General FreeSpace > Interviews

The Long Awaited Truth on the SCP ... and about Geomod on the SCP.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Cyborg17:
Do Sexps fall under the same category as needing weeks of familiarization. I know I could use a few sexps for special cases, but I don't want to bother you guys with requests when there are a lot of different things that need working on.

And I agree with Rodo. You guys have done awesome work over the years.  Coming in now makes me kind of complacent to things like multi-ship docking, but reading this makes it clear that you put a heck of a lot of work into it.  :yes:

Goober5000:
SEXPs have the twin advantages that a) new ones can be added easily; b) adding SEXPs doesn't necessarily require one to be familiar with the rest of the code.  So they're almost the ideal place for newbies to start. :)

Daveb's article on the subject is handy for reference.  It was written in 2002 so there are one or two things that have changed (e.g. CATAGORY was fixed) but it's a very helpful tutorial nevertheless.

pecenipicek:
gotta love the sheer amount of banter that occured in the Q&A section :p

The E:

--- Quote from: Goober5000 on September 06, 2011, 07:14:41 pm ---SEXPs have the twin advantages that a) new ones can be added easily; b) adding SEXPs doesn't necessarily require one to be familiar with the rest of the code.  So they're almost the ideal place for newbies to start. :)

Daveb's article on the subject is handy for reference.  It was written in 2002 so there are one or two things that have changed (e.g. CATAGORY was fixed) but it's a very helpful tutorial nevertheless.

--- End quote ---

:nono:

There's also this guide written by yours truly which is more up to date.

Goober5000:
Aha!  Even better.

EDIT: It looks like the two guides are somewhat different, so it would be best to read both, and then choose The E's guide if there's a conflict between them.

EDIT2: grammar

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version