Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597622 times)

Offline CT27

Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
Part of the reason I wanted to try this out during free play week was to find out "just how bad could it be?"

And boy... if that's what they have to show for $117 million... wow.

I really just don't know what to say. It's been 4 years since they started, they're using a mature game engine. How could it go so wrong? You can clip through airlock doors (and a multitude of everything else) so easily, the lod pop in is crazy, objects very noticeably load from behind a door after the door swings open. How could this get past any game producer/programmer/play tester and not go "this is seriously wrong, we need to find a better way".

And this doesn't even get into the nauseating flight controls for space flight. Or how the FPS camera is locked to the head model. Or the surprisingly small interior of this huge station. Or or... Man, I don't even know. I'm so glad I resisted the urge the pledge. But even if I had, I wouldn't bother trying to get my money back.

Spoon: Stop being so mad, its worrying. :(

They got $117 million for this?

That led me to a thought:  Can you imagine the kind of game we would have got if Volition was given that kind of budget and told to make FS3?

Offline Lorric

Not sure if serious, but I feel the same. Genuine worry. He's like a different person and I don't like it...

Spoon, what's set you off like this? You've been a minor player in this thread until now.

You've turned into a goon. But maybe you already were one to begin with, I don't know. Maybe you're just impersonating one for your amusement.

Part of the reason I wanted to try this out during free play week was to find out "just how bad could it be?"

And boy... if that's what they have to show for $117 million... wow.

I really just don't know what to say. It's been 4 years since they started, they're using a mature game engine. How could it go so wrong? You can clip through airlock doors (and a multitude of everything else) so easily, the lod pop in is crazy, objects very noticeably load from behind a door after the door swings open. How could this get past any game producer/programmer/play tester and not go "this is seriously wrong, we need to find a better way".

And this doesn't even get into the nauseating flight controls for space flight. Or how the FPS camera is locked to the head model. Or the surprisingly small interior of this huge station. Or or... Man, I don't even know. I'm so glad I resisted the urge the pledge. But even if I had, I wouldn't bother trying to get my money back.

They got $117 million for this?

That led me to a thought:  Can you imagine the kind of game we would have got if Volition was given that kind of budget and told to make FS3?
You're not the first. :)

When there's nothing good to be said, that's the time to take a leave... I mean, pokemon go is out, right?
Unfortunately a lot of people around here don't work that way and choose to be that way. Hard Light is not a nice or friendly place. I've given up trying to change that. The people with the power and influence like the culture just the way it is. They made it that way and want it to stay that way. Hell, if the new Spoon is here to stay, he'll honestly fit in better.

Offline Luis Dias

I think venting some frustration about the most important kickstarter of the decade, the one who even dealt with the big possibility of a rennaissance of space sim games, the game development that may by itself destroy a big chunck of confidence throughout the game industry and kickstarter methods, the one game that could have been crazy good yet simple and manageable.

I think venting frustration at that is not unhealthy. It's good. Vent. All of this should be shouted in all the internets. Imperium should be shamed to the bitter end about this debácle, and everyone should hear all the frustration until no one, no one at all, can even think of repeating this nonsense.

Until Star Citizen, we had Duke Nukem Forever to laugh at, to point at as the big No No in game development hell. Now we have a new standard: the pace of Duke Nukem Forever, all its troubles, plus a con game where all your development money is coming from your "future" consumers, spending up to tens of thousands of dollars. All of this is just insane. So now it's not only something worth laughing about, it's something worthy of getting the feds into this con game.

If Duke Nukem Forever was the Mormonism of religions, Star Citizen goes one step forward and it becomes Scientology.

It should be shamed into oblivion. This, contrary to some optimists here, cannot and should not succeed. It deserves total backlash and total condemnation. The corruption, the nepotism, all the signs of fraud, and so, so many people giving money for their "dreams". It's disgusting. Someone nuke it from orbit.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Grrr, star citizen makes me so mad. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat, screaming for Derek Smart to save me.

Spoiler:
Luis Dias makes a good post.
No Lorric, I am not actually mad, I am just making fun of Starcitizen in a goon like manner. Which I am not, but I think the gooncitizens are amusing as ****, I am just a sad wannabe.

P.S. Starcitizen is actually legitely really bad.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Kszyhu

Spoon, Goon... coincidence? I think not!
Spoiler:
Yeah, I have read the spoiler above.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Now that you have discovered my secret, I cannot let you live.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

This, contrary to some optimists here, cannot and should not succeed.
Wait a minute. Are you actually saying you want Star Citizen to fail? Why? If it eventually gets out of the door and is good, a lot of people will be very happy and we have a good game. Even if it's bad, if it's in any way moddable, that community will probably make it good.

I don't see any upside to it failing. Or at least anything to offset the far greater downside.

@ Spoon - Thanks. :)

Spoon, Goon... coincidence? I think not!
Spoiler:
Yeah, I have read the spoiler above.
Oh, I thought about doing something with that in my earlier post too. :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Urutorahappī!!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Oh hell you just said his name three times.  Hi Derek!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Wait a minute. Are you actually saying you want Star Citizen to fail? Why? If it eventually gets out of the door and is good, a lot of people will be very happy and we have a good game. Even if it's bad, if it's in any way moddable, that community will probably make it good.

