Author Topic: FreeSpace: Secrets Revealed  (Read 54464 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: FreeSpace: Secrets Revealed
Dammit, I really want to be able to play this. :p

Somebody could FRED it... :nervous:

But half the story takes place onboard

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
But half the story takes place onboard

Oh yeah...I forgot. :o
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Teaser time :D

Chapter 4: The Hopeless Fallen(Continued)

System: System: Beta Aquilae(Delta Serpentis jump node)

May 20, Year 2371, 00:07 hours.

Private Quarters: GTD Vega

Simms pulled off his shoes and sat on his bed, he put his hands to his face, he hadn't had over fours hours of sleep for nearly a week, and near none except for thirty minute cat naps for the past two days and he was tired. But, he marveled at what had taken place, no only was the threat in Delta Serpentis neutralized, he had recovered three of his pilots thought dead, and then was the shocking matter of the Galatea and the re-established link between SOL.

He heard a beep, looking up to see his computer monitor flashing. He stood, walking to the cabinet and pouring him a drink before walking over to his chair and sitting down. Opening the message:

"GTVA Message:
Classified Level Sigma
05/20/2371 00:09 Hours

GTVA has re-established link to SOL. Threat in Delta Serpentis was neutralized by the SOL built Galatea at 05/19/2371 at 2:57 hours. After briefing the ship on the current state of affairs in the GTVA, SOL has once again become part of the Galactic Terran Vasudan Alliance. GTVA Command is currently meeting with the commanders of the Galatea on possible action against the remaining rebelling factions. In response the Galatea has became the GTVA Galatea. All Ships with clearance will be briefed further as Command sees fit.

END MESSAGE"

Simms looked out his view port at the Galatea. Even at 6 kilos away was still by far the most massive ship he had seen, even dwarfing the mighty Colossus. The structure of the ship from his opinion, looking like several Orion class destroyers mutilated with several other ship classes. He could distinctly see the gray and golden pieces of armor off what likely were the Ceto class destroyers of the early Terran/Vasudan War. No doubt SOL's space yards would be full of the bulky, under armed kilometer long warship hulks. But, he could tell one thing, the ship was basically an armored fortress, even with it's zombie looking structure with support beams and miss-matched sections, and from what Pike has stated, it certainly wasn't under armed.

He turned off his computer, rubbed his eyes, and got in his bed, and quickly fell asleep.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:51:49 pm by WeatherOp »
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
DILMAH WANT!

Offline WeatherOp

Chapter 4: The Hopeless Fallen(Continued)

System: System: Ribos

May 20, Year 2371, 00:45 hours.

Bridge: (FORMER)GTD Destiny

A'thor looked out over the bridge, thoughts consumed his mind. Everything had gone wrong, SOC picked up something, he wasn't sure what, he had been very good at keeping his footsteps clean. Still they had knew, but the question is how much. He shook off the thought, not all of it, or they would have acted much differently. What has was doing was right, his mission, to save the human race.

His communicator beeped. Reaching down and pulling it up to his mouth.

"A'thor"

"Sir, please come to the Command room. We have received disturbing news."

"On my way"

A'thor turned and walked toward the elevator, walking by several crew members. After he entered, the door shut and he pulled out a card and inserted it into the slot. The elevator shook a little as it moved upward. With a slight jolt, the elevator stops and the doors opened. and he walked through the doors into the command room. The magnetic locks clicked behind him.

"Sir" a middle aged man wearing an officers garb saluted and handed him a file.

A'thor flipped it open and as he read it, his expression turned sour.

"Are you sure of this, Boaz?"

"Yes sir, we have confirmation from three spies"

A'thor sat in the chair on the end of the long conference table and rubbed his eyes with his hand as he dropped the file on the table.

"Send a message to all the ships in the vicinity. Tell their captains to report immediately for a meeting."

"Yes Sir" Sidney Boaz saluted and walked out of the room.

A'thor sipped his coffee, things had just taken a turn for the worst.

May 20, Year 2371, 02:30 hours.

