Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597531 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
Paying 20 bucks for this mess *is* the idiotic thing to do, though. More than 5 bucks for what is currently being "released" is pure generosity from fanboys.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I'm more or less laughing at the part where my friend stopped playing Elite because 1) The upgraded their anti cheat so he couldn't cheat anymore and 2) He hated the grind for everything

And yet he's vehemently defending Star Cit against my questions as to whether or not the game is functional for him and how it's going with it

Ah well. Thing I'm worried about is the possibility of the price going up again in the future, course that technically happens as CAD becomes weaker
Stick with Elite, the grind is normal in open world space sims and in Elite it's actually more fun than the other open world spacesims I've played, I sincerely doubt that SC will be any better outside Squadron 42.

As for Star Citizen, I wouldn't give them money before the game is complete and released to the public, they have more than enough money but they are still in a very broken alpha after years, I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
My plan.....

Wait for SQ42.

Acquire an evaluation copy.

Not buy main game.

Profit
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I keep finding myself considering buying into Star Citizen. One fellow I know consistently swears by it (usually retorting any sort of bug remarks with 'it runs fine for me'), for... reasons... and I keep considering it

Then I keep reading this thread

Then I also realized the price is forty five USD to buy in to which I promptly said "Yeah no"
Course, I was then called an idiot by my friend who insisted he told me about the 20$ buy in from December. Either way, I keep finding myself between buying this and not buying this

God damn are those glitches funny as all hell though
I am glad I offer you perspective. (definitely don't buy into this)

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've actually seen people post videos of similar crazy player-model deformations in other modern-engined games (whether they were CryEngine or UE4 or something else I don't remember), and the sensible explanation given was that, in games where you'll never see your own model, this can be a way of managing weapon elevation changes when you're crouching or jumping or whatnot.  But obviously here we have a game where other people are most definitely going to be seeing your character model, and yet the same issue is occurring, so...yeah.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

This looks like the Star Citizen equivalent to the facepalm :P

*Facepad*
"No"

Offline MikeRoz

My plan.....

Wait for SQ42.

Not buy main game.

Profit
So piracy is condoned here so long as it's a game we don't like?

If the game is so incredibly ****ty, don't buy it and don't play it. If it's worth playing for any reason, then buy it. Anything else is indefensible.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I reinstalled the game just to see if those bugs were brought about by people going out of their way.

What I got was floating helmets and guns everywhere and an inability to use the elevator. And a complete lack of support for the CH gear. And the controls are wonky as all hell. :sigh:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

If the game is so incredibly ****ty, don't buy it and don't play it. If it's worth playing for any reason, then buy it. Anything else is indefensible.

Who said anything about piracy? Last I checked, SQ42 is intended down the road as being a standalone separate entity to the main game
Evaluation copy could mean potential demo or just demo from a friend
"No"

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
My plan.....

Wait for SQ42.

Not buy main game.

Profit

As a Mod you think I'd flaunt piracy talk here?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Aesaar

I've actually seen people post videos of similar crazy player-model deformations in other modern-engined games (whether they were CryEngine or UE4 or something else I don't remember), and the sensible explanation given was that, in games where you'll never see your own model, this can be a way of managing weapon elevation changes when you're crouching or jumping or whatnot.  But obviously here we have a game where other people are most definitely going to be seeing your character model, and yet the same issue is occurring, so...yeah.
No, no, not just that.  It's happening in a game that not only prides itself on "not cheating" like this, but whose community disparages games that do it.

It's very funny.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
I keep finding myself considering buying into Star Citizen. One fellow I know consistently swears by it (usually retorting any sort of bug remarks with 'it runs fine for me'), for... reasons... and I keep considering it

Then I keep reading this thread

Then I also realized the price is forty five USD to buy in to which I promptly said "Yeah no"
Course, I was then called an idiot by my friend who insisted he told me about the 20$ buy in from December. Either way, I keep finding myself between buying this and not buying this

God damn are those glitches funny as all hell though

Wait for the next free-fly week and you will be able to test it out for yourself, I'd advise against buying in before you do that.

This. Posting cherry-picked bug screenshots does not tell you anything about the frequency of actually encountering said bugs during normal gameplay. If you have a fast enough connection to not mind a 30 GB download, its best to try the game yourself and see whether the frequency is acceptable for your personal alpha version bug threshold or not.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This. Posting cherry-picked bug screenshots does not tell you anything about the frequency of actually encountering said bugs during normal gameplay. If you have a fast enough connection to not mind a 30 GB download, its best to try the game yourself and see whether the frequency is acceptable for your personal alpha version bug threshold or not.

But be wary of letting the downloader do its thing unchecked, as it will happily imitate the very worst habits of peer-to-peer downloaders.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The SC downloader by default opens six ****ing hundred connections and pretty much destroys any chance of any DNS-based service successfully receiving a reply to a query.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Luis Dias

ahaha this conversation is hilarious.

"Look them bugs!!"

"Don't mind the bugs, try it yourself and see if your experience is fine"

"Don't do that, downloading it is *also* filled with bugs!!"

LOL

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Posting cherry-picked bug screenshots does not tell you anything about the frequency of actually encountering said bugs during normal gameplay.
One of the best parts of starcitizen is how incredibly easy it is to run into bugs, like literally just try to play the game normally and you'll run into countless silly bugs. There really is no 'cherry picking' involved here, the game is hosed. The frequency = very frequent.

ahaha this conversation is hilarious.

"Look them bugs!!"

"Don't mind the bugs, try it yourself and see if your experience is fine"

"Don't do that, downloading it is *also* filled with bugs!!"

LOL
also this
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I mean, this is literally the first thing you see running around planet-side: floating helmets, guns, and magazines...

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
The more bugs there are, the more it shows that they are actually working on the game instead of falling into the worst trap of early access games - lack of real progress and too much focus on mere bug fixing in the name of being prematurely user friendly. I wouldnt want SC to end up like Minecraft, which is basically the same game as the first version but with a few more boxes, or Elite, which is a game that is still mile wide and inch deep several years after release. Id rather have them fail than that.

You cannot make an omelete without breaking a few eggs. Bug fixing comes late in the development, especially if the bugs are merely cosmetic and happen only sometimes.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The more bugs there are, the more it shows that they are actually working on the game instead of falling into the worst trap of early access games - lack of real progress and too much focus on mere bug fixing in the name of being prematurely user friendly. I wouldnt want SC to end up like Minecraft, which is basically the same game as the first version but with a few more boxes, or Elite, which is a game that is still mile wide and inch deep several years after release. Id rather have them fail than that.

No, having bugs persist over multiple releases really isn't that good a sign. Neither is not locking down basic game mechanics at some point.

You cannot make an omelete without breaking a few eggs. Bug fixing comes late in the development, especially if the bugs are merely cosmetic and happen only sometimes.

Which would be a valid argument if SC was in an internal or tightly restricted alpha. But as the regular free flight weekends show, they believe this is good enough to serve as a demo, despite very little of the game's end state having been implemented.

Also, as anyone who has ever worked on a large software project knows, bugs either get fixed immediately or not at all. It's a technical debt thing, a concept which you should really try to grok.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns