Author Topic: Bethesda Softworks vs. Notch  (Read 7698 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Bethesda Softworks vs. Notch
i dont think a bunch of minecrafters would stand a chance against your more traditional fps players. i mean there is a reason these people play minecraft, they get pewned at dm too easily.

You are talking to a former CounterStrike clanner here, and if I had a better net connection I would still be playing
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com

*This* is what Bethesda legal should be going after, not the Minecraft developer...
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
i dont think a bunch of minecrafters would stand a chance against your more traditional fps players. i mean there is a reason these people play minecraft, they get pewned at dm too easily.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
"No"

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
YAYYYYY

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I'm not sure that's good news. Too early to tell. Like someone says in the commentary section at Tom's Hardware:

Quoting jacobdrj
I'm really sorry, but I think this is a rare case where Bethesda had a point. Any time someone said 'Scrolls' I thought they were just people referring to Elder Scrolls in short-hand. I have never played Elder Scrolls, nor do I plan to. But I would never have even looked at this game because I immediately assumed it was 'another Elders Scrolls game.

I also thought Minecraft had something to do with Blizzard, because they have a tendency to add '-craft' to the suffix of their Strategy games... Star-Craft, War-Craft, Mine-Craft...

IMHO, the creator of the Minecraft/Scrolls games is strategically using recognizable pieces of other people's IP in a confusing way.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Ahahahaha, the person says they were confused by "Scrolls", and they were also confused by "Minecraft"... all that shows is that the person in question is easily confused.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
He has a point about Minecraft.  When I first heard the name, I thought it had something to do with Blizzard, as well.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I didn't

Then again I had picture representation to go with it
"No"

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Of all the -craft names, I didn't think Blizzard would be one to develop a game called "Minecraft" when all their other -craft names seem to derive from what may sound a little more "epic" to some (or at least, have more of an awe-inspiring connotation).

That said, my first thought when I heard the name and knew absolutely nothing of the game was "what's so epic about a mine?"
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Think of mine as in Mines of Moria... epic enough for you?

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Bethseda are a bunch of morons.  Confusion? Only morons get confused because of stuff like.. You can't copyright a verb dammit!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
It's not confusion as in costumers confusing products with each other. It's confusion as in willfully using a popular brand image of another company to indirectly advertise their own products.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
To be honest, I cannot see the connection, but that doesn't neccesarily mean that Bethesda were wrong to challenge the usage. The problem is that Legal Departments, and particuarly Lawyers that are bought in on a per-case basis, are interest in generating income, whether that be through payouts or court-fees.

When Mojang offered to surrender up the copyright, that should have been it, all that really should have been required between parties was an understanding that the two products were not linked intentionally or unintentionally.

I remember there was a gane called 'Pirates of The Caribbean', which was nothing whatsoever to do with the film and was, in fact, a re-release of an earlier game called 'Sea Dogs 2' that had been re-packaged to cash in on the Film market. That was actually authorised by Universal iirc, but it's that sort of thing that I would call unacceptable use of a name.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
I thought modern warfare 3 was trying to latch onto fable's IP because they put an f in the title
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
willfully using a popular brand image of another company to indirectly advertise their own products.

Do not presume to understand their motives.

And since you like taking issue with such innocuous things, here's something for you to get offended by:

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Because we all know Blizzard sells trailers... There's a vacuum cleaner with the name Freespace too, but that's besides the point; Mojang and Bethesda are in the same business, therefore it's an entirely different matter.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
They should just pass a law stating that this kind of over-aggressive protectiveness of your trademark can result in you losing it entirely.

If your product is better known by a common word than the actual name of the game there is no need for you to have a trademark on the real name. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It's not confusion as in costumers confusing products with each other. It's confusion as in willfully using a popular brand image of another company to indirectly advertise their own products.

I really don't care. You can't copyright a verb PERIOD.
It's getting redicolous in the case of Elder Scrolls, as apprently no game should use the words "elder" or "scrolls"?

Givne the number of games out there, at this rate will be running out of words realy fast.
I cna certanly understand pople trying to protect their intelectual property, but INDIVIDUAL WORDS are not it.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
The only point Bethesda has here, is that if Notch got the scrolls trademark under the terms he submitted, he could then bring legal pressure to Bethesda.

That being said, the fact that this is even a concern really shines a draconian light on the handling of trademark/copyright/patent systems, worldwide.