Command Room: (FORMER)GTD Destiny

The room was filled with chatter as the ship commanders assembled. Everyone quietened down as A'thor entered and sat down with a stack of files in his hand.

"Gentlemen, I fear we have hit another snag."

"Another snag? You said this would be an easy operation." Kieth Brown, commander of the GTD Everest spoke hard.

"I never said this would be easy" A'thor retorted back.

"But yes, you can say that I was at fault earlier, but in this case, even the blame is not on my hands. Boaz." A'thor shook his head.

Boaz dimmed the lights and a large screen lit up.

A media reporter sat at a desk, the graphic on the screen stated" Link with Earth Re-established." The woman began to speak.

"Thanks for joining us, top story tonight is based on the report by the spokesperson of GTVA Command, the link with Earth has been re-established, wait, I'm getting word that a press conference is beginning, we are going live to it"

The screen changed to a conference room with the GTVA logo behind the podium, the room filled with reporters chattering. The room quietened as a man, dressed as high officer walked to the podium.

"Thanks for arriving on short notice, we felt the need for this press conference to assure the population of our commitment to your safety. As all of you know about the stand off in Ribos by Science Minister Paul A'thor, also of the standoff in Delta Serpentis. Well, the stand still in Delta Serpentis has been dealt with.."

A'thor watched the expressions of confusion among the commanders and they whispered briefly between each other.

"Early yesterday morning, by means we are still investigating, several ships entered Delta Serpentis through the jump node from the Solar System, the lead ship, the Galatea quickly destroyed the rebellious ships before making contact with the GTVA in Beta Aquilae. As of right now, SOL is now once again rejoined with the Galactic Terran Vasudan Alliance."

The room filled with chatter from the reporters.

"The commander of the Galatea has agreed to take the ship on the offensive and take back Ribos. We are...."

The screen turned off and the lights brightened.

The room filled with voices.

"Gentleman, gentlemen, please.."

The room quietened and order was restored.

"I didn't bring you here without a solution."

"May I ask, what is your solution?" Stephen Miller, commander of the GTD Superior, sternly said in a sarcastic, unbelieving tone.

"We will get to that soon enough"

"What is the size of that ship? Philip Clark asked.

"Recent reports from our spies say at least eight kilos, armed heavily and with armor we could barely scratch with our combined guns."

"Then what do we do?" Brown asked.

"First of all, we keep our wits. The only reason that was released to the press, was to scare us into action, thus doing something stupid and playing into their plans. We all must remember, it's only one ship and by my calculations, it would take quite a while for it to get into position to be used against us in battle.

"Is our primary goal still the same?" Miller questioned.

"It is, and I must know, what would we all give to protect humanity? After all, even if we don't risk anything, our lives will still come to an end. Therefore I ask you to put your lives on the line, so that your children will live, and not only will they live, but all of us in this room will be remembered as heroes. Saviors of the human race! And our families will bask in that glory. Our children will grow up respected! So, is our individual lives worth saving the ones we love?"

The men all sternly faced, looked at A'thor who was not standing.

"After all, our lives mean little compared to the sustaining of our race. But, I would not ask of you what I would not do myself, therefor my life will be on the line too. We must succeed, gentlemen. We must!"

A'thor slammed his hand on the desk.

"Any objections?"

The men looked around for a second, but not one raised his hand.

"Then it's settled, let us bring true peace to our civilization."

Chapter 4 End.

I do believe this can be used as a basis for a MOD someday. I really do. :) Nice penmanship, good story structure and composition too.  Pat yourself on the back :yes:
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
But then we'd need a SOL/GTVA Galatea model. Which would look pretty kickass, from its description.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
But then we'd need a SOL/GTVA Galatea model. Which would look pretty kickass, from its description.

No chance of using the Orion Phase II, eh?
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Droid803

Heh?
It's supposed to be an 8-km long space fortress that looks like several Orions fused together, with other ships stuck on and exposed girders.

