Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597434 times)

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
One: why does the helmet overlay have a delayed reaction to head movement?

it's an immersive simulation of real life, where helmets have tremendous inertia and are attached to the head by means of a delicate web of springs
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Sorry for the lock, guys.  My phone is stupid, and I didn't notice until now.

One: why does the helmet overlay have a delayed reaction to head movement?

it's an immersive simulation of real life, where helmets have tremendous inertia and are attached to the head by means of a delicate web of springs

You are the man playing the man in a simulated BDSSE who is turning his head with the helmet on. A delayed reaction is to be expected.

Yeah, and then you can look at a real world aircraft and see how the same thing happens in real life. Not that I'm justifying their choice. Just saying you're complaining about something that is equivalent to real life.

This is true, however videogames shouldn't mimic real life cockpits unless they expect ALL of their audience to have real-life view areas. Even with a triple monitor setup you're still short of real-life FOVs and missing most of the vertical AOV. If you ever sat in a real-world cockpit you'd know that it's nowhere near as restrictive with your real viewing angles compared to compressing that same cockpit that's a metre+ in diagonal to a 24'' screen. Videogames should be designed with a monitor in mind, not some futuristic device that can give you realistic viewing angles.

For racing games most people usually just set the FOV to 50-55 so all you can see is the road but if you're expected to read and use all these gauges then you can't just make them go away by lowering the FOV.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:01:27 pm by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Who said anything about any sort of futuristic devices? I was talking about the fact that you can't see through the solid parts of the cockpit, like where the instrumentation is. HUDs, HMDs, and/or MFDs help, because you don't need as many displays, but the cockpit is still mostly stuff that is in the way of seeing outside. The much greater viewing area you refer to is mainly above and to the sides of the flight crew. And without full on holographic environment displays, you'll never simulate that in a game. Well, maybe someone might make some insane purpose built rig with screens all over, but then they'd have to make a game that supported this arrangement. In any case ****ty MFD controls in that demo vid aside, there are real world planes where you can't see out as well as that craft. Ever play Air Warrior II? It only uses real world aircraft, from World War I through Korea. Some of those planes are terrible for seeing out, with too many struts in the canopy, creating all sorts of blind spots.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sorry for the lock, guys.  My phone is stupid, and I didn't notice until now.

It wasn't the moderation we needed.  It was the moderation we deserved.  ;)

Laineys do you have reading comprehension issues?
I explained in my previous post just why those restrictive cockpits aren't nearly as restrictive when you're actually sitting in them in real life compared to viewing them compressed onto a monitor.
Blind spots stay the same, sure, but a cockpit that takes 50% of your monitor doesn't take 50% of your real-life view angle. And that's why you have to adjust those cockpits because not everyone has a triple monitor setup and they're just annoying on a single-monitor when they eat up so much of your view.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:49:30 pm by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah, and then you can look at a real world aircraft and see how the same thing happens in real life. Not that I'm justifying their choice. Just saying you're complaining about something that is equivalent to real life.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You're so right, I totally forgot about the IMMERSION!!!  :lol:

Offline Aesaar

Do you really want me to draw a mask over that cockpit to show you how it obscures more than 50% of the screen area?
I'd be really surprised if it obscured 50% of screen area when looking straight ahead (say, at 0:02).

I could also just refer you to Kobrar's earlier post on cockpits.  The Sabre's cockpit is pretty well arranged.  Of course, it's ruined by the fact that almost all of the useful info is on barely readable MFDs and not on a HUD like a well designed space sim interface, but that's SC for you.  One step forward, two steps back.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:11:56 am by Aesaar »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
There's also the fact that in real world cockpits, you're not really needing all that extra space to see. There's the the sky, and there's the ground. Radars and other assists do the rest of the work. Half the goddamn forward view shouldn't be obscured in a space game because spacial awareness is more of a factor there. Are we saying that in a thousand years humanity has yet to produce a helmet with a HUD overlay for important things like self and target data and radar?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Luis Dias

0:02? Fair point. That's more like 1/4 of the screen. Still hate it though.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
There's also the fact that in real world cockpits, you're not really needing all that extra space to see. There's the the sky, and there's the ground. Radars and other assists do the rest of the work. Half the goddamn forward view shouldn't be obscured in a space game because spacial awareness is more of a factor there. Are we saying that in a thousand years humanity has yet to produce a helmet with a HUD overlay for important things like self and target data and radar?

The Star Marines are still running around with H&K G36Cs so apparently technology has only advanced in fits and starts.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Which is funny when you think about it, because as it turns out, when the Bundeswehr actually had to use the damn things they turned out hilariously inadequate for the use they were intended.

If they want to be realistic the rifles should be constantly overheating.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
What bugs me are the manually operated turrets. We haven't had those since, like...1945? The B-29 had remotely operated turrets, and then the last aircraft to have a tail gunner in the US inventory, the B-52, has an auto-tracking turret.

Isn't Star Citizen set in the year 4000 or something?

Isn't Star Citizen set in the year 4000 or something?

Crafty bastards leaked the release date, right under our noses!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
What bugs me are the manually operated turrets. We haven't had those since, like...1945? The B-29 had remotely operated turrets, and then the last aircraft to have a tail gunner in the US inventory, the B-52, has an auto-tracking turret.

Because Star Wars has manually-operated turrets. Also an excuse for multicrew.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
In any case ****ty MFD controls in that demo vid aside, there are real world planes where you can't see out as well as that craft. Ever play Air Warrior II? It only uses real world aircraft, from World War I through Korea. Some of those planes are terrible for seeing out, with too many struts in the canopy, creating all sorts of blind spots.

Just want to point out - those are OLD planes. If you look at modern fighters, they often have cockpits that minimise struts and maximise visiblity. The F16 is famed for its excellent fov from the cockpit and that plane has been flying for over 40 years now.

Star Citizen wants to be WW2 Rome In Space, with realistic immersion, yet fails to make concessions to common sense military expediency.

Back to lurking now.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I love the comments for those articles. In one post there's a guy saying all the refunds are lies and an attempt to make the SC devs look bad.

I just can't believe all the people blindly praising and going along with all this. They still have ****ing pre-Alpha builds after five years.