Poll

The TSJ Icanus, the Terran Superjuggernaut. Am I the only one who thinks that having the Earth Alliance build a ridiculously big superjuggernaut is unrealistic? What do you think?

The Icanus rocks, it shouldn't be touched at all.
9 (52.9%)
Keep it the same, but make the Punisher a bit weaker, so the Gigas has a chance of winning.
2 (11.8%)
Tone it down, make it a little smaller , give it a few less hitpoints and make the armament a little less powerful.
1 (5.9%)
Make the Punisher's damage a little less insane and make the Icanus smaller, less protected and armed.
1 (5.9%)
Get rid of it and make up a better way to kill the Gigas.
3 (17.6%)
Keep it the same, but make it only 50% operational by the time the Gigas arrives.
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: November 06, 2006, 12:14:09 pm

Author Topic: Icanus  (Read 49794 times)

Yep.

Punisher cannon: most powerful weapon devised by humanity to date. Able to do incredible damage to entire landmasses through repeated orbital bombardment. Also can be used against super-juggernaut level ships. (Bit of overkill for anything lower... hell, it's a bit of an overkill even against the Gigas!  :p)

Which sparks a question in my mind, Woo: how well does the Vidyadhar stand up to the Icanus?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Is the Punisher even Inferno-canon? I mean, considering it's from an unofficial - albeit very well written - fanfic...?

I believe it is referred to in the techroom entry....
*goes back one page and checks his screenshot*

Hmm... no it's not. Odd, I thought it was... ah well. "Punisher" is just a name for the cannon (I think it was called the Aurora Beam originally, judging by the sound files in the VP), the cannon itself is... er, canon. :lol:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Well of course the cannon itself is inferno-canon, i'm just wondering whether it's a bit presumptuous to start calling it the 'Punisher' when it may not in fact be canon, as it doesn't seem to be.

Offline Darius

The Punisher is Woo's name, if I remember correctly.

The Punisher cannon was designed first and was originally designed for planetary defense and was before the formation of the EA. (Punisher is the Icanus super beam weapon)

Also apparently the EA is not a dictatorship, but a militarised form of the GTA. So it's possibly not the "evil empire" which GTVA war propagandists are trying to portray to the masses back home.  :)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The Punisher is Woo's name, if I remember correctly.

The Punisher cannon was designed first and was originally designed for planetary defense and was before the formation of the EA. (Punisher is the Icanus super beam weapon)

Also apparently the EA is not a dictatorship, but a militarised form of the GTA. So it's possibly not the "evil empire" which GTVA war propagandists are trying to portray to the masses back home.  :)
Albiet bearing in mind the GTA was rather militarised in it's own right
From FS Ref bible
The Galactic Terran Alliance was formed many years before FreeSpace begins.  It’s largely a defense and research organization, and has few domestic influences, focusing it’s attention on matters in outer space, and the exploration thereof.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Is the Punisher even Inferno-canon? I mean, considering it's from an unofficial - albeit very well written - fanfic...?
It's INF SCP anon, but R1 though.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The "huge cylinder part" is in fact one beam, KappaW. :D

I like the beams where they are. Gives the Icanus more all-around beam coverage.
If I had designed the Icanus the Punisher would have gone on top... *shrugs*

That doesn't matter, it's got railguns everywhere. I think its armed well enough in my opinion.

I like the Punisher where it is. Putting it on top would look ugly, try imagining it (or looking at the attached)

[attachment deleted by admin]

:lol:

On second thought, that does look really bad.

Course, I wouldn't have made it look like that. More like the Punisher stuck inside the Icanus, with the actual photon emitter (the Punisher is still a photon beam cannon, albeit a very powerful one, right?) Sticking out just above the top of the Icanus... pointing forward, obviously.

Sorry, it's really hard to convey thispicture in words... :doubt:

whoa, another way to make the Icanus look bad.... :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Darius

Something like this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Meh, just a TCS Behemoth wannabe now, I prefer super jug, With supergun just bolted to the side.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Darius

:nod:

The Icanus "nothing but an engine and giant battery for a super cannon" version does make it a little bit different from the Sajuuks, Behemoths, VPKs etc. out there.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The TCS Behemoth is just a mobile gun with a bridge blu-tac'd to it, The icanus is an actual ship IMO with a super gun bolted to the side, which i think is more plausible  :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Well, I had never heard of this "Behemoth" you speak of, but, yeah, that was about what I was picturing.

With the gun on top like that though I don't think it looks muck like a "gun with engines". It would if the gun was on the front (like StrattComm's Archangel-class), but not on the top, IMO.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It looks fine as it is, in fact, I think I just fell in love with it because of all these disgusting ideas. ;)

Anyone ever think of a Beam Chain-Cannon? Just set the turrets that it cycles through around the Icanus, kinda like spreading out the gun on the side, and wrapping it around the Icanus....

NOW THAT'S FIREPOWER!!!

:jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw:  :jaw: 

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

You mean a Gatling-Beam Cannon?

:wakka:

Talk to Nuke about that, it'd be a dream come true to him.  :lol:

and mine too......

y'know, my favorite weapon in Halo: Combat Evolved was the Warthog Gatling Gun....

:D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 06:36:09 pm by spartan_0214 »

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
The closest I can think of is the Gatling Laser found in this old EA game called Future Cop.

It's the only game I had which was both PC and Mac compatible. Now where did I put it...

I still like the Punisher as a single-shot weapon with HUGE power. Anime influence ftw... the biggest problem is if you size the beam radius so that it's around 1.5x the Punisher's size, you really need to distance yourself... and it might get tricky to do so if you didn't table the beam fadeout properly... :shaking:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."