Author Topic: HTL Iceni  (Read 133087 times)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Hmm :blah:
POCKET DESTROYER TO BREAKING NODAL DEFENSE :lol:
I will quit there :)
Fs2 ships aren't phallic, however what they do is next to it :lol:
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
*sigh*

So when is the HTL Iceni going to be released?

*glares at S-99 and Cobra*

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Judging by the speed of progress thus far, i'd assume it'll be released a day or two after MT :nervous:

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
So never, then, eh?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline knn

The pof exporter is really pissing me off, after crashing max a few hundred times, now it exports the barrels incorrectly (see pic).
It also creates two log files, locks them (so I can't delete them) and appends a few megabytes (23 in my case) to them after each export. A few exports later they are 120 MB large, and for some reason they seem to be kept in memory, so my computer runs out of physical memory and I have to restart Max

I followed the instructions in the readme. The turret bases are named gunturret-x and linked to the hull, named detail-0. The three barrels are one object and they're linked to the bases. The barrels of the smaller turrets are missing because I didn't link them to the bases.
The position of the barrels depends on the main object's pivot point. In this picture, I moved the pivot point to the center of the object before exporting. Before that it was in the front, and the barrels were behind their current position.

Edit: with the original pivot point, marked by the blue cross:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 06:23:51 am by knn »
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Tech/Pof/Max expert STAT! :eek2:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline neoterran

nice rhodium edge visual style from 2001  :p
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Using the latest exporter plugin? Ive not had that problem since the first plugin.
Have you tried resetting xform? Or alter the hierarchy so that the barrels are no longer children of the turret but of the ship.

Offline knn

Yes, it's the latest
Have you tried resetting xform?
What do you mean? I don't use the xform modifier, and the reset scale and reset transform buttons do nothing

Great, it crashed again. Seems to crash only when using export selected
The barrels have to be children of the turret, otherwise it won't work.
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline knn

Found the solution, the pivot point of detail-0 has to be in (0,0,0)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Yes, it's the latest
What do you mean? I don't use the xform modifier, and the reset scale and reset transform buttons do nothing

Reset xform effects the model, regardless of wether you used xform or not.

also; I have converted many a mesh without the barrels as a child of the turret.

Offline knn

Yes, it's the latest

Reset xform effects the model, regardless of wether you used xform or not.

also; I have converted many a mesh without the barrels as a child of the turret.

I wanted to try that, but max decided to crash instead (and I didn't use Export selected). The reset xform utility only alters the scale and rotation, even tough I didn't rotate the barrels IIRC (I did scale them), but doesn't move them.
Making barrels the children of the ship will put them in the correct position, but they won't be the barrel subobjects of the turret. You can fix that in PCS, so it will work.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
LOL
I laugh out of sympathy, this is simply the most dumbass problem to have at the last minute and unexpectedly. Especially the thing with your log files.
But certainly this thing is seeing progress, if anyone else see's, there's more than enough proof the iceni has only a couple of touches left to finishing. And then once in fs2 the iceni gets nodal.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Making barrels the children of the ship will put them in the correct position, but they won't be the barrel subobjects of the turret. You can fix that in PCS, so it will work.

Well, yes. But since you cannot export a fully functioning mesh from 3d max to pof format without needing to do some editting work to it anyway, I see no reason to ignore that possibility. Perhaps Im too old fashoned at this point, but I dont trust autogen features to do a job accurately enough for me.

Offline knn

Click me!

Has not been tested, as my machine is dying and needs a restart. I just imported all data from the original pof file. It should work.
Docking point and thrusters have to be fixed

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Half of the model isn't shiny... I mean, it won't have a specular reflection

Offline neoterran

wow, all these new models coming out right after media vps zeta. lol.

Good job finishing it, (even if it has some extra fixes it needs) its' a damn good model

AWESOME KNN !!!!! :nod:
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Brilliant work, there Knn. :D Now does anyone fancy doing a retexture job for that ship from Derelict while the shinyness is being fixed? Should be simple enough, I think just replacing the Colosus-coloured tile with a Diemos one would probably do that job. If not I may just play that campaign again with this model anyway and Fred in a texture shop myself, in fact if I wasn't revising I'd do that now.
The needs of my belly, outwiegh the needs of the few.

Offline knn

It's not finished yet, turret debris is missing, lods are missing and debris is missing
And of course the Boadicea (the asteroid installation)
Fixed some subsystem positions and thrusters. Didn't fix dockpoint yet as Modelview can't do that
http://files.filefront.com/corvette2r_01rar/;5078276;;/fileinfo.html

Which texture is missing specular?

To be honest I'm not sure now. In the ship viewer-thingy (the f3 thing) the grey texture looks messed on one side but looking at it in mission 3 it seems to be ok, however that mission doesn't have that good lighting for looking at this kind of thing, I'll Fred up a quick lighting test and have a looksee.
The needs of my belly, outwiegh the needs of the few.