I don't see any upside to it failing. Or at least anything to offset the far greater downside.

It won't be. Any of that. Out the door. Never happen. Good. Deeply unlikely. People happy. We passed the chance for that awhile ago. Good game. Again not happening. Bad. There probably isn't going to be a game. Moddable: unlikely. Community: the community has been reduced to the elements most sycophantic and least able to exercise critical thinking skills. The community making it good: the community has been reduced to the people least likely to be interested in making the game better because of their psychological investment in the base game being good and actively selects against people with any kind of game development experience even as modders.

This is a game that deserves to fail if any game ever has. It has alienated its fans not put in the effort to succeed, behaved in a predatory fashion towards its users, acted the fool in public, engaged in ridiculous stretches of goal and scope without any clear idea what it was doing, and abandoned being the thing the majority of its users pledged for.

It should suffer severe consequences, as a warning to the next ten generations that some behaviors come with too high a price.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline CT27

I don't know if I'll ever play SC, but I may try SQ42.  If it's just a simple WC/FS/Starlancer  type of game I'll be happy.

If you don't like it why not just get your money back and walk away?

it's not like CIG are illegally refusing to give refunds or anything, after all

The hot news item this week is that they gave one guy a refund, so... Place your requests, make it quick?

I don't know if I'll ever play SC, but I may try SQ42.  If it's just a simple WC/FS/Starlancer  type of game I'll be happy.

Yup, me too! Though I'll probably sample house of the dying sun first.

(And will probably enjoy it to a similiar degree despite that thing costing a whole lot less to develop  :blah:)

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

NGTM, I read your argument and be all like "But but but I said that first!?!1?!", and at the same time go all like "but he wrote it so much bettah...."  :(

The hot news item this week is that they gave one guy a refund, so... Place your requests, make it quick?

I... ahhh... what. No... wait. Processing.... what. That was your take away....? No.... wait. Brain malfunction. Reboot. Reset. Clean visual data. Press "post" and leave thread immediately to save sanity check self-diagnosis.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:27:25 am by Luis Dias »

NGTM, I read your argument and be all like "But but but I said that first!?!1?!", and at the same time go all like "but he wrote it so much bettah...."  :(

I... ahhh... what. No... wait. Processing.... what. That was your take away....? No.... wait. Brain malfunction. Reboot. Reset. Clean visual data. Press "post" and leave thread immediately to save sanity check self-diagnosis.

What, you don't think this will end in a ****storm for CIG?

I mean more then it is now (because right now, although there is a massive ****storm, it seems CIG is not all that much affected by it as they still have money)? Or is the line of thinking that this may set a precedent beyond the realm of possibility so much?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:34:45 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Luis Dias

I think that the last thing a reasonable person may advise others to do is follow the footsteps of that guy, especially if they only invested 24 bucks in the game. And that's the ****ing point why the CIG gave this guy so much crap to begin with. They don't care. "****storm" you say? ****, this was a total advertised warning to anyone who is even considering getting their money back: "unless you get a lawyer and the feds on our ass, and be willing to suffer constant **** from our beloved fans, you won't get your 20 bucks back, you silly".

This **** is still playing into their hands. For anything remotely interesting to occur - by which I can only mean total implosion of the project - a critical mass of bull**** will have to go through all of these silly fanboys' deflector shields until it reaches what passes for their comical brains. And not only it has to reach this terrain, everyone of them have to realise all others are feeling that **** stinking inside their brains as well, which is why totalitarian control of the community and information is so central to these assholes' day to day lives.

"Ah but we are so transparent, we give so much of what we know! We make weekly podcasts!!", yeah. You know who else makes weekly podcasts to their paying fans? Every ****ing church out there.

Offline Kszyhu

CIG won't implode, it will go out with sad 'pfffrt' of a barely inflated fart cushion.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I mean more then it is now (because right now, although there is a massive ****storm, it seems CIG is not all that much affected by it as they still have money)? Or is the line of thinking that this may set a precedent beyond the realm of possibility so much?

If there is a massive ****storm, it's from the SC backers towards this one guy who abandoned his faith in the Church of the Cloud Imperium and the saviour Christ Roberts. As far as the gaming press is concerned, this is a non-story: Most sites have posted a "this just happened" article, but have not followed up with any investigation into CIG or its community (or if they have, they chose not to post it).

And legally speaking, this doesn't set a precedent: Because CIG voluntarily granted the refund despite their terms of service, there is no legal precedent to fall back on; anyone else trying for a refund will have to go through more or less the same process.

The only thing that would cause CIG real trouble at this point would be if a large portion of their current backers who are also active community members decide to try for refunds, but that is not going to happen. I'd wager that most backers are people who put in 30 or 60 bucks, followed the project for a while, and then forgot about it; Unless you're very bored indeed, that sort of money isn't worth chasing CIG for.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
you just don't understand game development

How come no one asked that twat if he was also involved in game development?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]