FS2 with mods
9 (10.7%)
SCP (your choice of build) without mods
27 (32.1%)
SCP (your choice of build) with mods
13 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: June 21, 2005, 09:46:30 pm

Author Topic: A FREDding Contest, yay!  (Read 8911 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
A FREDding Contest, yay!
Well, not yet. Soon, though. ;) Basically, this thread is to build momentum and support for the actual contest, which will be held during the month of July.

Here's the background: Back in the days of VBB, Ground Freespace, Ross 128, etc. there used to be all kinds of contests.  Some of the best FREDders of the day participated in them; see this mission in the VWatch archives for example.

And yet, in the 3.5 years since I've been at HLP, I haven't seen one contest of note. The contests that we have had have suffered from poor participation and lack of any tangible prizes. The prizes have usually been in the form of some abstract title or shiny avatar that never gets awarded.

Well, this time will be different. ;) I've been discussing this with various people on and off the staff, and we've put together a decent contest program.  The official rules and prizes will be announced at the contest launch (and there WILL be prizes this time ;)) but for now I'd like to see what sorts of categories people will go for.

Thus, this poll.  Check off as many or as few categories as you want, and indicate in this thread whether you'll be participating. :)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
A FREDding Contest, yay!
Boo! Boo I say!

I can't FRED.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
A FREDding Contest, yay!
I'll be in that. But first...

*Goes to kidnap Kara and hide him in a basement*
*Blaise too*

There, now I might have a chance :D

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm voting SCP, no mods. There's no point to limiting ourselves to the Vanilla sexps, especially given what can be done nowadays with the SCP, but mods open up a whole new can of worms for compatbility, as well as availability, download size, etc. etc.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 10:41:33 pm by 302 »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
A FREDding Contest, yay!
Oh, I forgot to mention that Blaise Russel, karajorma, and I will be judging, so you won't have to worry about any of us submitting missions. ;)

As far as compatibility and downloading are concerned... as long as you provide all required mods and zip it up into one file, I don't think there'll be any restrictions on size.  And it doesn't matter if FRED or debug SCP yells at you... as long as we can load it up and play it without crashes, you should be fine. ;)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
A FREDding Contest, yay!
I think the poll has been decided before it was posted... ;)

Anyway, I only voted. I would like to participate, but 4 out of 5 games CRASH on my new HD. FreeSpace seems to have problems with the cruisers(general observation that the missions which do not include any cruisers don't crash). Well, missions are empty without cruisers, they are the backbone of the navy.

I will try installing WinXP and see if that will work... but I need a WinXP CD first. :o
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
A FREDding Contest, yay!
I say, for this first FRED contest, you should have all categories without mods. It'd be a cool way to start - and it wouldn't spread everyone too thin to start. :nod:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
A FREDding Contest, yay!
I agree with AWACS. :nod:
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
A FREDding Contest, yay!
Count me in as well :)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
A FREDding Contest, yay!
I will endulge. :nervous:
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Nuclear1

A FREDding Contest, yay!
I... just might do this. Sounds like a lot of fun. :nod:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

A FREDding Contest, yay!
Excellent idea :)

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
A FREDding Contest, yay!
I'd be interested. :) I've no chance of winning anything, but I'll give it a go....
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
A FREDding Contest, yay!
Originally posted by pyro-manic
I'd be interested. :) I've no chance of winning anything, but I'll give it a go....

Confidence is a weapon of mass destruction....
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Fergus

A FREDding Contest, yay!
Well in that case I'm sure I can't fail.
Generic signature quote blabber

A FREDding Contest, yay!
I want to participate!
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
A FREDding Contest, yay!
Great...time for a timeskip ahead to the Orientalis mission...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
A FREDding Contest, yay!
Originally posted by Black Wolf
I'll be in that. But first...

*Goes to kidnap Kara and hide him in a basement*
*Blaise too*

There, now I might have a chance :D

Nicest thing anyone's said about me all week :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

A FREDding Contest, yay!
Sounds like a cool idea.

Offline Nuclear1

A FREDding Contest, yay!
Originally posted by karajorma

Nicest thing anyone's said about me all week :D

Does that mean I coud... :nervous:

*takes kara from BW... and[/i] feeds him*

Frankly, I think we should try it without mods, simply for the reasons stated above--it would be more interesting to see what people could do with plain old Freespace 2 (or SCP) ships and weapons rather than having a bunch of flashy new ships to show off, and therefore make the mission seem more impressive.

I'm guessing that the SCP and Vanilla missions would be judged separately? I personally would find that judging Vanilla and SCP missions in the same category would be a little... unbalanced, seeing as how SCP is lightyears ahead of Vanilla, and some people can't support SCP on their comps in the first place.

With that aside, I'm off to get started on an entry. :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 11:14:11 pm by 673 »
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!