Author Topic: Let's talk, HLP!  (Read 83189 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Here's a great example: "Oh, moderators shouldn't fight, it looks bad! Stop telling me to get involved, that's fighting, it's bad." That's pretty frustrating.

Here is something you could do that would be a big help, a huge help to this community:

Play a mod. Go play BtA. Post your thoughts.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
HLP should be a FreeSpace focussed, but by no means a FreeSpace exclusive site.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So we've talked to death about GD and the *ahem* things that happen there. Ok, cool. Opinions made known.

Who's up for some Social Media discussion again? Anyone chomping at the bit to basically make their role here about playing mods, taking screenshots, and posting them on an HLP Instagram?

I run the HLP Twitter account (which mostly means that I let IFTTT and RSS post to it when there's Announcements or Highlights). But I'm going to try and post more often and also want to get a few others the ability to post to it.

How about Facebook? I don't use Facebook. What do people post there these days? Anyone up for posting fake news articles that only reinforce their opinion on HLP's status interesting tidbits about FSO, it's upgrades, and campaigns?

/obviousattemptatrefocusingthethread
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I've said I'm willing to help with Facebook and Youtube/Twitch stuff but it's not my call

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I've said I'm willing to help with Facebook and Youtube/Twitch stuff but it's not my call

Sure it is! Take it away.

There are years of great screenies from the monthly screenshot competitions. Add some tags and context and you can use those for quite a while before you need new material.

As for Let's Plays there are some good ones for most popular big campaigns like BP, Diaspora, nuWoD, oldJAD, Retail with MediaVPs. Contact whoever made them and ask if it's alright to post them on your social media. No need to reupload anything, just link to them. I doubt anyone would refuse free promotion so it should work.

AFAIK there's no LP for BtA or JAD 2.21 which is a bit of a shame but you can always ask one of your testers to make one or something.

Twitch would require much more regular investment and is imo not really worth doing. Unless you can provide new interesting content on a good schedule it's better to just upload anything you've got on youtube. You can have promo streams or podcasts(if you can get some people to agree to do it) but otherwise I think gameplay should be VOD focused rather than live.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:13:57 pm by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If we got someone really hot to stream it'd be great.

I volunteer Darius

Offline Lorric

Alright mjn, then I'll just keep this very short. No Battuta. It's not just about me. And you know this too. I'm far from the only one talking here, and I could reel off a list of names of targetted people, and I'm sure others could too.

On social media pushing of Freespace, what I think is really important is to go into it with a mindset of doing it for others, not for us. Not forcing it, not trying to get people in, trying to help people find something they are unaware of and will really like. What can we do for them, not what can they do for us.

We musn't be desperate or look desperate. Take time and pleasure in speaking of what floats your boat here.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Making a list of people who had to be moderated proves one thing: moderation works!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
How lost we are without High Max. How deprived of DarthWang! How cruelly we persecuted Nakura, who only wanted to post the same threads on every forum on the internet.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Alright mjn, then I'll just keep this very short. No Battuta. It's not just about me. And you know this too. I'm far from the only one talking here, and I could reel off a list of names of targetted people, and I'm sure others could too.

On social media pushing of Freespace, what I think is really important is to go into it with a mindset of doing it for others, not for us. Not forcing it, not trying to get people in, trying to help people find something they are unaware of and will really like. What can we do for them, not what can they do for us.

We musn't be desperate or look desperate. Take time and pleasure in speaking of what floats your boat here.

Do NOT, I repeat, NOT continue this line of posting in this thread. If you have issues with the moderation staff, bring them up in the appropriate forums, not here.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Axem

So we've talked to death about GD and the *ahem* things that happen there. Ok, cool. Opinions made known.

Who's up for some Social Media discussion again? Anyone chomping at the bit to basically make their role here about playing mods, taking screenshots, and posting them on an HLP Instagram?

I run the HLP Twitter account (which mostly means that I let IFTTT and RSS post to it when there's Announcements or Highlights). But I'm going to try and post more often and also want to get a few others the ability to post to it.

How about Facebook? I don't use Facebook. What do people post there these days? Anyone up for posting fake news articles that only reinforce their opinion on HLP's status interesting tidbits about FSO, it's upgrades, and campaigns?

/obviousattemptatrefocusingthethread

Hit me up on IRC later, I got some ideas I want to bounce off of you. :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Los Mèmes: Men Persecuted by Moderators of Evi

I'm sorry it was so good I had to post it

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer

Sure it is! Take it away.

Not really, there needs to be talk about who owns what in terms of running facebooks pages, twitch streams and other things. Also a lot of these things already exist so it would require getting access to these things to do posts.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I would like to see that, Goober. It would be nice to add. Is it possible to have it be retroactively added to existing threads?

I don't understand the question.  You can add tags to whatever threads you want, whether the threads are old or new.

If you mean retroactively generated tags, none of the tags are generated.  They are all assigned by human forum members.

offtopic
Btw why frontlines release topic is not pinned and why FL team never brought this campaign to the installer?

I've repeatedly prodded them to add it to the installer; in fact I offered both Lorric and Black Wolf help with creating an installer text file.  Neither took me up on it.

Yes, but is there a way for tags to be community-moderated? We don't need trolls tagging something maliciously and it having the same level of legitimacy as an accurate tag. Community moderation would be good, or perhaps something where any given tag doesn't show on a thread until X number of people have suggested it?

The mod would only allow people with tag permissions to tag and untag threads.

That's pretty silly, surely it can be bundled into a Windows binary?

Easier said than done, but there is actually a way to do this if one jumps through some hoops.  I'll see if I can dig it up.

Maybe attach it to some special SVN with access for only project heads and only to their folders? No more redownloading gigs of files just to have new, patched version? I used to release pathes to SG as separate modfolders, but this sucked. Anyway probably less, than rereleases of whole mods like BP used to do.

I'm almost finished a feature for the FSO Installer that will allow modders to specify patches in addition to full downloads.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't remember the use-case, but I'm working on a Netflix style mod selection mock-up. Would be handy to use the an installer/launcher combo.. nebula maybe?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Battuta is ****ing owning this thread. +1 for all his posts in here.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
+1 for Spoon's post

This post gains +1 from Spoon's post, causing it to grant +2 to Spoon's post, causing Spoon's post to grant +3 to this post, infinite loop established, Spoonttuta becomes admin

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
There are two active hard-light facebook entities at this time......one page, one group.

Which has more functionality?  Also there is www.facebook.com/buntuscum
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
+1 for Spoon's post

This post gains +1 from Spoon's post, causing it to grant +2 to Spoon's post, causing Spoon's post to grant +3 to this post, infinite loop established, Spoonttuta becomes admin
Unlimited powerrrr
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them