Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597608 times)

Offline Mikes

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
Even by that definition things are getting stale.

Stale? What are you talking about?

They just (semiofficially) (pre) announced (through Ben) the new upcoming concept sale of the Anvil Hurricane and the entire forum is getting their wallets ready in excitement! ;-)

The latest PC Gamer came in, with a quite interesting cover article:

(Implying it'll be done in 2017)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:51:01 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline Aesaar

SC's been in "Biggest/Most Anticipated Games of 201*" lists for years now.  It's just funny at this point.  What's funnier is that it has a pretty good chance of being in "Biggest/Most Anticipated Games of 202*" lists too.

Offline Mikes

SC's been in "Biggest/Most Anticipated Games of 201*" lists for years now.  It's just funny at this point.  What's funnier is that it has a pretty good chance of being in "Biggest/Most Anticipated Games of 202*" lists too.

The cut off point for me was when they just axed the long promised "Squadron 42" vertical slice. First they hype it for months and then .... uhhhh sorry guys no show!

That's when I requested my refund. ;-) Not that there weren't countless valid reasons/disappointments to do it earlier, but that was the final straw for me.

Frankly ... if they have much of anything to show that resembles a somewhat "complete/working" game this year (rather than simple tech demos that look more like development dead ends than anything resembling true "progress" towards their lofty promises) I would be hugely surprised. Same for next year.

From my perspective, they appear to be either unwilling or unable to do the necessary architectural groundwork for a game of this size and instead keep fumbling around with their completely unsuited engine while (surprise!) hitting one roadblock after the other. I'm not even convinced that it is malicious. More likely it's a classic case with the mother of all feature creeps, without any kind of solid foundation, being tampered with by way too many cooks to ever produce anything worthwhile.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:20:50 am by Mikes »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
What a fun way to divide the player base.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mikes

With a real time based space combat game they kinda have to provide low latency regional servers to make it decently playable, or don't they?

Don't really want to defend them, don't take me wrong. I have my own grudges by now, but this move at least was to me expected imho.

Offline Aesaar

More likely it's a classic case with the mother of all feature creeps, without any kind of solid foundation, being tampered with by way too many cooks to ever produce anything worthwhile.
From everything I've heard, it's just one cook who doesn't know what he's doing and refuses to listen when people with experience tell him X is a bad idea.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

With a real time based space combat game they kinda have to provide low latency regional servers to make it decently playable, or don't they?

Don't really want to defend them, don't take me wrong. I have my own grudges by now, but this move at least was to me expected imho.

True, but I fear there'll be a Call of Duty on PC effect where there's only a few thousand people on at a given time to populate the game universe. It'll be like Elite, except in certain systems known for money-making.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator

True, but I fear there'll be a Call of Duty on PC effect where there's only a few thousand people on at a given time to populate the game universe. It'll be like Elite, except in certain systems known for money-making.

I've read somewhere that CR intends for there to be a live Mo-cap news anchor reporting on events in the game world. This would require Eve-level activity from the playerbase both to provide news worth reporting and to fund it, but without any of Eve's capabilities for holding vast numbers of players in the same instance (assuming I'm using those terms correctly). Flash > Substance, Citizen!

I've read somewhere that CR intends for there to be a live Mo-cap news anchor reporting on events in the game world.

Glorious leader relays news items to host for first broadcast.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Wouldn't that be odd though, to have reports on a galaxy influenced by a server that's not the one you're on?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, if they are planning to do servers as distinct "sectors" of the game world that would make sense - not everything newsworthy happens in one country, after all.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Is there a plan to have these sectors related in any way? International events can affect everyone. I suspect this is not the case for SC.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer

Wouldn't that be odd though, to have reports on a galaxy influenced by a server that's not the one you're on?

I constantly get reports of a world influenced by a country that's not the one I'm in all the ****ing time

Offline Aesaar

Also, hope you weren't hoping it would have VR

http://www.roadtovr.com/star-citizen-senior-dev-vr-support-dont-hold-breath/
Second Kickstarter promise broken (third if you count the release date).

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

I constantly get reports of a world influenced by a country that's not the one I'm in all the ****ing time

You just had to get political with it. For ****'s sake. That's not even what I meant.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I've already messaged Cobra directly about this, but further political discussion in this thread will be removed and you will be issued a warning. Please take all political discussion to GD.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.