Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597605 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
It'd have been done like... two minutes earlier, but I had to come up with something suitably clever first.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It'd have been done like... two minutes earlier, but I had to come up with something suitably clever first.

You pretty much aced that part, so it's all good.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yeah I was feeling pretty about it not gonna lie.

Ya had me thinking that Wing Commander 6 was actually coming out :lol:

But nice.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Man, the smackdowns are getting vicious....

[snip]
But Star Citizen is abominably, unplayably broken in its current state. I say all this with certain trepidation, as Cloud Imperium has already had its lawyers threaten The Escapist with legal action after the site published a well-sourced piece on the troubles Star Citizen’s development has faced.

It’s completely possible that someday we’ll see a full, successful release of the game Chris Roberts promised us in 2012. But as of right now, Star Citizen stands as a warning about the inherent dangers of crowdfunding and development creep. Caveat emptor.

Maslo, if this is what CIG thinks is an acceptable product to get new people on board with the game, they're incredibly deluded about the appeal of their art design and the appeal of Christ Roberts as a game designer.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:52:30 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

Isn't it a little non kosher to copypaste entire articles from outside sources?

But yeah, that went as well as it obviously would.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You're probably right. I've snipped it down to the conclusion.

Walking around the hangar in first person feels… really bad. Your character lurches around like slightly damaged zombie, with some of the weirdest, worst head-bobbing I’ve ever felt in a game.

This is, I think, the best part, because it's not because of a bug; this is the intended behaviour. They made walking feel like ****, and they did it deliberately! Even if they do manage to bludgeon their engine into working, the rest of the game is going to end up like this!
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
That article is partially right but there is also some BS. Let me point it out:

1. Once again, bugs are to be expected in a pre-alpha. Period. The game occasionally crashes or behaves weirdly, this is fine as long as it does not happen too often. And it does not. Lots of people regularly enjoy long gaming sessions without problems, including me.

2. Long loading times? Loading times are like the last thing to optimize in a game development, so this is fine. In my experience, SC takes around 4 minutes to load from a HDD, which is considerable, but not really excessive. Also, there is a bug where loading occasionally gets stuck indefinitely, indeed. And for ****s sake, it is 2016, get an SSD if you are bothered by loading times.

3. Sabre entry point: https://imgur.com/a/Vwda6

Removal of the stock Cryengine "USE" thingy is just a matter of time, it was never supposed to stay like that for final game. But with SC being as complex as it is, interaction with usable items is complex, too. So it takes time to do it correctly. There was a video of new interaction system in bugsmashers like two weeks ago, looks good.

"5 years in development" (first line)
"Kickstarter in 2012" (next paragraph)

LOL! It even contradicts itself blatantly.

The objective fact is, Star Citizen is 3.5 years in development. Meaning a period from the beginning of 2013 to July 2016. No more, no less.

I said it before many times and I will say it again, it takes 5 years, so end of 2017 is when we can realistically expect a game as complex as SC to be considered "finished". It probably still wont be, but at least by then criticism of it being late and unpolished will hold a much greater weight.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 05:48:01 am by 666maslo666 »
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline 666maslo666

This is, I think, the best part, because it's not because of a bug; this is the intended behaviour. They made walking feel like ****, and they did it deliberately! Even if they do manage to bludgeon their engine into working, the rest of the game is going to end up like this!

Nope, it is not intended and movement feel refactor is planned.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Nope, it is not intended and movement feel refactor is planned.

For something that isn't intended (and that isn't built-in engine behaviour), they took a very long time to come to the conclusion that making people sick is perhaps not a good idea.

And you're also going up against months and months of SC True Believers like you arguing that headbob Is A Good Thing For Immersion.

1. Once again, bugs are to be expected in a pre-alpha. Period. The game occasionally crashes or behaves weirdly, this is fine as long as it does not happen too often. And it does not. Lots of people regularly enjoy long gaming sessions without problems, including me.

