Author Topic: A WoD dev blog  (Read 422858 times)

Offline -Norbert-

And don't forget the neon lights on the underside of the wings.  :lol:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I made an imgur album, but I'm kind of iffy about putting the link in any publicly visible places, with imgur being so censor happy when it comes to nipples. I try to have my deviant be for stuff that doesn't appear ingame.
That works just fine, I've seen it. FIY, it can be accessed from any embedded image from it (I sometimes do that when the forum refuses to properly display embedded images).

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
huh, okay well, that's good to know then.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Fun fact, there already is a Dragonfly Ex_s in the tables, it's snarky's entry. So would it be Dragonfly Ex-S_S ?  :p

The Dragonfly EX-SS, preferred fighter of the secret Space Nazis faction.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

So I edited my ships.tbl to reflect the Dragonfly changes you listed because I wanted to see how much of a difference it would make. While losing glide is still a big price to pay the 170m/s super-accelerating afterburner is definitely fun. It still feels weaker than the Ray3 but it does give me a reason to fly it other than "does slightly higher DPS with primaries".

When you punch that burner to quickly get outside an enemy's shooting FOV and then get behind them it just feels so good. And being able to carry a "good enough" supply of LDRPs in a single bank is rather nice, gives me more opportunity to play with HLP-1s and the Volley.

Ya did good, Spewn.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 03:33:18 pm by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Good to hear  :yes:
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I asked Axem if he could add a map of sorts, with like, buttons you can click on, with a mouse. He made the addition to the vn script really quickly. I wanted to shout "it's just a prank bro! I didn't mean it!" but he had already made it so quickly and professionally. So now I'm kind of obligated to make use of it. Delaying the next release of WoD by another 6 months.
I just don't understand gamedevelopment.

I made a youtube of it, you can look at it yourself by clicking on this little box here:
I don't really know how it works, there's a triangle and then images start moving when you click on it. I believe they call it a video on the internets. I'm not really sure.

Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I swear I'm not drunk.
Urutorahappī!!

Are those rapidfire cycle weapons for the UEF? Being able to spray and pray would help with the Ray 1's godawful weapon placement.
Also how long until we have to start buying pictures of ships anime girls to help you release delay WoD?
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Hmm, excellent; one step closer to Persona: FreeSpace...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Are those rapidfire cycle weapons for the UEF? Being able to spray and pray would help with the Ray 1's godawful weapon placement.
The Ray 1 is roughly 10% less of a chore to fly with the new primary and secondary it got.
Also how long until we have to start buying pictures of ships anime girls to help you release delay WoD?
Probably soon, when I run out of funds to keep feeding the Axem that I've got locked in my basement.
Urutorahappī!!

I asked Axem if he could add a map of sorts, with like, buttons you can click on, with a mouse. He made the addition to the vn script really quickly. I wanted to shout "it's just a prank bro! I didn't mean it!" but he had already made it so quickly and professionally. So now I'm kind of obligated to make use of it. Delaying the next release of WoD by another 6 months.

I made a youtube of it, you can look at it yourself by clicking on this little box here:
I don't really know how it works, there's a triangle and then images start moving when you click on it. I believe they call it a video on the internets. I'm not really sure.

If Tolwyn still came around here, this would make him livid that he left the rest of FSO behind, because it's just the thing that would let him make Wing Commander Saga actually be able to be like WC3, WC4, and WC: Prophecy. I'm sure it would be possible to have things like a ship's lounge and various NPCs there with branching conversation lines and have different scripted outcomes for various NPCs in different missions based on VN interface interactions now, if someone was willing to get that complex with it.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
I'm sure it would be possible to have things like a ship's lounge and various NPCs there with branching conversation lines and have different scripted outcomes for various NPCs in different missions based on VN interface interactions now, if someone was willing to get that complex with it.
Like the Dreamscape sequences from War in Heaven.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline -Norbert-

WoD: Challenging the seperation of genres!

I think we need to come up with a new term to describe it. Just Space Sim doesn't cut it anymore... maybe "Visual Space Simulation Adventure"?  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:44:15 am by -Norbert- »

Offline Lorric

If Tolwyn still came around here, this would make him livid that he left the rest of FSO behind, because it's just the thing that would let him make Wing Commander Saga actually be able to be like WC3, WC4, and WC: Prophecy. I'm sure it would be possible to have things like a ship's lounge and various NPCs there with branching conversation lines and have different scripted outcomes for various NPCs in different missions based on VN interface interactions now, if someone was willing to get that complex with it.
I can't see him being livid about it since it would have meant only now, years after the release of WCS, would he be able to get his hands on it, and then it would have to be implemented into the game, which would take a very long time I'm sure. Would the team even have been able to stay together that long to get the job done? The WCS board is dead, all those guys seem to have gone.

Also, I don't know, would the fork that WCS went on even be a barrier to implementing it on WCS now if they wanted to?

WoD: Challenging the seperation of genres!

I think we need to come up with a new term to describe it. Just Space Sim doesn't cut it anymore... maybe "Visual Space Simulation Adventure"?  :lol:
Spoon called it a Space Opera in his promotional material. I think that fits the bill nicely.

Since WCS hasn't, to the best of my knowledge backported ANYTHING since they forked, yeah, I kinda think it would be. Also, the WCS forums are dead because Tolwyn was a dick got mad about some sort of conflict, I think having to do with a disagreement with the SCP and where the SCP wanted to wait until they had thoroughly tested and debugged the features WCS coders (mostly, Tolwyn I think) added, but Tolwyn didn't care so long as the feature did what he wanted for WCS, and so WCS forked and Tolwyn took his forked FSO and went off to the wcsaga website that he was in charge of and thus did not have to listen to anyone tell him that a feature needed to be stress tested and edge case tested, etc. It's almost like IPAndrews and TBP, only IPA stuck around to whine about how his work was supposedly getting stolen when the community took it upon themselves to fix what he chose to ignore.

EDIT: I think we might be derailing the dev blog. Perhaps WCS discussion should be split off?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:17:57 pm by LaineyBugsDaddy »

Offline Lorric

It doesn't matter, because I don't intend to have a discussion in that direction as I see nothing good coming from it. Just remember that history is written by the victors. I've been around long enough to see how many people get chewed up and spat out around here and who does the chewing and the spitting. Be careful of who you trust.

History may be written by the victors, but I was around for the WCS fiasco. Tolwyn would be as helpful as could be about WCSaga stuff when someone needed help, but when the FSO crew kept telling him that a feature wasn't ready for prime time, or that it needed more testing before it could be merged into trunk, he got rude. Tolwyn was someone who, like his namesake character from the Wing Commander games, didn't like being told no.

And that is all I have left to say on the subject. Consider it dropped on my end too.

I wasn't as active when the split happened, so I don't remember how thing went exactly. However, I've never really had much problems with Tolwyn himself to be honest. To me, it's KeldorKatarn that was being a constant dick to everyone and deliberately sabotaged any chance for WCS to have a future of any kind.

Oh Jesus have mercy. I forgot about that guy. Yeah, he was the one who never stopped being a grade 4F prick. Tolwyn just had issues with wanting the features he wanted just as soon as they would let him do what he wanted to do with WCS, and making sure they didn't cause problems elsewhere just wasn't something that mattered to him. He would get downright cranky when the SCP team insisted on doing it right rather than just giving him what he wanted when he wanted it for his pet project. Outside of that, Tolwyn could and would be quite pleasant and helpful. Not sure why he put up with ole' KeldorKatarn's crap attitude. The guy must have been a complete wizard at something Tolwyn needed for his baby; that's the only thing I can come up with.