Author Topic: Lizard, you ineffable asshole. (M5 spoilers)  (Read 7284 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Lizard, you ineffable asshole. (M5 spoilers)
Spoiler:
Weren't the Cylons in the 70's BSG fiction both the robots and a race of lizard (sic!) people how made them?

EDIT: future Lizard-cameo may happen
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:14:05 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Spoiler:
Weren't the Cylons in the 70's BSG fiction both the robots and a race of lizard (sic!) people how made them?

Spoiler:
  Original Cylons were a insectoid race, created the Cylons and iirc, got wiped out by them. While the books tell, that the Cylons (insectoids) were using the Robots as a sort of intelligent Exoskeleton ( for the higher Cylons) and as disposable warriors ( like the Cylons in nBSG) and during the early stages of the 1000 Yahren war with the colonials and then got wiped out as the robots - becoming more and more sentient - felt that having some squishy parts with brains inside them, controlling their every move is a unbearable condition. 

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Memes aside, I doubt any of the pilots are/were Cylons.  M3 would of played out too differently if that was the case.
Consider how many important characters turned out to be Cylons in the show, ones that could've blown the Galactica up multiple times if they wanted to.

Spoiler tags are impossible to read on a frakkin iPad. Curse you all.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
We kept it kinda vague on purpose, but unofficially (as the person who wrote M3 and the sabotage plotline :p ) it's a Simon who was aboard as a medic who was the one who planted the bomb.

As for Cylon infiltrators. There's a point of diminishing returns when there's only 12 models. There's also the fact that Cavil and his agents intentionally kept ships and places with the Five around (putting the beacon on Galactica, etc.). He wanted them do die of course, but slightly after everyone else.

Personally Galactica Cavil I think was part of a small faction of "frak the other Ones, kill them now I want to be away from the humans!" when "The Plan" was to allow a few survivors to be around the Five, show society disintegrate, then kill the humans, and finally welcome them back "See? Humans were bad!"

Then again, there's a lot of the post season 3 overall story and mythology that just doesn't work on inspection which is why we're sticking to things that feel more like the first two seasons.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

We kept it kinda vague on purpose, but unofficially (as the person who wrote M3 and the sabotage plotline :p ) it's a Simon who was aboard as a medic who was the one who planted the bomb.

Question: How did the crew find out he was a Cylon, and not just a human turncoat? The best thing I can think of is that it happened the same way as in "Razor," and there were one or more Simons (or whichever model) in the boarding parties on the Heavy Raiders, but I'm assuming that if you aren't a distractible flailing idiot like me, it's possible to make it through the mission without the ship being boarded, which rules that out. And no mention is made of the gas giant's electronic interference being particularly bad for Cylons, like Ragnar's, so they didn't figure it out the way Adama did.

And, getting a bit further afield, I don't think the cylon transponders were intended for ships that were supposed to slip past, but were just to announce the presence of a Cylon agent. Galactica only made it though the miniseries because Tyrol's deck crew went above and beyond in restoring the museum ships, and Starbuck got in a fight with Tigh so she was in the brig rather than with the rest of the good pilots in the main squadron that got wiped out in the Mark VIIs. If Galactica hadn't had those antique fighters ready to go, or if they were all being piloted by bench-warmers, two raiders with nukes would've been more than enough to take down the ship.

Of course, figuring out why Doral or Boomer or whoever stuck the thing right in the middle of the DRADIS console in the CIC rather than hide it in a less conspicuous location, like literally any other place on the ship, is beyond even my considerable skill at fanwankery.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:50:20 pm by David cgc »

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Basically it came down to:

"This person planted a big bomb, blew himself up, and contacted the Cylons!"

Since there's been no contact for the Cylons for 40 years... something is up.

In M4 there's speculation if you stay around and wait for the CAP to launch. The Theseus crew thinks that they are humans captured with Cylon brains put into them. They don't really know that they're skinjobs or that there are limited models.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

That still seems like an awfully big leap to get to "The Cylons look like us now." It's hard for me to believe that it's totally unheard of for the Cylons to have a human patsy (aside from Baltar). Even Helo briefly entertained the notion that a pair of identical twin sisters both sold out humanity before deciding that clones made more sense.

I'll just assume the Cylon gave a Leoban-style "reason you suck speech" when he was cornered. I mean, why not admit it? They were winning.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
We kept it a bit vague on purpose for that reason, but such a speech probably occurred right before the bomb went off.

Now if the original cast wanted to lend their voices we could add that to an R1 patch ;)
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Hey, filter the radio enough, you can make Gilbert Gottfried pass for Adama. :p

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Spoiler tags are impossible to read on a frakkin iPad. Curse you all.

hold-press over spoiler tag, then in popup menu, press "Select", then drag selection over spoiler?