walk to the bridge and open up the weapons locker. Inside is your standard AK-47 and Plasma Rifle! However, most of us have a bit of a hard time getting in, as only moderators, the hyper-intelligent shade of blue, and :v: have keys in! If you are a bit weary of staying on HLP, simply blow through the airlock and try to make your way over to the Game-Warden sister-station. Be careful, though! We are out of space suits, and I hear space doesn't have much oxygen... or much of anything! Good luck and enjoy your stay!

I guess too many of us are afraid to use new tactics... most people's style in this game is very practiced; most of us have played the main campaign many times as well as many mods.

I'd be happy to get some new higher AI-class levels... perhaps a learning-style for higher AI classes? Make engaging them gain at a certain rate, and nonengaging a quarter as fast learning? So if a enemy watches you dogfight for two minutes, it the equivelant of thirty-seconds in combat with you?

spartan_0214:
Stronger AI has always been something I've been looking forward to. I have no clue what you are talking about in your first post, but whatever you can do to make the enemy fighters fight smarter would be a boon to FS2, IMHO.

Goober5000:
:welcome:

Sounds great. :) Do you have any code samples you could show us?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version