Author Topic: Colour  (Read 4753 times)

Offline RandomTiger

I was just wondering about how you are going to handle colour, Star Wars (old style anyway) is mostly black and white ships, no nebulas, no beams etc.

I was just worried that it might not be as visually stimulating as some of the more colourful MOD's. If you decide to keep it accurate to the films I think you should consider what you can do to compensate fot this, perhaps very content full backgrounds or something.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
A lot of conflict took place around planets and asteroid fields, they can provide a lot of interest in themselves. Also, give missile weapons of all types shockwaves (even if they have no "effect"), that'll spice things up a little.

Laser weapons in SW seem to go for speed and quantity over quality, so a hailstorm of laser fire from capital ship turrets should also provide their interest.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Thunder
Also, give missile weapons of all types shockwaves (even if they have no "effect"), that'll spice things up a little.

Anyone who recreates the Ep 2 Asteroid field shockwaves (what was the name of the missile again? Damn the wait between Cinema and video:mad2: ) Will be a legend for the rest of their mortal existence. That thing was so sweet.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
and another thing is that older sw films were done that way due to tech limits: ties in origin were blue instead of white like in first film, and they become more blue chapter after chapter, but i agree that they will remain more desaturated than other things we are used to see with fs2 engin,
also backgrounds became more colorful chapter after chapter, maybe you don't see so much color like fs2 (that isnt completely realistic, if you want my opinion) but i think there may be enough rooms to have an elegant and nice looking product, maybe using true space images, i already have a lot of em, but there are a lot more over internet

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Thunder
A lot of conflict took place around planets and asteroid fields, they can provide a lot of interest in themselves. Also, give missile weapons of all types shockwaves (even if they have no "effect"), that'll spice things up a little.

Laser weapons in SW seem to go for speed and quantity over quality, so a hailstorm of laser fire from capital ship turrets should also provide their interest.

2 points: first, realize that in the SW universe, there are no jump nodes. Therefore, there is no strategic value to holding on to an area of space "out there". Ships can arrive from any angle to any location via hyperspace, forcing all defenses to be kept either very close to home (eg. in orbit), or mobile. Therefore pretty much all missions would take place around a planet. Those that don't would be deep-space rescue missions, hyperdrive broke down, that sort of thing.

Second, in regard to the lasers in the SW universe.... ;7

*ahem*
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
in theory, you're right about hyperspace, but this is a vague issue in the swverse..i mean...nobody really knows how it works and therefore there are some differences between films, books/comics and games:
in the films hyperspace jumps can be done by any ship in any time, it just require a while for the computer to elaborate the right route, and almost all the action is near strategic points (starbases or planets) and not in deep space
in games this is little different:
in xwing,tiefighter and xwing v tiefighter fighters can jump whenever they want, like in films, all the other ships must reach instead a jumpoint, usually defined by a navbuoy
this should be a nonsense if you take care of films, so...what these jumpoints are?
two ways in my opinion:
1-the time to reach them just represent the time your navcomputer need to elaborate calculations
2-there are some "standard" routes, from one point ot another, that don't need calculations and the bigger a ship is the longer it would take for a computer to make calculations(more dangerous the path). so big ships usually follow only the routes+ its easyer for a fighter to follow new routes + probably not all the ships are equipped with a computer capable of elaborate new routes.
this is how i explain it, however, but there are some important proofs:
in balance of power (the wonderful mission pack for xvt) there are some missions where you stand in deep space with an interdictor and force ships to came out from hyperspace, and this can be done only if you already knows a ship's route, so only if there are standard routes
in xwingalliance if i remember weel all the ships, fighters included, need to reach a jumppoint to make the hyperjump, near stations there are different navbuoy for different areas, and you can activate hyperdrive only near jumppoints, like tachyon
btw there should be something about "fantaphysic" in the swcommentaries from Theforce.net maybe i'll give a look there

oh, and thanks for the link:)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
As far as color goes, we'll try to spice things up as much as possible while remaining true to the movies. TIEs and Imperial ships should be black, white, and grey, as that was part of their cold fearsomeness. Like Vader and the Stormtroopers, absolute conformity and superior numbers. Rebel fighter maps will have a warmer tint to them, hopefully. They will have colored but worn paint in different colors and the Mon Cal ships will have subtle tones to them as well. FS2 background nebulae should make things nicer too.

Red and green laser bolts will be blasting all over the place as well. I've written the tables for them based largely on YOUR weapon upgrades, Sandwich. There are Rebel and Imperial turbolasers and huge ion cannons too. However, we lack Rebel capships right now so we haven't gotten the opportunity to fully test them.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
I've written the tables for them based largely on YOUR weapon upgrades, Sandwich.

