Author Topic: engine file type update  (Read 1258 times)

Offline LoneFan

engine file type update
I pose a question about the .pof file type still used in the freespace open engine.

Is it possible to update the engine to except other open source 3d file types such as .blend? There is a shortage available options when converting your file type from .whatever to .pof. Perhaps we're looking at the problem backwards and it is time to update the engine to a more modern standard, or is the engine just showing its age.

Offline m!m

Re: engine file type update
There have been a few projects which tried to add support for a new model format but none were finished.

In any case, .blend is not a good final format for FSO since it is not designed for that use case since it is more of a model exchange format. .dae has been discussed many times (and PCS2 has support for that) but even that format is not ideal for FSO. I looked at glTF 2.0 and that looks pretty promising but the biggest problem here is that the collision information required by FSO would first need to be computed which would increase load times significantly.

However, you can use Blender to export a DAE file and then use PCS2 to convert it to POF.

Offline LoneFan

Thank you for the help.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Collision info cache files? 

Offline m!m

Index buffer cache files were a problem for as long as they were used so I guess that the same would happen if the collision information would be cached in a similar way. The collision data is something that belongs to the model file so I would like to find a solution which includes that data inside the model file.

Is that the reason why my cache folder is being spammed with hundreds of ogl_shader files?

Offline m!m

:wtf: Those are there to reduce stuttering and have absolutely nothing to do with model files.

:wtf: Those are there to reduce stuttering and have absolutely nothing to do with model files.

Ah OK I was wondering where they always come from.