Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597745 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
technical DEBT

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
TECHNICAL DEBT

Tech debt is my favorite term in the software world. I'm pretty sure that all software made for profit now is complete garbage in at least one way or another, with the Garbage Factor slider determining the overall levels of garbage. I've learned this the hard way through my job. Video games, SaaS, The Cloud(TM), you name it. It's all terrible. Hooray! \o/

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
TECHNICAL DEBT

Id say that SC suffers from exactly the opposite problem. Instead of endlessly refactoring, polishing and taking lots of time to implement features properly, they should just make something that works and solve the technical debt later. But who knows, maybe their approach of low technical debt will turn out to be great in the long run..
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 12:48:19 pm by 666maslo666 »
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Kszyhu

FPS is in the game, Star Marine is not. Nobody ever said that SM was already in the game.

False, CR himself has stated that SM is in PU.

Game heavily in development has bugs, news at 11.. The amount of bugs Star Citizen has is quite low for such a complex game deep in development.

No, it isn't low. Look at any early access game, while they are somewhat buggy, SC is borderline unplayable. Show me one game where the netcode reduces the FPS, where you can repeatedly walk through almost any wall, where your goddamned weapon doesn't render because you aren't wearing right clothes.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Lol "low technical debt"

Building your entire game on the wrong engine is the definition of massive tech debt

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The amount of bugs Star Citizen has is quite low for such a complex game deep in development.

The amount of bugs Star Citizen has is quite low for such a complex game deep in development.

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Id say that SC suffers from exactly the opposite problem. Instead of endlessly refactoring, polishing and taking lots of time to implement features properly, they should just make something that works and solve the technical debt later. But who knows, maybe their approach of low technical debt will turn out to be great in the long run..
Hi hello, you don't seem to understand what the meaning of technical debt is.
Everything you say is hilarious. Please don't stop.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

No, their endless refactoring is a clear indication that they're running into technical debt issues all the time. Mainly because they are always making things that "work" (Just look at FSO, we're sometimes running into technical debt issues coming from design decisions made by Volition back in the day that we then have to work around; A prime example is the interface system, which we would have to refactor in its entirety if we ever wanted to go beyond 1024x768 interface art).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

they have so little technical debt because they didnt take out a technical loan from the technical bank to fix the unusable output from ilfonic and just threw it out instead
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
so few bugs
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOTVtf4D8vQ#t=52s

It's ****ing hilarious how basically nothing in this game works right
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Low technical debt, barely any bugs. Its a good thing they don't take the time to implent things properly.

I just don't understand game development.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Can some of you nerds bloody post something too, so I won't be hexaposting again while I show off all the amazing star citizen features? I'd appreciate it.

So immersive

**** the edit button, just post.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline 666maslo666

False, CR himself has stated that SM is in PU.

Not true. Please provide source.

No, it isn't low. Look at any early access game, while they are somewhat buggy, SC is borderline unplayable. Show me one game where the netcode reduces the FPS, where you can repeatedly walk through almost any wall, where your goddamned weapon doesn't render because you aren't wearing right clothes.

Early access games usually tend to be complete **** precisely for the reason that the devs are too afraid of introducing bugs and so they get locked down and never get finished. Compared to your average early access game, SC is more buggy but also changes a lot more. Which is as it should be. Also, SC is not really early access, more like complete access, even pre-Alpha stages of development can be played. You cant expect a polished product at that stage.

SC is not unplayable at all.

Those bugs you mention are trivial things that may not be acceptable in a released, finished game, but are totally fine in a WIP product. Most ordinary games with closed development would be much more buggy still.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Citation ****ing needed for every single thing you just said.

Literally every sentence, sometimes twice.

Offline Kszyhu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGreb21dKdg&feature=youtu.be&t=18m28s

Edit: Those bugs are not trivial things, they are problems with the very foundation of an engine.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 02:39:02 pm by Kszyhu »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Okay. You, quoting CR, who says "it's definitely in". Fourth post from the bottom, page 46 of this very thread

It’s definitely in and Star Marine was originally our idea of how to get people to play the FPS before we could put everything together,

Did you leave any drugs for the rest of us?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline 666maslo666

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGreb21dKdg&feature=youtu.be&t=18m28s

I asked you for a source saying that Star Marine is in the PU. And you post a video of Chris saying that Star Marine will be in the PU when all the FPS features are completed. Thanks for proving me right, I guess..

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.