Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > FS2 Open Coding - The Source Code Project (SCP)

Feature End-Of-Life Cycle

<< < (2/2)

EatThePath:
As a modder I would be okay with this so long as a very clear, prominent, and explicit changelog with transition instructions was provided. For instance if autopilot was removed with the intention that it be replaced with a script, ideally I'd have that change happen hand in hand with making available the script that replaces it. Maybe not a drop-in replacement but at the very least the skeleton of it. Or if a table value is redefined in a new way (spawn weapon configuration I'm looking at you), instructions for how to produce equivalent effects in the new system.

With the way that people mod there would probably have to be a list of those for current nightlies rather than waiting for a stable to be built.

Nightmare:

--- Quote from: EatThePath on August 16, 2021, 06:43:20 pm ---As a modder I would be okay with this so long as a very clear, prominent, and explicit changelog with transition instructions was provided.

With the way that people mod there would probably have to be a list of those for current nightlies rather than waiting for a stable to be built.

--- End quote ---
Sounds pretty good to me. I guess there's no point in maintaining dead-ends; but I think it'd be useful to know what is being removed, ideally before a final decision is made.

For documentation there'd be a single pinned post/wiki article so you could just scroll to the version where xyz was removed.

--- Quote --- For instance if autopilot was removed with the intention that it be replaced with a script, ideally I'd have that change happen hand in hand with making available the script that replaces it. Maybe not a drop-in replacement but at the very least the skeleton of it. Or if a table value is redefined in a new way (spawn weapon configuration I'm looking at you), instructions for how to produce equivalent effects in the new system.
--- End quote ---

While that would be the best solution idk how realistic that is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version