;7 Isn't it fun to try and approach a Fenris with those turrets? I haven't been able to. :D

EDIT: Just a thought - about the laser mass - I get the impression from the movies that SW turbolasers have no mass at all when they impact something, primarily from the lightsaber blocking them - it would be bashed back if they had any inertial affect, I would think.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline CODEDOG ND

• Dark Agent
hmm I know u can put a shockwave on a laser...what about the EMP effect for the Ion Cannon?  Hmmm...I might have to look at that.  :)
It's a fact.  Stupid people have stupid children.  If you are stupid, don't have sex.  If you insist on having sex.  Have sex with animals.  If you have sex with an animal.  Make sure the animal is smarter than you are.  Just encase of some biological fluke you and the animal have offspring, they won't be as stupid as you are.   One more thing.  Don't assume the animal is protected.  If the animal has a condom, or if female some interuterian device, insist they wear it.  Help stop this mindless mindlessness.  Keep your stupidty to yourself.  This message was brought to you by the Committee of Concerned Citizens that are Smarter than You are.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Sandwich

EDIT: Just a thought - about the laser mass - I get the impression from the movies that SW turbolasers have no mass at all when they impact something, primarily from the lightsaber blocking them - it would be bashed back if they had any inertial affect, I would think.

But on the other hand, the Falcon gets seriously knocked around when hit by the Imperial Destroyer's turbolasers in ESB.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
i like the idea for turbolasers mass
obviously we need something "light" (not like actual beams)
but it may be very fun
the only game with turbolasers was XWA, turbolasers here works in a strange matter: they have an high rate of fire, they cause about the same damage of a standard laser (a single hit), but they fire from 6 km (when lasers have an operativity range of about 1.6km), and at the end they "explode" with an effect similar to WW2 antiairplanes batteries (as seen in esp)
i think that a laser that fires at a long distance (6 km) so to make more difficult the job to bombers (that can launch torpedoes from 6 km, eh), with higher rate of fire, same damage and speed of a standard laser and a certain mass would be very cool

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Karma: Have you looked at the table entries for the weapons I've written? They're probably old ones anyway. I think I'll upload the latest weapons pack in the staff forum; I added comments so it's a good idea to look through them.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Well, about the mass, you're gonna have to find a fine line there - I was unable to approach a Fenris that was armed with my anti-bomber turrets from the CapShip Turret Upgrade - they'd knock me away so fast that my speed, IIRC, was pushing 500 - in reverse!

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
the only game with turbolasers was XWA, turbolasers here works in a strange matter: they have an high rate of fire, they cause about the same damage of a standard laser (a single hit), but they fire from 6 km (when lasers have an operativity range of about 1.6km), and at the end they "explode" with an effect similar to WW2 antiairplanes batteries (as seen in esp)

Yeah i always thought that was cool, cept, well at least on higher settings , Turbolasers did a load more damage than normal lasers... a few hits in your A Wing and you were toast.

I remember becuase of that one mission, where you have to Scout Admiral Holtz's fleet around hoth or whatever.. i could always end up destroying most the ships through using thier own inaccuracy against them. The Dreadnnaught would kill the IMp Star Deuce and the carrack i think i could to kill the dreadnaught and i took out the rest on my own. :)
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline USS Alexander

• I 0wn TAP
    • http://www.ngproductions.nl
Originally posted by Black Wolf

Anyone who recreates the Ep 2 Asteroid field shockwaves (what was the name of the missile again? Damn the wait between Cinema and video:mad2: ) Will be a legend for the rest of their mortal existence. That thing was so sweet.

Ok shall i start at it then..........you mean the seismick charges right?
icq 127261564
www.ngproductions.nl
Tapping I3****

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Anaz

Originally posted by USS Alexander

Ok shall i start at it then..........you mean the seismick charges right?

*shockwave*
BOOOM!!!

that was so cool...scared the crap out of me the first time...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
From the novels, a turbolaser hit has enough power to vaporize a fighter in one hit. We never saw turbolasers blocked by lightsabers in the movies.

Turbolasers do have mass. If you watch the gun turrets in the original trilogy, you'll notice they recoil, the Millenium Falcon is bumped around by them, etc.

X-wings and TIEs use laser cannons, which don't have as much recoil and so probably have relatively little mass. Also, shielded fighters can take multiple hits from lasers before their shields collapse.

Han, the stormtroopers, and pretty much all the droids/troopers in the prequels use blasters. Their mass seems to be negligible, since Luke is able to deflect the bolts from a speeder bike with ease, though they do have some recoil. Blasters are ineffective against both shieled and unshielded fighters.

Still curious about the power of turbolasers? Info on a Star Destroyer's weaponry
« Last Edit: December 07, 2002, 12:46:46 am by 374 »
-C

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper