Author Topic: Space Force: Rogue Universe  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Sphynx

Space Force: Rogue Universe
SpaceForce 2 has been renamed Space Force: Rogue Universe. So far, it looks pretty good. The demo just came out. You can grab it at http://www.spaceforce-game.com/news2.aspx
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Space Force: Rogue Universe
Nice demo :D

B.t.w. - type in Bily Gates in command window for lot's a money :D
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Wow, watched the screenshots, it looks kickass, I have to try that demo.
SCREW CANON!

Yeah, I've seen alot of talk over this the last few days (although alot of that seemed to be from a guy completely slamming it on Gamespot). I'll have to download it in work next week.
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline Sphynx

I've tried it (briefly). It is visually very beautiful, and was built to be able to run well on a wide variety of machines. The combat has a good feel to it and is challenging (addressing one of my biggest complaints from the X series), and there appears to be a lot of space to explore and a lot of options, as well as a LOT of mission variety. So far, it looks like it is going to be what Dark Star One wished it was. I highly recommend trying the demo.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I'm downloading the demo now, so I have no first hand experience. But I have lots of faith in this game. That's because it's coming from the exotic east-europe, a land full of mystery. Lots of good games are born there. Games free of western corruption. Games that do not care about the Average Joe (an asshole if you ask me), and have depth and complexity.

I should mention that Rogue Universe isn't the only thing these crazy croatians are up to. I understand that Space Force: Captains is set in the same universe. Looks to be a turn-based strategy game.
Check it out: http://www.sfcaptains.com/mNews.aspx
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I tried the demo a few days ago... I don't know, I must be a miserable shot, I just can't get a single pirate ship down in the first mission, I just get my ass handed to me every single time I try. There's just no getting through the shields, my lasers are depleted in two seconds (which even if I get a perfect aim, will not allow me to scratch more than a eight of the shield), my wingman (well I'm supposed to be the wingman, but you get my point) does nothing, and if I'm going after one pirate, the second one will be on my tail right away and -there you go- I'm dead.
I must be missing some subtility or, if that's what Sphynx calls challenge, well yay for sure challenging it is :doubt:
SCREW CANON!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Personally, I disliked X3's combat not because it wasn't challenging, but because it was dumb, your ships had really basic AI, kept flying into things and blowing up, and ordering your wingmen to attack something generally meant they all rushed toward it at top speed, meaning the light fighters arrived, and were wiped out a good few minutes before the heavier ships were even in firing range.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm downloading the demo now, so I have no first hand experience. But I have lots of faith in this game. That's because it's coming from the exotic east-europe, a land full of mystery. Lots of good games are born there. Games free of western corruption. Games that do not care about the Average Joe (an asshole if you ask me), and have depth and complexity.

I should mention that Rogue Universe isn't the only thing these crazy croatians are up to. I understand that Space Force: Captains is set in the same universe. Looks to be a turn-based strategy game.
Check it out: http://www.sfcaptains.com/mNews.aspx

Yeah..my countrymen can be acrazy buggers somethimes..

Space Force: Captains is like HOMM5 in space..same combat system.

They also have a RPG in the works..

AS FOG GUNS ENERGY - you shoot in short burst... after a short burst the gun reticle will turn red and small. Let go of the fire bottun and it will re-charge in 1 second. Rinse and repeat.
Also, try shooting where the target ship wil be, not where it is. The blush target reticle that shows you where to shoot seems to go a bit to far away. And use strafing to get the buggers.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Sphynx

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I tried the demo a few days ago... I don't know, I must be a miserable shot, I just can't get a single pirate ship down in the first mission, I just get my ass handed to me every single time I try. There's just no getting through the shields, my lasers are depleted in two seconds (which even if I get a perfect aim, will not allow me to scratch more than a eight of the shield), my wingman (well I'm supposed to be the wingman, but you get my point) does nothing, and if I'm going after one pirate, the second one will be on my tail right away and -there you go- I'm dead.
I must be missing some subtility or, if that's what Sphynx calls challenge, well yay for sure challenging it is :doubt:

One big trick: don't fly combat at full speed. Set for half speed. Also, don't stray to far from the station. See if you can get some of the pirates' stray shots to hit the friendly cruiser. It will join the fight... rather decisively. :)

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
One bogey is rather easy to down. Two of them and no sweat. But three or more and the void of space.. Then you're dust. In my experience, friendly wingmen don't really help much. They do shoot the enemy, but it makes little difference when everyone seems to concentrate on me.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Cyker

Yeah I found it tricky too... you need to use the gun like you're using a Maxim on an Erinyes ;)

I thought the game used X-Wing/FS physics, but given the way the other ships manouver I'm not sure...  is probably more like the BSG mod (Beyond the Red Line).
I haven't figured out how to jink and slide or anything yet which makes it tricky... It's like trying to fight off 4 slidey SFDragons in a Herc mk 1!

Worst, I can't $*&%£#@ joystick support to work in the Demo, and from what I've read it isn't much better in the full version (Almost every post asking about joystick support gets pointed at some third-party program which maps joystick inputs to keyboard buttons!)

The lack of joystick support is a killer for me. The game is okay, but it just doesn't feel good enough that I'd actually buy it. I'd rather donate the money to the SCP and mod makers here!

Not a very good game really.  One easy trick though - get the sniper module, switch to sniper mode, and then rapidly click shoot instead of holding it.  You get the boosted damage without the RoF penalty.