Author Topic: Wow... Just Wow!  (Read 7662 times)

Offline AV8R

Ok, after playing FreeSpace Open for many months on my old PC, I felt like it was finally time to upgrade my old rig to something with more up-to-date hardware. So, after making a few bucks selling old junk on eBay, I cherry-picked some nice stuff on NewEgg and put it all together last weekend. Here's the switch:

Old PC:

Old Dell P3 Motherboard mATX (Intel i815 Chipset)
Intel Pentium III 1.0Ghz (yes, you read that right)
Mushkin 512MB PC133 RAM
ATI 9700 256MB AGP Video Card
WD 160GB IDE Hard Drive
Windows XP SP3 x86

New PC:

Asrock B75M mATX Motherboard (Intel B75 Chipset)
Intel Pentium G860 3.0Ghz (Sandy Bridge)
G.Skill 2GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
AMD FirePro 3D v4800 Video Card
WD 250GB SATA3 HD
Windows 7 SP1 x86

The old PC has held up amazing well over the years with most of the games I threw at it, but since I'm just a space-sim lover and didn't put many demanding titles on the old PC, it was adequate for the task. That is until I played Silent Threat: Reborn for the first time. Everything was fine until the Hades showed up (with all of its textures/polygons) and then the FPS went south in a hurry (avg 20-25). It got worse in the final battle - maybe 10-15FPS. I got through it but I was a little dissapointed that my trusty P3 wasn't up to the task of providing the eye-candy that FSOpen was supposed to supply.

Enter new hardware - and after I got everything put together, OS loaded, OpenAL installed and copied over my FreeSpace folder from my old PC I ran FSOpen for the first time. Well, it certainly loaded faster and, as a bonus, the opening movie played without the familiar audio skipping that had plagued me on all cut-scenes on my old PC. I went into the tech room and fired up the Warship Gauntlet just so I could get used to and performance differences  between the 2 computers. What I found actually blew me away.

What I noticed immediately was the quality of the textures on the ships, especially the procedural textures.  The moving "flames" of the exhaust from the capital ships (I never saw this on my old PC probably due to the age of my video card/drivers and the lack of support it had for some of the OpenGL features implemented in FSOpen) was awesome! That's why I opted for a "professional" series video card in my new rig that could handle the latest OpenGL features and has drivers super-optimized for OpenGL (that and many sims I play are OpenGL-based).

And thus the thread title - Wow, just wow! I just got done playing Silent Threat: Reborn again this week and the experience was like night and day. The beauty of the textures combined with the performance of new, optimized hardware brought the FSOpen experience to a whole new level for me. I didn't know what I was missing playing on old hardware. Hopefully this new rig will continue to serve me well in the years to come with the sims I love to play - like FSOpen.

I look forward to the continued growth/improvements that the genius coders here continue to build into this product for the enjoyment of all who love to play one of the greatest space-sims ever written.

Thanks everyone and cheers!  :yes:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Gotta love upgrades. :) I'm still stuck on my old crappy Pentium 4 Dell, but even then, going from 512 MB of RAM to 3 GB, and a Radeon X300 to an HD 4670, was like night and day.

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
My old rig is tough and able to handle most games alright, but I want something to actually handle huge battles without choking. I have an early generation 2GB VRAM card that has a lot of space, but it doesn't process very efficiently. I've been saving up for the past few months to grab a $1000 computer that will last much longer than my hand-built rig.
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
From a P3 to a Sandy bridge? That's like 12 years worth of upgrading right there.
So uh, welcome to 2012 mate. I hope you will enjoy your stay  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I did my upgrade January of last year from an Athlon 2600XP to a Phenom II X2 560.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline AV8R

From a P3 to a Sandy bridge? That's like 12 years worth of upgrading right there.

Yeah, I'm kinda liking this whole 21st century thing now.

Perhaps I will stay.  ;)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Yeah, I'm kinda liking this whole 21st century thing now.

Perhaps I will stay.  ;)

Like FPS shooters?  Go play Crysis.  ;)  Just don't forget to pick up your jaw from the floor when you're done.

Well, more like 2011, since sandy bridge came out then.

Don't shoot me  :nervous:

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

It's only a G860. Can't really hold a candle to my i5. :nervous:
* Cobra flaunts rig
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Yeah but I imagine he could always update to a Sandy Bridge i7 later..  What then?  ;7

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It's only a G860. Can't really hold a candle to my i5. :nervous:
* Cobra flaunts rig
Pppfffff, only an i5? Come back when you are cool and have an i7 like me.  :p

Anyway, if he survived all these years with a friggin' p3... a G860 is going to be an endless world of difference. And he probably isnt running anything that would require even more power.

Well, more like 2011, since sandy bridge came out then.

Don't shoot me  :nervous:
  :beamz:
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'm currently having a look at technical progress (by playing Wolfenstein 3D and reading old Dilbert strips :)), we indeed went a long way in those 12 years.
I think you might like this: http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1994-02-19/

Offline AV8R

Yeah but I imagine he could always update to a Sandy Bridge i7 later..  What then?  ;7

Actually this motherboard supports Ivy Bridge processors. So when I get bored with the G860 (and have some disposable $$) I can upgrade at my leisure (it's a drop-in upgrade). And as a bonus, I'll also get a boost from the 1600Mhz memory bus (up from 1333 using Sandy Bridge).

Win-win!  ;7

@ Dragon: Loved the classic Dilbert cartoon!  :D

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
35 inch is still a huge monitor though  :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline LHN91

I still find the advance of technology fascinating. And I still have a computer from that era hanging around, that once in a while I like to pull out and fiddle around with. Though a 35" screen would still be pretty awesome even now.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Did anyone tell Intel that their newer names for processor lines are incredibly silly? I mean, what's a "sandy bridge," anyway?  A bridge that someone tracked sand onto? :p

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
it's as good as any other name there's ever been for hardware.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
IIRC, the "Bridge" part refers to some important structure inside the CPU (don't ask me what is it exactly, I study physics, not engineering), and "Sandy" might be the name of somebody important to the project (or maybe the design team).

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
or Intel just has a naming convention of naming processors after bridges
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

"Sandy Bridge CPU architecture -- Successor to the Nehalem microarchitecture. Manufactured on the same 32 nm process as Westmere. Renamed from Gesher. Gesher in Hebrew means bridge and there is a lot of sand in Israel. Thus "Sandy Bridge" is born. "

"Gesher CPU architecture -- A processor microarchitecture, the successor to Nehalem. Renamed to Sandy Bridge after it was discovered that Gesher is also the name of a political party in Israel.[19] The Hebrew word for 'bridge'. 2006 "

from Wikipedia.  It had a Hebrew name initially because it was developed primarily in Israel. 

Edit actually:  http://newsroom.intel.com/community/news/blog/2010/12/28/sandy-bridge-breaks-the-mold-for-chip-codenames