Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597720 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
Whyyyyyyyyy does anyone still pay attention to stage demos. Somewhere post Halo 2 everyone should have figured out that they are purpose-made Potemkin villages.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
you remind me of one of the crazier admins of conservapedia

The guys who wanted to re-translate the bible because it was too left-wing for their tastes?
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Mikes

Planetary landings prerecorded footage, I guess.

Go watch it. Then you don't have to guess. It's pretty clear what it is imho.

I'm still sorta on the fence about Star Citizen ... on the one hand it has all the signs of a big time scam ... on the other, they are actually making steady progress. Slow yes, but steady nevertheless.

Whyyyyyyyyy does anyone still pay attention to stage demos. Somewhere post Halo 2 everyone should have figured out that they are purpose-made Potemkin villages.

Also, all cats are black.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
...uh, not really? On the No Man's Sky thing.

"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mikes

...uh, not really? On the No Man's Sky thing.

Opinions vary I guess, but as far as I'm concerned ANYTHING blows No Mans Sky away.

Haven't seen such an utter POS game in over a decade. That video that compares the trailers to actual gameplay pretty much says it all. Played about an hour or two then, in utter disgust, requested a refund on Steam for the first time.

Frankly, I can't remember any game that made me feel quite so cheated after purchase.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Quote from: Mikes
Also, all cats are black.

We're talking about stage demos, though. They're as fake as vertical slices.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network

Some are fake, some are not. Stage demos are not as good as hands-on playing the game, but to say that we shouldnt pay attention to them is stupid. I have yet to see any evidence that SC stage demo is fake. The have showed lots of complex gameplay and it didnt look prerecorded or faked at all.

One could argue that what they have shown, while impressive, is all that exists, Potemkin style, but that is just baseless speculation. Anyway, we will hopefully see in a few months.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Starship movement actually is terrible. Well.
I guess it's a good thing they are making progress, but each and every piece of detail they put in this demo costs money. I feel they will either employ a ton of copypaste or not deliver on this front for the rest of the game.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Kszyhu

I'm still sorta on the fence about Star Citizen ... on the one hand it has all the signs of a big time scam ... on the other, they are actually making steady progress. Slow yes, but steady nevertheless.

Yeah, progress. Star Marine was supposed to be a standalone module, coming in "weeks, not months", then it was "already in game", even though no mechanics, almost no models, and no maps were included, and now it's touted as a standalone module again, even though it's "already in game". At least their SC 2.0 was better, but after 9 months since its release the game doesn't have quite a few features from the "live demo" (no manual repairing of ships, no engineering console, no boarding a ship through damaged hull), and it's unbelievably buggy - walls and spaceships hulls are merely a suggestion, weapon models don't load when you aren't in a spacesuit (and you don't need it when going EVA), character models deform into Lovecraftian monstrosities, ships explode in quantum drive for no reason.
Gamescom presentation last year was bug free, and it's live implementation makes Big Rigs: Over The Racing look polished (and it was borderline unplayable on release 4 months after a demo). I see no reason to believe this year's presentation wasn't any different. Parts of it could be prerecorded, parts playable in game, but buggy in 8 out of 10 playthroughs, parts of it 'on rails'.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:00:05 am by Kszyhu »

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator

Some are fake, some are not. Stage demos are not as good as hands-on playing the game, but to say that we shouldnt pay attention to them is stupid. I have yet to see any evidence that SC stage demo is fake. The have showed lots of complex gameplay and it didnt look prerecorded or faked at all.

One could argue that what they have shown, while impressive, is all that exists, Potemkin style, but that is just baseless speculation. Anyway, we will hopefully see in a few months.

The issue with trusting demos has a lot to do with trusting the people behind it, as I see it. CIG have consistently proven that they will obfuscate until the sun goes cold and there is a world of difference between what we see in the demos vs what players can actually play. I'm going to go on a hunch here and say that when SC 3.0 is actually released to backers, it won't be anywhere near as polished or complete as what we've just seen. At this point I feel as though none of this really needs to be said, because it's what a lot of us have come to expect.

<snip>
Gamescom presentation last year was bug free, and it's live implementation makes Big Rigs: Over The Racing look polished (and it was borderline unplayable on release 4 months after a demo). I see no reason to believe this year's presentation wasn't any different. Parts of it could be prerecorded, parts playable in game, but buggy in 8 out of 10 playthroughs, parts of it 'on rails'.

The comparison with Big Rigs is unfair: that game is actually fun to play, in its own twisted way.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
GUYS, ITS STILL PRE-ALPHA, PRODUCTION STARTED LAST MONTH. STOP HATING.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I want this ride to never end
Urutorahappī!!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Opinions vary I guess, but as far as I'm concerned ANYTHING blows No Mans Sky away.

Even knowing what I do about No Man's Sky, though, I think I'd still like it at the core of its game mechanics; the chance to just get out and explore, with just enough everything else to back that idea up for awhile. When it wears thin, quit the game. But I'd come back to it again in time.

So it's probably not worth sixty bucks. Most games aren't. But I can see it on my list of eternal installs. That's praise of a sort.

I pledged 25 bucks to Star Citizem way back so I could get another Wing Commander style game. I figured that was probably overcommitting a little, but screw it, I've got my Kilrathi saga CDs even if I can't make them work.

Instead I've got...this. Where they've made every bad choice possible except one. They actually did try to reproduce WC style combat somewhat, a bit longer ranged than similar games. Then immediately nullified that decision by exaggeration and use of a poorly considered semi-newtonian environment. I can't see installing this at all.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

The Aliens: Colonial Marines demo didn't look fake but, guess what, it was.

How can people be so naive? I learned not to trust these things when I was thirteen, but then again I read PC gamer at the time and that magazine was always a lot on the sceptical side of things when it comes to publishers promising things, at least at the time.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 10:42:13 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It baffles me. Whether Star Citizen is a well-managed product or the world's most elaborate money vacuum, whether the game's main branch is a disaster or a solid piece of software, I guarantee this stage demo is its own branch that a bunch of poor people have probably been crunching on for months.

I remember how excited everyone was after The Division's stage demo. Or Watch____________Dogs! Or No Mans Sky!  Or ****in' Destiny

I want this ride to never end

Now that is some seriously Clown Mode ****, lmao

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Reminder that this game is pretty amazing when you consider they only started preproduction last week
Urutorahappī!!

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Yeah, progress. Star Marine was supposed to be a standalone module, coming in "weeks, not months", then it was "already in game", even though no mechanics, almost no models, and no maps were included, and now it's touted as a standalone module again, even though it's "already in game". At least their SC 2.0 was better, but after 9 months since its release the game doesn't have quite a few features from the "live demo" (no manual repairing of ships, no engineering console, no boarding a ship through damaged hull), and it's unbelievably buggy - walls and spaceships hulls are merely a suggestion, weapon models don't load when you aren't in a spacesuit (and you don't need it when going EVA), character models deform into Lovecraftian monstrosities, ships explode in quantum drive for no reason.

FPS is in the game, Star Marine is not. Nobody ever said that SM was already in the game.

Game heavily in development has bugs, news at 11.. The amount of bugs Star Citizen has is quite low for such a complex game deep in development.

I agree that things such as manual repairs, engineering are too delayed, thats a valid criticism. Progress on basic gameplay mechanics is kinda slow. After 3.5 years of development, they should be a bit further along, IMHO. We shall see whether Alpha 3.0 manages to catch up.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 11:45:31 am by 666maslo666 »
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
technical debt