Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 269245 times)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Re: New MechWarrior Game?
Video Warhammer is Reseen. :(

Er, no.

The one in the video is Unseen -- maybe a little redesigned in the same vein as the Jenner (which actually seems to have received a more drastic makeover IMO) or, say, the visual changes that happened to the Loki and Thor from game to game (compare MechCommander to MW3 to MW4). But it's still recognizably the Unseen Warhammer at its core.

The main reason I say this is because the cockpit juts out the front, old-school style, and is square rather than triangular. And the torso guns are in their recessed waistline spots rather than being the Reseen's armpit guns.

Where did see the Rifleman being confirmed? There's only 3 mechs in the trailer.

Weisman mentioned it in the IGN interview.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 02:51:31 pm by Mad Bomber »
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
 :eek2:

Oh man, I was never so thrilled after a game announcement. I've waited and hoped so long for a new mechwarrior game, with great graphic (IMO MW3 looked much more realistic than the comicstyle in MW4).

But the video seen cannot be the real ingame graphic, it would kill any PC (just take a look of the smashed building structure ). But if the graphic will only be half as good it will be ****ING AWESOME  :D

It's a little sad that I will not seen my favourite clan mechs (since I like their shape and asthetic so much, especially Timber Wolf and Daishi)
But actually, I think the timeline is really perfect, since it has that nostalgic flare of good old battlemechs that I know from the books.

Now I just hope they correct the autocannon back to the way it was in MW3 (and the books), where the canon always fires a salvo and not just a single shot like in MW4

For this game, I would even buy a new PC :)   'nough said, now I go back and watch that trailer over and over again
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It's a little sad that I will not seen my favourite clan mechs (since I like their shape and asthetic so much, especially Timber Wolf and Daishi)
I'm not alone! :D

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
You were never. MW-Fans are all a big family :)

Just watched the video a few time in full screen, though only the 320x variant, and there is still so much detail. Now I could also see there is standing "ingame footage"  :eek2:  If there is really that much detail, let's hope the area can be walked for free, and that it won't become one of the silly console shooters agains.

Everytime I watch it, I see another small amazing detail, some already pointed out in the interview. The airfighters cruising by, the mech details and even the funny hula hula doll shaking in the warhammer cockpit  :lol:

Not to mention that great core breach of the reactor

Only thing that wonders me is the speed of the escape capsule, it's like about 1000 mph (just a estimation from height and speed), no human would survive that I think. But hey, I think I can forgive them :)

(Sorry, I'm just so amazed, I can't hold on to it)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 03:57:51 pm by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline mxlm

That's the worst ejection system of all time.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga

That's the worst ejection system of all time.

Yeah, it's quite stupid. It's supposed to bring you away from the exploding reactor, and that here just shoots you right above it. Happy landing :D (It's a matter of real life logic or ingame coolness. So rather give the player a look on the great explosion than make a logical ejection system that refuse you the view :) )

Btw, here is the download for the highres video for free, so you don't have to become a paying IGN-Member to watch it :D  It comes with 118 MB and can be viewed with the vlc-player. Enjoy (download button under the picture)

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/play/55193/PC/MechWarrior/Trailer/MechWarrior-2009-Debut-Gameplay-Trailer/Flash-Video
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 04:35:59 pm by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Well.. Mechs aren't supposed to blow up in that manner if i recall correctly though it sure looks pretty.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Well.. Mechs aren't supposed to blow up in that manner if i recall correctly though it sure looks pretty.

'Mechs don't normally blow up in that manner unless their engine (read: fusion core) takes a direct hit, resulting from massive internal damage. The result is a mini-nuke explosion that has a handy (usually) side effect of destroying everything in the blast radius.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No, no, that's a myth produced by the videogames (and oddly, I believe, some of the novels.) Fusion reactors really shouldn't go critical like that, and in the board game there's absolutely no way to get a 'mech to do that. If the fusion reactor takes a lot of direct damage, it simply doesn't work any more.

The only way to render a 'Mech totally unsalvageable is to completely destroy all the internals in the center torso with an ammo explosion or artillery saturation attack. And that just represents the fusion engine getting wrecked.

Exactly how Victor Davion managed to get his Wolfhound to blow up in the rift on Twycross is a matter of continued exasperation, but it's possibly just the Victor Effect: fiat fiat fiat!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:57:46 pm by General Battuta »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Bad Battuta. That was Kai Allard-Liao. And it's called the Stackpole maneuver.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oh, hush. One SuperFriend blends into another. It's hard to tell all the outwardly confident sons of nobility with inward concerns about living up to their roles apart.

But to quote one of the current Battletech rules writers regarding the issue of engine explanations (there are rules for them in TacOps):

Quote from: Cray from classicbattletech.com
BT 2nd edition, BT 3rd edition and MaxTech both took pains to say "fusion engines don't explode," which is in good agreement with the real world physics...but then novelists went ahead and made them explode anyway. So, I don't want anyone using engine explosion rules to think the explosions are probable or plausible, or actually involve anything like a real nuclear explosion.

My write-up in Tech Manual is a detailed, convenient way of getting the point across, and I'd like to think it carries the torch for all the other rule books and BT fluff that "fusion engines don't explode", too.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
No, no, that's a myth produced by the videogames (and oddly, I believe, some of the novels.) Fusion reactors really shouldn't go critical like that, and in the board game there's absolutely no way to get a 'mech to do that. If the fusion reactor takes a lot of direct damage, it simply doesn't work any more.

The only way to render a 'Mech totally unsalvageable is to completely destroy all the internals in the center torso with an ammo explosion or artillery saturation attack. And that just represents the fusion engine getting wrecked.

Exactly how Victor Davion managed to get his Wolfhound to blow up in the rift on Twycross is a matter of continued exasperation, but it's possibly just the Victor Effect: fiat fiat fiat!

I assume you have never heard of a Stackpole?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yes, yes, I know all about the Stackpole.

Same way a VicStar can be taken down by a bunch of snubfighters with proton torpedoes. That was a sad, sad day.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
That was Kai, it was a Hachetman, and he apparently rigged it to explode in a way it was never intended to work.

He also probably should have been charged with violation of the Ares Conventions, except the Clans aren't a signatory.

Which in turn leaves one wondering how close someone was to pushing the button during the Clan Invasion since we know the Successor States have stockpiles of WMDs.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 08:08:25 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I refer you to my earlier comment about Superfriends.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Same way a VicStar can be taken down by a bunch of snubfighters with proton torpedoes. That was a sad, sad day.

That, at least, is theoretically plausible in the paper-thin excuse for physics in Star Wars.  Just because Stackpole wrote it doesn't mean that it goes against canon  :lol:.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

That, at least, is theoretically plausible in the paper-thin excuse for physics in Star Wars.  Just because Stackpole wrote it doesn't mean that it goes against canon  :lol:.

Surprisingly enough, the X-Wing games suggest it's reasonable.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Speaking of which, Battuta, have you actually read the novel the "sad day" takes place in? [/genuinely curious]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, I read 'The Bacta War'. It was pretty good all in all, though Isard really sputtered out as a villain.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
You need to read Isard's Revenge then. ;)

It's after the Wraith Squadron bit Allston subs for Stackpole on.