When I read that description, my mind naturally created something with three-point radial symmetry...but that's just me.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
It was a rhetorical question. :)

8 km...that'll be quite huge (although probably not as huge as the SSJ Gigas).
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline WeatherOp

Chapter 5: Sins of Our Fathers

System: System: Ribos

May 20, Year 2371, 00:45 hours.

Bridge: (FORMER)GTD Destiny

A'thor stood, hands clutched behind his back.

"You will all be remembered as heroes."

"Then let us be remembered doing something right." Brown responded over the intercom.

"We won't fail, we can't fail."

A'thor watched as seven of the group's thirteen destroyers along with eight cruisers and three Deimos class corvettes, broke from the group and activated subspace drives and disappeared into the bluish light. A'thor respected them, giving their lives for humanity.

"Course, sir"

A technician on the level below asked.

"Full stop"

All the technicians and some of the officers looked at each other in confusion, none dared to question.

"We will stay at this position for eighteen hours, the proceed to Antares."

A'thor walked from the bridge into elevator. No doubt many were questioning his orders, but it really mattered little, they would see in due time. The elevator shuddered as it reached the officers quarters. The elevator door opened to reveal Col. Boaz waiting, he saluted as A'thor walked out and fell in tow.

"I don't mean to question your orders sir, but wouldn't we be risking both life and mission by moving toward the Galatea in Beta Aquilae?'

"Precisely. Not just Command's new toy, but also the likes of the Vega, my spies have also indicated the Crystal Hope is in Vega, and ol'e Admiral Petrarch, the Aquitane and the whole third fleet is in Deneb, also headed toward Vega and ultimately Antares."

They walked into A'thor's quarters. A'thor hit a switch and the room lit up and the door closed behind them.

"Sir, no disrespect, but isn't that heading into the lion's den? We wouldn't get close to Delta Serpintis."

A'thor went to his safe, unlocking it with his voice and finger print.

"Things are not always so clear my friend."

He pulled out a large rolled up chart, and placed it on his deck while unrolling it.

Boaz looked carefully, clearly it was a star map, an older one to be precise, but the GTI logo on the far side clearly stated it's creator.

"This is our lifeline"

Each system had several coordinates beside it, although a few caught his attention. Boaz pointed to a node.

"This is a mistake, there aren't any jump nodes from Beta Aquilae to SOL."

A'thor smiled.

"That is correct, note the red color, this is a GTI Master Node chart. The jump nodes in red do not exist. The were created to throw off the Vasudans in the Terran/Vasudan War. Had they known SOL had only one entrance and exit, they may have made a greater attempt at a blockade or something of the sort."

"So, this map was designed to fall into enemy hands?"

"Yes, and no, those jump nodes to SOL would have been on every node chart at that time. However, this chart has much more detail and is much more valuable."

"I see."

"Do you see the blue nodes? Those are jump nodes not listed by any computer, nor any other chart. This is where we are going."

A'thor drew a path with his finger.

"I understand now. Do you think the trick will work?"

A'thor sighed.

"It will have too, we are rapidly running out of time."

System: System: Vega

May 20, Year 2371, 23:37 hours.

Bridge: GTVI  Krybo(SOC Command)

Paul Fisher heard a beep, quickly opened the encrypted file to reveal a message.

"Sir"

Col. Jacob Fowler walked behind him.

"We just received a report from one of our spies."

Fowler thought it over, A'thor was dead, killed when the Destiny and his battle group tried to run the blockade on the Ribos node in Antares. The plan had worked to an extent, the group blasted through the blockade into Antares, but lost two-thirds of the group, along with their head-honcho, and would either quickly surrender or be destroyed by the Galatea.

"Sir, a battle group containing six destroyers just jumped into Antares."

Fowler smiled.

"That little snake, what direction is the battle group headed?"

Fisher typed on his keyboard. Looking back at his commanding officer with a puzzled look.

"Open space, sir, they are headed away from all known jump nodes in Antares."

