Author Topic: Retconned Viper VII and Raider  (Read 19881 times)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: Retconned Viper VII and Raider
That's the RAZOR shot from the portside of the landing pod.

I don't think that it's used as landing site for Raptors, i think it's a loading dock to easier load new ships and other things the crew need.

Offline LeGuille

• Formerly known as Rejindo
  • I made a box for you! Now, think outside of it.
Forgive my ignorance:

What is a Retconned in comparison to something else?
4 "Beware of the truth.... Although much sought after, truth can be dangerous to the seeker." -- God-Emperor Leto II, God Emperor of Dune

Offline Shade

A retcon is when something (be it a persons past, some item's appearence or whatever) in a series is changed from how it was originally, and the series then pretends it was always that way.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:50:38 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Short for 'Retroactive Continuity'.

Offline LeGuille

So like the difference between a Viper Mk VII in the original series and the re-imagined series?
4 "Beware of the truth.... Although much sought after, truth can be dangerous to the seeker." -- God-Emperor Leto II, God Emperor of Dune

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think there was a Mk. VII in the original series. Plus, the new BSG is a different continuity -- changes from the original BSG aren't considered retcons.

Offline LeGuille

:confused: :blah:

I think I get it... Actually, I probably don't. But let's say I do. For my sake.

Offline Fish

• Nugget
A retcon is something that as a viewer of the TV show, you notice as being different.

For example, if the actor that played Apollo in the first episode was replaced by a different actor for the rest of the series, obviously the characters on the show would accept that as normal (they wouldn't be saying "Wow, Apollo, you look different!") because they're just actors too. But to us, watching the show, we realise that they changed something and pretended it was like that all along.

So changing the design of the Cylon Raider in the 4th season might be a 'retcon', because the effects team changed. Or, it might be a real in-universe reason, such as the Cylons manufacturing an improved fighter.
<><

Offline Scotchy

• polyonymous
That's the RAZOR shot from the portside of the landing pod.

I don't think that it's used as landing site for Raptors, i think it's a loading dock to easier load new ships and other things the crew need.

There are a few other changes as well (note the 'pipes' with the plating over them on either side of the 'raptor pad'), but mostly of the sort that you notice when you have spend long hours looking at reference images of the Pegasus.

I also agree that it isn't a Raptor specific landing/launching area as the Pegasus has at least three raptor launch tubes on either flight pod... though they never used them in the show for some reason.

Enki

Whether they were ever intended in the BSG universe to be used for Raptor pads, those rust colored patches look an awful damn lot like the kinds of pads I used to land on underway, only mine were dark gray.  They even line up nicely right in front of the airlocks just like smallboy helo pads do.

I do have to agree though, they are very well placed as onload/offload platforms when the ship is pierside. 

Scale-wise, that nook is almost as large as the entire landing area on a Nimitz Class flight deck and the rust patches are only a little smaller than the elevators.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Short for 'Retroactive Continuity'.

I know this may be a little off-topic, but...

It's like dealing with armed-with-beams Shivans in FS2(with different weaponry in FS1) or with several FS1 nodes that disappeared in FS2? Then why do we refer to them as "inconsistencies" if "retroactive continuities" would be more appropriate? That'd prevent more inconclusive "Why did the Shivans didn't have beams in FS1?"(example) threads and theories from being posted in both the forums and the Wiki.

Again, sorry for the OT. I might create a thread on General FreeSpace Discussion.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]