Author Topic: Release: Mantle 1.0.0  (Read 32137 times)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Okay, now that's interesting... Which version of Mantle are you running? Maybe Kestrellius did actually change something in updates? Also, maybe using a different build (i.e. 3.8.0-3 vs latest nightlies) changes something?

Eventually, you can toggle your and only your own primaries and secondaries with cheats, if you want. It might be just to "help yourself" pass a mission and then the next one will have more sensible loadouts?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Well, I removed the retail, non-HoL variants of the Prom R and Tempest and so on when I released 1.0.2 a little while back. Is that what you mean?

But yeah, the Akheton thing is definitely a bug.

I'm running Mantle 1.0.2.  I hadn't changed any of my FSO settings for fear that was where I went wrong before.  Looking at it closer, it is still using FSO 3.8.0-3.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Re: Release: Mantle 1.0.0
Giving this a bump...any progress on bugfixes yet?

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
1) Yes, but a lot of people were able to play through to the end. How???
2) No, I do not have Prometheus R or Tempests as options on Mission 1. I can get to the loadout screen but my only options are the Akheton, which I’m already loaded with, and the Rockeye, which I was not. My initial secondary loadout is empty.
3) I’ll try that when I get a chance later today.
4) I figured it was a long shot, but worth mentioning.

If I had to guess I would suggest the people who were able to play it through to the end were using the 'unlock all missions' cheat in the techroom mission simulator, and then playing each one in turn. This will give you the proper weapon options.

NB - to unlock all the mission in the tech room mission simulator you will first need to be in the tech room mission simulator menu then press Shift+S (or possibly ctrl+S or Alt+S - sorry, I cant recall of the top of my head) This will unlock them all.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I'm pretty sure I did play through it normally, albeit the weapon selection was a bit annoying.

@Kestrellius: Maybe try porting this mod to become independent of BPC (and relying only on MediaVPs)? Maybe it's just some stupid conflict with BP tables and stuff.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Think I've got it: the special "#HoL" versions of weapons (and the HL-8) don't appear on the "+Starting Weapons:" line of Mantle.fc2, hence them not showing up in the campaign even though they work fine otherwise. (You'll need to restart the campaign to make the fix take effect, though.)

Edit: Uploaded zip with fixed files. Should handle the "this mod has generated $N errors" stuff too.

Edit 2: So I just realized that Kestrellius already figured this out like a page ago. I am running 1.0.2, though, so it seems that there's still some weirdness with that upload.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 01:47:12 am by MrNerdHair »

Thank you so much!! I will definitely give this a try as soon as I have an opportunity.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Ok, so now that I've had a chance to finish the campaign without the loadout issues, I just want to say that that was some amazing writing and characterization there. Use of the BP soundtracks helped a lot in building atmosphere and emotion, which I've always thought was one of its a singular strong points. Also, the rapid-fire turrets and BP AI profiles really help turn the final few battles into works of art, and I can't believe I've never tried loading a Sekhmet with all Harpoons before, that was a lot of fun.

I did have a few issues, though; the all-Akheton loadout was the biggest, though I didn't realize it was a bug during the first mission and thought it really made for a unique challenge. There were also some occasions on which ship or subsys guardian would have been advised, like when I (actually pretty easily)
Spoiler:
disarmed the Orion in the jump corridor before it opened its broadside
and got to sit there for a minute or two before noticing it had borked. (I'd also recommend subsys-guardianing the player's weapons/sensor/engine systems on missions where support is disallowed, and comms on all missions because the dialogue is so important to the story.) Also, on a later mission, I got the order to retreat before I'd finished
Spoiler:
offing my traitorous wingmen
, which made some of the later dialogue a bit weird.

So, when's the sequel coming out? I want to talk with this Adabraxis Clade fellow myself. Story suggestion:
Spoiler:
Given that you're using the BP mod anyhow, why not borrow a bit of their story and make Father Runihara a Nagari-sensitive who's been picking up Shivan transmissions? He wouldn't have to be a full-blown Laporte-style agent, but a few hallucinations would go a long way to explaining his "prophet" status and why he was free of the sort of qualms many other HoL faithful had about firing on the Shivans.

Think I've got it: the special "#HoL" versions of weapons (and the HL-8) don't appear on the "+Starting Weapons:" line of Mantle.fc2, hence them not showing up in the campaign even though they work fine otherwise. (You'll need to restart the campaign to make the fix take effect, though.)

Edit: Uploaded zip with fixed files. Should handle the "this mod has generated $N errors" stuff too.

Edit 2: So I just realized that Kestrellius already figured this out like a page ago. I am running 1.0.2, though, so it seems that there's still some weirdness with that upload.

When will the fix hit knossos?