"Looks like he knows of the un-charted node to Betelgeuse, likely headed there to hide and wait this situation out until it all has cooled down. Wouldn't be hard if everyone thinks you are dead."

Fowler thought for a second, great opportunity.

"Open transmission line to 42904."

Fisher typed.

"Line open sir."

A voice came across the intercom.

"Admiral Lewis, receiving you Command."

"This is Fowler, desist all testing exercises in Beta Cygni. We have a real operation that can prove as an successful first test. Proceed to the Betelgeuse system. You will be meeting with some old friends."

"Received sir, and what would you like for us to do with we meet these old acquaintances?"

Lewis chuckled.

"Just see that they don't return from the party."

"Orders received, the Omega is now in full battle operation until the operation is completed. Over and out."

The transmission cut off.

Folwer looking pleased with himself, walked to the elevator.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Nice. As always, can't wait for more :D

Offline eliex

:yes:

This story is getting more and more interesting by each chapter.  :D

Offline WeatherOp

Chapter 5: Sins of Our Fathers(Continued)

System: Betelgeuse

May 21, Year 2371, 11:27 hours.

A'thor's Quarters: (FORMER)GTD Destiny

A'thor sat, his reading glasses on, studying. His desk was cluttered with charts, books, and his computer. A beep from the door caught his attention.

"Enter" He responded before looking back to the book in his hand.

The door opened and Sidney Boaz entered, walked to the desk, saluted and sat in a chair.

"Fascinating isn't it, our own stupidity." he mumbled to himself.

"Sir?" Boaz instinctively spoke before catching a glimse of the tattered book A'thor was reading.

A'thor caught his glance, and pulled the glasses off his head.

"Aken Bosch's journal."  He placed it on his desk.

"Sir, I have followed your orders and cause from the beginning, but I must know, why did you make the choice to rebel against the GTVA?" Boaz asked.

A'thor let out a sigh.

"Because based on their greed, they sent millions to their grave."

Before Boaz could answer, A'thor spoke up again.

"Why, you wonder? This..." he placed his hand on Bosch's journal.

"Because they should have stopped him, killed the insane fool before he got as far as he did. But, they didn't, long before he ever rebelled, we knew he was insane. We knew he was up to something, building something, traveling here and there. We were not blind, not in the least bit to most of his plans, although we didn't grasp the scope of what he was trying to achieve. But, still we let him continue. Later, after the rebellion had begun, I inquired to the Counsel, I inquired to GTA Command and even to the Parliament of Vasuda, but they didn't listen. GTVI had already threw up the smokescreen in their faces of the possibility of Bosch's "super weapon" he may use if pressed to hard."

A'thor poured Boaz and himself a glass of red wine. He sipped his and continued.

"But, we knew he had no super weapon, we just wanted the information on what exactly he had. We could have crushed the Rebellion the day it started using the Colossus. But, we let it grow, so we could possibly get our hands on "ETAK". Well, congratulations to us, we did, but then it was too late." He spoke sarcastically.

A'thor swished his wine around in his glass and took another sip.

System: Antares

May 21, Year 2371, 11:32 hours.

Bridge: GTD Vega

"Sir, we have destroyers just exiting subspace" A tech said as he looked at his display.

Hollis looked close and turned around.

"We have four destroyers, five cruisers and two corvettes, all damaged to some extent, but all still at fully capable."

"Ok, send a message to the Creative and the Baron to use us for cover while returning fire." Simms nodded to a communications technician at the desk to his right.

"Hanley, do we have clearance to engage?"

Hanley was looking at his PDA.

"Yes, Command has given authorization to engage and destroy enemy vessels."

Simms turned to look at the ring of monitors around the bridge that was showing a three-hundred and sixty degree look around the ship.

"Open a channel to the Galatea."

"Open sir."

"Jacobs, this is Simms, command has given orders to mop up these traitors."

"Received, Vega, give us time time, powering up main battery, but it will take five minutes, bringing top and starboard side gun emplacements to bear. Happy hunting, Jacobs out."

The link terminated.

