Author Topic: SB Taurvi WIP  (Read 50566 times)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
#2 definitely. #1 is just too many IMO. :)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yeah #2 looks a lot better.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
The second one comes the closest to matching the current texture for the ship.

And while that, in and of itself, should not be a limiting factor by any means, it also does look a little less crowded.

They both do look good. #1 has a uniformity to it that lends itself to unleashing hell in a great flurry.

But I think #2 is probably going to be the vote winner, though I think the 13th (furthest outside tip) tube does not look quite right from a deployment capability stand point. Maybe knock it off and space the remaining ones along that face out just a titch?
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline -Norbert-

Considering the size of the Bombs, I'd go for #2 too.

And if all of the front space is taken up by the missle tubes, were do the primary weapon slots go?

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I know that one primary is on the end of the two spikes that meet at the front.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I would vote for 2nd... but can you make it a little less crowded? like taking one or two launch tubes and then distributing the space between each other of the tubes?
el hombre vicio...

Offline Kolgena

#2, but drop the tube closest to the outside edge. It looks like it has a recessed tube opening, with no space behind it to actually put a bomb.

And uh, hot damn.

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Playing around with the spacing yields this.

By brotherbryon at 2009-06-10

Does any one definitively know where the primaries and engines are supposed to be located on this model? The closest thing to looking like an engine is the diamond shaped sections in between the hull and the missile pods.

By brotherbryon at 2009-06-10

Any other suggestions as far as details are concerned.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I'd advise opening the POF in ModelView and seeing where the weapon firing points and thruster glows are.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:39:47 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Narvi

There seems to be a lot of wasted space now; you might want to resize or rearrange the holes again.

Can't wait to shoot those things.
Best of luck there!  :yes:
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Does any one definitively know where the primaries and engines are supposed to be located on this model? The closest thing to looking like an engine is the diamond shaped sections in between the hull and the missile pods.
Primaries:

Engines:

(There is a third engine in the same place as the left-most engine in the picture but on the other side.)

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Hmm, Not sure if I should even bother trying to model in the primaries given the odd configuration. The engines could use a few details but again I'm going to be limited by space constraints there too. I've already rounded off the main engine based on the textures. Not sure what if anything else to put there to make it look more like an engine. The missile tubes already consume nearly as many polys as the whole model did before adding them so at this time I feel it would be a waste to add any more polys to them. As far as redoing the missiles to try to consume some of that wasted space I think there about as good as they can get. The angling of the missile bays makes it really difficult to properly space out each individual missile. The only way it could be done is if I changed the diameter of each individual missile tube as they progress down to the smaller side of the bay. As it stands now I had to use 3 different missile tube models adding more will make mapping and textures that much more complicated. I could put a few details there in place of missile tubes to make it look less like wasted space.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
And how about you NOT model teh missile tubes? :P

Honestly, I don't see whats the big need for it:
1. In freespace, except for a couple of ships, the missiles don't stick out, they are all internal.
2. Lots of polys wasted in a superfluous detail

But if you MUST model the holes, it might be worth a shot taking some artistic liberty, and modelling them more in line with shivan aesthetics, instead of having those tubes that just detract fromth e rest of the ship :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline FoxtrotTango

• "...in a way, you've stolen his soul."
And how about you NOT model teh missile tubes? :P

Honestly, I don't see whats the big need for it:
1. In freespace, except for a couple of ships, the missiles don't stick out, they are all internal.
2. Lots of polys wasted in a superfluous detail

But if you MUST model the holes, it might be worth a shot taking some artistic liberty, and modelling them more in line with shivan aesthetics, instead of having those tubes that just detract fromth e rest of the ship :)

For all we know, Shivan missiles could have some crazy shapes attached to them and still work fine. It's the same way with their ships, so why not the missiles? It gives a lot of open ground to explore.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
My point exactly :P
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Narvi

You might want to maintain compatibility with the mediavps shivan missiles.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
You might want to maintain compatibility with the mediavps shivan missiles.
Missile tubes have no effect as the missiles spawn in front of the ship.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
How about adding more firing points for secondary weapons? It'd be nice to see swarms of Shivan Hornets coming out from each and all of the tubes. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]