Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597405 times)

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
To be fair, I like how gun sounds get muffled and how frag grenade doesn't burst into dramatic flames. It doesn't look interesting just yet, though.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The gun sounds of both hand guns and ship guns are aaawwwfffuulllll. It's literally pew pew pew.

Also turbolol at maslo still rushing to the defense of these clowns at cgi/rsi. After 4 years of doing streams and still not being able to get it right, its 'relatively unimportant' because its totally not an indication of how their whole development progress has been so far. 4 years of development and the whole game is still nothing but technical glitches. Maybe you should take some of the more subtle hints cgi/rsi has been throwing at you all this time.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Luis Dias

I don' get it. All I see there is a Call of Duty game. What the **** am I missing here?

Huh. And I thought FS1 weapons sounded bad. This is a whole new level.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Kszyhu

What the **** am I missing here?

Nothing. It's a really generic FPS of an acceptable quality.

From the threads about it on the subreddit it sounds like their much-hyped flight model redesign has been an unmitigated disaster, which is pretty funny.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Kszyhu

Any links?

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
The flight model thing is really a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation and part of the cost of having players involved early-on in the balancing and tuning processes. The bottom line, as far as I can tell, is they adjusted the flight to be more accessible & cinematic but broke some of the "high-level" play in the process. While these sorts of adjustments are needed to make a game that's fun and playable by Average Joe, the hardcore pilots who've spent years fine-tuning their skills are not going to be happy with any changes, especially "dumbing down" ones.

Sim model changes are always controversial. Whether it's IL-2 or Assetto Corsa or Elite: Dangerous. Hell, I distinctly recall that Counter Strike: Source changed the gun's recoil management to fix bugs. For instance, the glock was super accurate on burst fire mode if you were running and jumping. Additionally, one of the biggest issues with any counter strike was that the crosshair answered to it's own logic rather then responding to how the accuracy of the weapon changed, which allowed a lot of these things to stay unnoticed. The team that was then working on Counter-Strike: Source (they later also made Global Offensive) ffixzed the bugs in the model so that it was, at the very least, internally consistent: The crosshair answered to how the recoil of the weapon changed, and weapons were always more accurate when you were crouching and standing still. This move was decried by a lot of people, becuase they had gotten used to the idiosancrycies of the system and now they had to re-learn everything.

Or in short, upsets about changes to modelling can say more about the community as it says about the actual changes.

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Yeah, but if you read the comments the light fighters aren't fast anymore. They literally broke the balance the game had, even though that balance was already ruined by a **** damage to shield regeneration ratio.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mikes

Yeah, but if you read the comments the light fighters aren't fast anymore. They literally broke the balance the game had, even though that balance was already ruined by a **** damage to shield regeneration ratio.

Fast is relative. ;-)

And commenters are prone to exaggeration. Or rather aggravated hardcore players are prone to post exaggerated comments.

So the truth is probably somewhere inbetween. Haven't played myself so no idea, but I do know enough to take any games "post patch comments" with a grain of salt.

As far as I'm concerned the flight model was totally borked before ... and if it's now a little bit more or less borked ... I really don't care (anymore) /shrugs.

I mean, is it as bad as that youtube film of the combat someone posted a while back to critique the combat gameplay in the alpha?

Offline Mikes

Frankly ... I don't know what you're all on about.

I for once, am finally completely happy with what CIG is doing and could not be more satisfied with how everything they did turned out.

In case you are wondering ... my refund just appeared on my Paypal account. ;-)

On a more serious note: Due to all the ambigious stuff you read on the subject, I was a bit worried as I applied for the refund, but CIG has been pretty straightforward and completely professional. They of course sent me the expected mail to persuade me by pointing out all the exciting things that happened on the streams (i.e. my reason to finally get a refund lol) and it did take a few days for the money to come through, but it wasn't a hassle at all.

Happy customer :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You know what would be really silly for Star Citizen to do? Switching to a new engine.

Guess what just happened.

Now, couple notes here: Amazon's Lumberyard engine is actually a CryEngine fork, so it's not like switching to unreal or something like that.
Still though, I do wonder what they think they'll gain here: From everything they've told us, they made extensive changes to the engine in order to get it to run SC content; getting those changes to run on whatever Amazon has done will be ... an interesting challenge, I imagine.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well, at least Star Marine is out with Alpha 2.6 now, months after it was supposed to be out, right?

...right?

Goddammit CIG
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
ahahahahaha you cannot make this **** up

So I'm reasonably confident that this was just a marketing stunt where they cut a deal with Amazon to change the branding to say "powered by Lumberjack" with no meaningful technical changes. This makes this latest development simply a barefaced lie rather than an honest project suicide.

You know what would be really silly for Star Citizen to do? Switching to a new engine.

Guess what just happened.

Earlier, I joked, "Always bet on Duke."  This is looking more and more like the Duke Nukem Forever development cycle, though.  If they're on the same schedule, CIG should be going radio-silent some time next year, saying nothing about the project, until they have to sell it off to another company that will rush Star Citizen to completion in about a decade or so.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I think the reason they did this is pretty clear; they couldn't make CryEngine's multiplayer framework really function with a huge MMO with seamless transitions across systems. Cryengine was crapping out sending data about trash cans from one side of the sector to the other. The servers can only handle, max, what, like 10-24 players or something?

Lumberjack is probably tied into Amazon Web Services in some way. At least, that's what I see from standing over here. So this move is probably going to involve taking all of the content they made, systems they wrote, animation calls, etc, and porting them to Lumberjack. Since the two engines use the same underlying rendering and data structures (as I understand it), this could be a very easy process. It could not be. It's a risky maneuver, at this late stage in the game, but probably a necessary one.

This is because given this project's track record, of growing from one promise to the next, I don't think they really used a lot of that starting cash efficiently. I bet a lot of it's gone now. However, I, for one, intend to download Star Marine and have a laugh at its expense. I backed when they said they were going to base the flight model on the physical location of the thrusters. Something that I think has been totally forgotten, as evidenced by the extremely detailed but vaugely unrealistic and pointless ships they've been churning out.

Keep in mind that Elon Musk's total initial investment in SpaceX was $100 million, + $20 million right before launch, which means someone else has built a real rocket to launch a real spaceship for less money than it's taking Chris Roberts to get to release candidate 1.0 of Star Citizen.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX

In January 2005, SpaceX bought a 10% stake in Surrey Satellite Technology.[30] By March 2006, Musk had invested US$100 million of his own money into the company.[31]

On August 4, 2008, SpaceX accepted a further $20 million investment from Founders Fund.[32][36][37]

The first privately funded, liquid-fueled rocket, the Falcon 1, then launched into space the very next month in September 2008.

So yea, I think this whole thing will be a demonstration of hubris and of one man's desire to make the next Star Wars, and forgetting to make the game he told people he would.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 12:46:39 am by Unknown Target »