@MrNerdHair:
Stupid question I’m sure, but where do I put that data folder? Knossos has resources scattered all over the place and I’m not sure where to stick this fix.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
@MrNerdHair:
Stupid question I’m sure, but where do I put that data folder? Knossos has resources scattered all over the place and I’m not sure where to stick this fix.

{Knossos FS 2 folder}\Mantle-1.0.2

Knossos keeps stuff nice and tidy, but its also encodes the entire mod as .vp-files.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Well, I’ve tried that, and reset the campaign, and I still only have Akhetons and Rockeyes available on the first mission.

I don’t get it. What could be wrong with my installation to cause something like this??
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Campaign file:
Code: [Select]
+Starting Weapons: ( "Mekhu HL-7"  "Akheton SDG"  "Prometheus R"  "Rockeye"  "Tempest"  "Hornet"  "Harpoon"  "Stiletto II"  "Cyclops"  "Cyclops#short" )
Mission 1:
+Weaponry Pool: (
"Akheton SDG" 100
"Prometheus R#HoL" 40
"Rockeye" 260
"Tempest#HoL" 5760
)

The #HoL stuff is missing in the campaign file.

Offline Darius

If it helps, it took me a long time to realise that saving a campaign file in the FRED campaign editor saves a copy in the Appdata, rather than the one in the mod folder.
Try manually adding the weapon into the campaign file in notepad, or else Save As... in the campaign editor.

Campaign file:
+Starting Weapons: ( "Mekhu HL-7"  "Akheton SDG"  "Prometheus R"  "Rockeye"  "Tempest"  "Hornet"  "Harpoon"  "Stiletto II"  "Cyclops"  "Cyclops#short" )
Mission 1:
+Weaponry Pool: (
"Akheton SDG" 100
"Prometheus R#HoL" 40
"Rockeye" 260
"Tempest#HoL" 5760
)

The #HoL stuff is missing in the campaign file.

Yes, I believe that was what MrNerdHair's attachment was supposed to fix by using tables to be placed in the Data folder.  For some reason I couldn't get that fix to take.

I am far from adept at .VP editing, but I took a stab at putting the weapon descriptions you provided into the campaign file (once I finally figured out which one that was).  For reasons that continue to escape me, I still only have Akhetons and Rockeyes in the first mission.

I've given up for the time being and am going to play through the Tech Room with Ctrl-Shift-S instead of playing the campaign properly.  For whatever reason, the HOL Prometheus shows up in the first mission in the Tech Room.  It's just a bit of an immersion killer is all.  And this campaign seems to be all about immersion.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline 0rph3u5

Replaying a mission in the Simulator follows different rules than playing it as part of the campaign (e.g. playing a red alert mission will give you the default loadout).

Also, check Appdata as Darius suggested - the same thing happened to me; a campaign file was backed up along the pilot data, propably to ensure that pilot data doesn't get corrupted
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Hey, guys. Sorry I haven't been keeping up.

So, according to Orph3u5's advice, I just now looked at the campaign file in Notepad++, and it looks like that was what was broken? I did not realize that the campaign editor was that nonfunctional. Anyway, I'm uploading 1.0.3 now. We'll see in a few minutes if that fixed it.

I'm really glad to see people are still enjoying this! It warms my heart.  :)

I will say that my plans to continue this have mostly gone by the wayside. I do still want to release an update that removes the BP dependency, fixes some more issues, maybe modifies the early missions since they aren't exactly great, and implements more specific music -- but other than that...

Well, I had a plan for where I wanted the story to go after this, but it doesn't really interest me much anymore -- and I'm not sure it would interest anyone else, either. I think the compelling part of this story was the HoL fighting to survive and struggling to reconcile their beliefs with that need, and I think I pretty much exhausted that idea in the release. The rest of the story, as planned, was mostly about other stuff.

I think I might make another post in the near future talking some about the story, and maybe put a summary of where I'd planned to take the story in spoilers, so I can see if others concur with my assessment that it wasn't all that interesting.

Regardless, however, I have lots of other plans for campaigns, a couple of which are fairly fleshed-out (i.e., I have detailed ideas for story and missions, and have done most of the necessary work in terms of building modpacks). I can't guarantee they'll happen soon, but I do intend for them to happen.

EDIT: All right! Mantle 1.0.4 should now be working correctly. You may have to restart the campaign.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:57:49 pm by Kestrellius »

I wish I had better news, but 1.0.4 still has me starting with only Akhetons and Rockeyes in the main campaign. I’ve restarted the campaign and tried it with a brand new pilot. No dice.

I’ve no idea what is borked on my installation. This seems to be working for most people. But I’m just about done anyway playing through the tech room.  Will comment further once I’m done.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline 0rph3u5

I just checked in (least I can do after stealing all those glowmaps :D ) and its looking fine on my end.

Evidence attached.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

==================