Which appears to be more a matter of luck than anything actually planned. Fact of the matter is, if you put out what is essentially a demo for a wide audience, and it still has gamebreaking bugs and unexplained UI weirdness (has CIG never heard of incrementing progress bars on loadscreens?), then you can't really complain about people thinking your game just might be ****.

That a game has bugs in development is understood. That CIG nonetheless decided that this was good enough to get non-backers to play is incomprehensible.

2. Long loading times? Loading times are like the last thing to optimize in a game development, so this is fine. In my experience, SC takes around 4 minutes to load from a HDD, which is considerable, but not really excessive. Also, there is a bug where loading occasionally gets stuck indefinitely, indeed. And for ****s sake, it is 2016, get an SSD if you are bothered by loading times.

Name any other game that takes as long to load as SC. Load times in excess of 30 seconds are inexcusable; load times of several minutes without giving the user feedback about the game's status is a sign of incompetence.

Is that an ingame guide?

The objective fact is, Star Citizen is 3.5 years in development. Meaning a period from the beginning of 2013 to July 2016. No more, no less.

I said it before many times and I will say it again, it takes 5 years, so end of 2017 is when we can realistically expect a game as complex as SC to be considered "finished". It probably still wont be, but at least by then criticism of it being late and unpolished will hold a much greater weight.

You're still wrong. There's the prototype CryTek built for Christ Roberts, which very definitely counts towards production time.

Offline Luis Dias

Maslo:

1. tell me more about gamedevelopment
2. tell me more about gamedevelopment
3. I'm happy they got rid of CryEngine's stock things. So so happy. It's an amazing feat. Really amazing.

No it doesn't. The Kickstarter didn't "kickstart" the development of the game. According to their kickstarter page, they were working on the game for a year until they presented their case to everyone. That means 2011, we are at 2016, guess what, it's 5 ****ing years.

Gamedevelopment. Absolute bull****. And don't even think of trying to tell me that, even if it started 5 years ago, it started with fewer people, so it was "slow". EVERY AAA title starts with a few core people. They ALL ramp up production while time goes by.

I said it before many times and I will say it again, it takes 5 years, so end of 2017 is when we can realistically expect a game as complex as SC to be realistically considered "finished". It probably still wont be, but at least by then criticism of it being late and unpolished will hold a much greater weight.

If it takes 5 years, it's now. So does that mean we can already start making fun of their development? Ah yes, I think we can. Especially since they never told anyone it would take 5 years. They specifically stated late 2014 as their delivery date and gave themselves 18 months of leeway from that date in their TOS. Those 18 months are up, that's why they changed their TOS.

I'm sorry, you are just blatantly wrong on all of these issues. You can still "dream" that this might still come true, but from what I've seen so far, this is a trainwreck. It can only go downhill towards hilariousland. For your sake, I do hope they can at least deliver some core game that may not be entirely ****. But what it won't do is negate the complete ****show that this production was. And given all the corruption that is happening in that management, I am 100% skeptical they'll be even able to do this.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Offline 666maslo666

For something that isn't intended (and that isn't built-in engine behaviour), they took a very long time to come to the conclusion that making people sick is perhaps not a good idea.

And you're also going up against months and months of SC True Believers like you arguing that headbob Is A Good Thing For Immersion.

Headbob is a good thing for immersion. The problem is with the type of headbob, instead of smooth polished headbob like in most other FPS games, there is also this annoying chicken-like lurch at the beginning and end of movement. That is the issue, specifically, not headbob in general.

Which appears to be more a matter of luck than anything actually planned. Fact of the matter is, if you put out what is essentially a demo for a wide audience, and it still has gamebreaking bugs and unexplained UI weirdness (has CIG never heard of incrementing progress bars on loadscreens?), then you can't really complain about people thinking your game just might be ****.

That a game has bugs in development is understood. That CIG nonetheless decided that this was good enough to get non-backers to play is incomprehensible.