Simms watched as the large cannons of the Galatea swiveled to face the enemy vessels. Simms smiled, vengeance was sweet.

"Helm, four o'clock low, full speed, let us spread our battle formation out, gunnery control open fire when in range."

May 21, Year 2371, 11:35 hours.

"So, that is why you took and then destroyed all the evidence on ETAK"

A'thor was looking out the view port.

"Yes, I could only imagine all the protocols and panic there would have been had the truth leaked out. Not that Command would have acted on it regardless, and it would have turned into another GTI fiasco. They knew what they were doing, and I have little doubt GTVI would have tried the same thing. This is a fight we cannot win.

"How long do we have?"

"Not long, the node has been re-opened to SOL."

Boaz looked down into his glass of wine.

"What exactly was ETAK?"

A'thor swiveled his chair around.

"ETAK is some of what you have heard..."

"So, it was a communication device."

"..and a lot of what you haven't heard."

A chill trickled down Boaz's back.

"ETAK was more than just a communications device, much more."

May 21, Year 2371, 11:39 hours.

Gunnery Control: GTD Vega

A loud beep, and the entire room flashed read. McAllen listened.

"Sir, main guns now in range."

"Ok, Commander Simms, main guns are in range of the...."

His voice wavered as several bursts of fire caught his eye, and he turned to watch the Galatea unleash the main kinetic guns and he followed the huge shells as they tore into the enemy battle group four and a half kilos away. A hapless Fenris cruiser took the shell right in the bridge, the entire ship crumpled back the the engines, then the shell detonated a split moment sending shards of the vessel in all directions.

"This is Simms, fire when ready." Simms shouted over the intercom.

"Roger Sir. Fire main beam cannons A and C at target 43067, the Everest"

"Firing sir."

The lights dimmed and the ship shook a little and two green lances of light poured from the main batteries of the Vega. The first beam hit the rear of the Everest and pounded the hull, fire and molten metal pouring from the wound. The second one pivoted, tearing a long track into the hull.

He then watched as the enemy vessels powered up beam cannons for a counter attack. His gut knotted.

May 21, Year 2371, 11:43 hours.

"So, they know everything."

"That is correct."

Boaz hadn't heard A'thor talk like this, like a defeated warrior.

"Now you understand, you see why we cannot fail. Our lives mean nothing, except to atone for the trespasses our fathers have committed in the name of greed and lust for control."

A'thor downed the last of the wine.

May 21, Year 2371, 11:46 hours.

Space

The Galatea fired it's main cannon, the fluid beam of fire hit a destroyer head on. A shield of fire poured around the ship. The front end of the blaze quickly reached the rear, and when the beam cooled down, nothing but an area of gas remained.

Bridge: GTD Vega

The ship shuddered as two beams slashed the hull.

"Status?"

"Good sir, we've sustained damaged, but it is all minor."

"Excellent."

Simms looked out the starboard side in time to see the Baron shred two Deimos class corvettes with it's dual beam canons located on either side of the ship.

"Incoming jump signature! Friendly configuration."

The Hecate class destroyer slashed through a cruiser with it's forward facing battery, and nailed a destroyer with it's primary gun. The destroyer shuddered as the beam ripped out multiple decks, and the massive ship rolled as it's engines flamed out and multiple explosions rocked the super-structure.

"This is Admiral Petrarch, the Aquitane is now on station."

The message poured over the communications speakers.

"Glad to have you Ol'e Peachy, glad to see you could make it..."

"Sir, the remaining enemy ships are powering down weapons. We are receiving a surrender message."

"The first reasonable decision they've made, tell all ships to break off attack, and tell the destroyers to prepare to be boarded and offer no restiance.

"Aye sir"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 10:15:33 pm by WeatherOp »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Here comes the old man (Petrarch). Never mess with an old man. :D
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
Great story, keep it up :D
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline Droid803

:yes: Excellent as always.
(´・ω・`)

Offline eliex

:bump:

Just cant let this one pass into the abyss  :D
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Yea. Updates please  ;)