Hosted Projects - Standalone > Archived Star Wars Conversion Threads

Hi, offering help.

(1/9) > >>

NobAkimoto:
I had a long long post written, but apparently the forum doesn't like me, so I'll have to repost.

The gist of it however, is that I want to offer my services(and the services of the X-wing Community) to help out an effort to get a new platform for SW Space sim gaming.

The X-wing engine is old, outdated, and perhaps more importantly lacks the extensibility now present in FS2 from the source code release.

As webmaster of XWL, and the unofficial keeper of the flame, I want to help transition away from XWA, and to this engine. To that end, I've enlisted the permission of a couple editors to use their models(notably Darksaber, of XWAU fame...)and also the time and dedication to help balance, and obtain the "feel" of SW into any such TC.

Galemp:
:eek2:
*picks up jaw*

Uh, hi. Karma's not here right now, but as vice-lead I can help you out.

Firstly, welcome! You may have seen me at the XWA Upgrade, asking for models, a while ago. Karma ran a SW mod website a while back, and I converted a few of the FS1 SW mod files to FS2, so we joined forces and got hosted. Currently we have all weapons and backgrounds, and a few models. We were dead-set on re-doing each ship from scratch, but it appears we can use some of the XWL models now, which is going to give us a huge boost.

I'm certainly glad you're deciding to make the switch. I feel the same way you do; it's best to go from one outdated engine to another that has more flexibility (and better explosions. ;7 ) Furthermore, FS2 is avaliable for free download from HOTU and has a very powerful and easy to use mission editor. With the source code released, the possibilities are nearly infinite, and if there indeed is not going to be any more sequels to the X-Wing line than this is the 'last best hope for XWL.' (How ironic...)

The XWA Community is welcome here, and though there are some FS2-specific adjstments to be made to the model-building process, the transition should be relatively painless. There are plenty of tutorials avaliable, and help for anything in particular is only a post away. If you help with the output we'll help with the input, as far as models and modelers go. ;)

I'm going to see about getting you internal access so we can talk about administration, permissions, and logistics. If you're looking to move the entire SW space sim community here, we can accomidate it (I think.)

Black Wolf:
Hey - ummm - wow...

Good **** right there I say :D

More warsies for the project :D:D:D

BTW, I'm Black Wolf, I do the interface art and icons for the SW-FS2 project. Welcome to HLP.

NobAkimoto:
Thanks for the welcome. There is a lot of stuff to be done though, particularly since the UVW unwrap stuff will take a hell of a long time to actually do with the current methods of converting...Anyone around to take a crack at it?

Also, does FS2 have a limit to the number of weapons emplacements on say a capship?

Black Wolf:
There's a limit on the number of subobjects, so indirectly yes there is. FS2 models have to be split up into subobjects of less than about 750 polys each, or they wont work in game. All turrets, rotating bits and destroyable subsections have to be submodels. The limits 110 or so IIRC.

What are you converting? If it's opts, I believe GE has a tried and tested method of doing so, and most other formats can be imported into FS2 without too much trouble.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version