The game is good enough to get some non-backers to play. Others will be deterred by bugs. This is fine. Lots of early access games out there that are much bigger piles of crap than SC is, yet they get away with it due to being early access, and rightly so. The bottom line is, if you want a polished bug free experience, come back in a few years.

Name any other game that takes as long to load as SC. Load times in excess of 30 seconds are inexcusable; load times of several minutes without giving the user feedback about the game's status is a sign of incompetence.

I disagree,  and this post only shows how coddled modern gamers are. Well, if you want to be coddled, come back again in a few years. There are better things to do than worry about load times and progress bars at this point in development.

You're still wrong. There's the prototype CryTek built for Christ Roberts, which very definitely counts towards production time.

That doesnt count, it was done just for a kickstarter presentation video. That is pre-production at best. Production time started when CIG established and contracted out actual studios to work on the game itself. So roughly beginning of 2013.

Offline Luis Dias

That doesnt count, it was done just for a kickstarter presentation video. That is pre-production at best. Production time started when CIG established and contracted out actual studios to work on the game itself. So roughly beginning of 2013.

Pre-production doesn't count? Since when? And why are you ignoring the promised delivery date as stated in the kickstarter and confirmed in the TOS that has been conveniently rewritten?

Offline Kszyhu

Removal of the stock Cryengine "USE" thingy is just a matter of time, it was never supposed to stay like that for final game. But with SC being as complex as it is, interaction with usable items is complex, too. So it takes time to do it correctly. There was a video of new interaction system in bugsmashers like two weeks ago, looks good.

Entry points don't always work, and even if they work, sometimes they aren't in a place where they should be. Still, even if you get in the cockpit of Sabre, its controls don't work half the time.

The kickstarter happened in November 2012, Roberts himself have stated that the game was one year in development beforehand, hence, the game is being made for a bit more than 4.5 years, which you can round up to 5 years. Even if you state that the rounding up is unacceptable a)the game is still in development for 4.5 years, b)it doesn't invalidate his other claims.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I disagree,  and this post only shows how coddled modern gamers are. Well, if you want to be coddled, come back again in a few years. There are better things to do than worry about load times and progress bars at this point in development.

Oh for ****'s sake.

I have been gaming, on one system or another, for close to 30 years now. Load times of several minutes were never acceptable. For the largest time in popular gaming, load times were nonexistant. Do not make the mistake of calling me "coddled" for thinking that a game that wastes my time loading a semi-stable collection of bugs into memory is a piece of **** made by developers of dubious competency.

Preproduction is still production time. Is that too hard to understand for you? Work was done (presumably) to define the scope of the project, models were made, code was written, concepts were .... conceptualized. Development did not start from zero.

Offline 666maslo666

Pre-production doesn't count? Since when? And why are you ignoring the promised delivery date as stated in the kickstarter and confirmed in the TOS that has been conveniently rewritten?

Pre-production does not count towards production time since always. It takes 5 years of actual production to deliver a game as big as SC. Making a kickstarter video and presentation is not making a game. Really, it is a simple concept to grasp.

I am ignoring that delivery date because as I said many times, it takes 5 years. That delivery date was simply wrong. SC will take longer to develop than that, especially with all the features added. Nine pregnant women wont make a baby in one month. I dont give a damn if it takes many years to develop as long as the end product is good.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
ITT 666maslo66 showing that watching hours of CIG youtube videos does not turn one into an expert on software development.

Offline 666maslo666

Preproduction is still production time. Is that too hard to understand for you? Work was done (presumably) to define the scope of the project, models were made, code was written, concepts were .... conceptualized. Development did not start from zero.

No, a kickstarter video was made. With models of unusable quality and standards, and just a few concepts. Really, pre-production itself did not really start until 2013, too. Production of a crowdfunding campaign was what happened before 2013. It would be stupid to include that in development time.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:32:15 am by 666maslo666 »