Author Topic: Require (or fake require) AI aspect lock?  (Read 1311 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Require (or fake require) AI aspect lock?
AI parity with human players is a great tool for mission and weapon designers.

Can we require the AI to obtain aspect lock? Can we fake a system in which an aspect-seeking weapon has an 'AI lock time requirement'?

What happens, right now, if the AI encounters a ship that can't be targeted? Will it correctly refuse to fire aspect seekers at it?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Require (or fake require) AI aspect lock?

Can we require the AI to obtain aspect lock? Can we fake a system in which an aspect-seeking weapon has an 'AI lock time requirement'?
The AI is currently required to obtain an aspect lock; the "AI lock time requirement" is the weapon's minimum lock time. Now, it will take the AI less time to lock onto a target than a human player would because the AI's attempts to lock on aren't thrown off by it or its target maneuvering; changing that would require making quite a few changes to the AI code.

What happens, right now, if the AI encounters a ship that can't be targeted? Will it correctly refuse to fire aspect seekers at it?
If it has the "hidden from sensors" flag or is under stealth, the AI won't obtain an aspect lock, and as mentioned before, an aspect lock is required for the AI to fire an aspect-seeking missile.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

The AI is currently required to obtain an aspect lock; the "AI lock time requirement" is the weapon's minimum lock time. Now, it will take the AI less time to lock onto a target than a human player would because the AI's attempts to lock on aren't thrown off by it or its target maneuvering; changing that would require making quite a few changes to the AI code.

Perhaps not what Battuta is looking for but might help.

How much work would it be to create a modifier in the AI tables to affect that lock time, something like this

$LockTime:                      1.0      0.75     0.5      0.0     -0.25

So on:
Very Easy the minimum lock time value the AI uses has a 1 second penalty
Easy - a 0.75 secong penalty, Normal 0.5 second
Hard would use the Tabled value
Insane would have the lock time reduced by 0.25 seconds

Basically while the change is controlled in the AI table, the effect is in the minimum lock time Value the AI uses, so no significant changes to the AI code I hope.

also to make it a little less predictable a +/- random number range that can be set to further modify the changes

As I say the changes I suggest wont make the engine mechanically more believable but would give mod makers a little more control over difficulty
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We already have $Hostile AI Secondary Fire Delay Scale: for that.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
ahhhh, ok
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art