Author Topic: Updating R1  (Read 47135 times)

@CaptJosh, I would get the "FlashGot" plugin for Firefox, which allows you to use 3rd party download apps w/ Firefox.  You can configure it to allow the normal Firefox download as well.  The reason is that usually you get better speeds (sometimes even double!) using multiple segments during downloads, and the standard browser downloaders don't do that.

I am also using it, DAP integration to Firefox is really bad compared to the IE integration, is a real pain...

I'm using v.6 on XP, Service Pack 2 right now at work. Just tried: http://www.fileh.com/Shadow00000/INF_3PatchUpdate1.zip
and got "Page not found"

http://www.fileh.com/Shadow00000/INF_3PatchUpdate2.zip

Same result! "Cannot find server."

Not seeing any other issues dl-ing here or at home with Win98SE. It's very frustrating finding that these two links (only) don't work for me in two different locations on different machines and different OS. Very weird.

But will try Firefox just for the heck of it.

WTF...I deserve the Big-O, my mistake, I barely noticed this in your first post, now it's confirmed, some instructions to all the people:

1 - You don't need to install those Updates, I deleted from FileH, because they are already included in what wrongly I named a "Final Release", so those updates where for my first version of the patch...

2 - Everything needed is in the 1st post of this Thread, if I upload something, I'll always give the notice with a "new post" but I'll also add it to the 1st post

3 - Except for the 1st post, anything that is available for download can mean 2 things:

A - Already Implemented (is obsolete)
B - Experimental (just for testing, will also become obsolete in the future)

Now someone may ask why I didn't remove the links, well actually I was never supposed to delete from FileH, as if I'll later accidentaly submit a bug I could check where was it much faster than looking in all the whole pack, but I forget.

So always check the 1st post, and reading it feel sure you have everything, I am not the kind of person who likes to make people go page by page in threads with 200 pages just to see if there are downloads...some people does...however I make this because by now many people may have noticed that my post seems to have the lenght of a novel's page and I don't want to bore anyone (like with the SubSpace Rift theory which has nothing to do with my update)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that FileH is down momentarily, I hope is back online soon...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I doubt I would notice any particular improvement with 7 megabit dsl.
...Wanna bet?  ;7  It can sometimes double the speed of the cable modem I use at the squad here.  Couldn't hurt to try, right?  :nod:

56k user ask : " :confused: what's DSL ? :confused: " (just kidding...)

Offline CaptJosh

A cable modem on what provider? If it's Charter cable, the best you have is 3 megabit down, 384 kilobit up. I know. I used to work tech support for Charter Pipeline.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Eugene

Shadow0000, you have solved the problem in a flash! Thanks for clearing it up - and very good news that all necessary updates are included at the top of the thread.

Small suggestion - would it make sense to delete or edit out those two outdated posts for these old updates?

Thanks again,

Eugene

A cable modem on what provider? If it's Charter cable, the best you have is 3 megabit down, 384 kilobit up. I know. I used to work tech support for Charter Pipeline.

What about newer ADSL2+ ?, they say it can deliver up to 24 Mbit/s, but as always it depends on distance...(I don't know where this service is available)

Small suggestion - would it make sense to delete or edit out those two outdated posts for these old updates?

Sorry for the confusion, I'll delete the links...

--------------------------------------------------

FileH doesn't work, and I can't do anything about it unless someone know a free file web hosting that lets you upload 100 MB if possible....
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 12:01:30 am by Shadow0000 »

Offline neoterran

America has crappy High speed interent... most places have only 3 Megabit down connections... some places 6.... 24 or  100 Megabits haven't rolled out to homes yet... we ain't japan...
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

24 or  100 Megabits haven't rolled out to homes yet... we ain't japan...

Don't worry ain't too, that's for sure (Improving service to make it worse than DSL, ta-da = ADSL  :lol: )

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
FileH doesn't work, and I can't do anything about it unless someone know a free file web hosting that lets you upload 100 MB if possible....
http://www.filefront.com/
Help any?

I have registered there about an hour ago to upload the fixed tables for Sol: A History, thanks anyways is just what I was looking for...

Even so, I won't upload the files soon, be patient...

Offline CaptJosh

FileH appears to be down for the count. Has the final Inferno R1 update been uploaded elsewhere?
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

No, it wasn't upload, I was going to, but with the release of the Media VP 3.6.8 Zeta I need to update to make sure everything is ok, but most important, with the release of SCP build v3.6.9 RC 2 it seems that now the Alpha channel is really detected, so I need to fix effects/maps transparency (remember the invisible nebulae problem, I am refering to that).

When I feel like, then I'll update it, fix everything, and upload it...

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Wow, I was ready to cry when the links didn't work, when I saw your last post. So, I could at least try this update version of Inferno :D

Same!  It just looks so neat, and making S:aH pretty is a wonderful thing to be doing. :)

Wow, I was ready to cry when the links didn't work, when I saw your last post. So, I could at least try this update version of Inferno Big grin

Yes, I imagined some people would happen to see that the links didn't work and end in a similar situation like Eugene, the true is that I left the links in the 1st page because I was hoping that FileH would come back, of course the chances aren't much less than winning the lottery.

Same!  It just looks so neat, and making S:aH pretty is a wonderful thing to be doing.

I have been really inactive on this since my last post, but now that there are plenty of new builds and features I maybe feel motivated to experiment.

with the release of the Media VP 3.6.8 Zeta I need to update to make sure everything is ok, but most important, with the release of SCP build v3.6.9 RC 2 it seems that now the Alpha channel is really detected, so I need to fix effects/maps transparency (remember the invisible nebulae problem, I am refering to that).

Since it's been time since I  downloaded the Zeta VPs, I noticed the following changes related to performance:

I have already modify *.TGAs to 24-Bit, and use RLE Compression, RLE compression basically makes the size of the image smaller without losing quality (8-Bit PCXs were already using RLE Compression).
I have trown the *.TGA maps used for the shockwaves, and maked DXT1c with the "-quality_highest" this resulted in more quality and better performance than the previous DDS (Using NVDXT 8.22, the last I believe, I download it recently but there is no version in the installer, neither in Nvidia website).

It's really hard to tell if to use DXT1, DXT3 or DXT5. For example the DXT1 doesn't support Alpha Channels, this is a requeriment for -shine maps. However as an example the Crossbow (Harpoon) texture results pretty distorted with DXT1, it seems DXT3 is used in the Zeta VP, I make the same for the Arrow and Trident (**).

(**) Before someone points it, the EA's Trident missile uses the model as the GTVA's Arrow, the Crossbow model (Harpoon), since the EA's is sequel to FS1 and has not any reference at all to FS2, it should be using the model of the Interceptor, it was using it originally in INF, but at the time I changed it I didn't notice. And because there isn't a high-poly Interceptor I choose to use the Crossbow with the different textures.

There are other changes, and bugs introduced with the Zeta VPs, mainly graphical, is the addition of the Yellow Bitmap for the Flaks. I have seen the Thruster Glows were removed, this maybe due to prevent those bitmap collisions, anyways the 2D glows will still be in there, I won't remove them, I have seen games like PainKiller which uses 2D glows for the main weapon, and as you start rotating, the bitmap rotates to face the player, and it just has the same problem, maybe if it were some kind of 3D artifact that wouldn't happen.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 12:06:30 am by Shadow0000 »

Offline neoterran

almost a year later, any chance you 'll return to this work, shadow0000 ? It all needs to be redone :D
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"